Linux-Advocacy Digest #65, Volume #35             Fri, 8 Jun 01 20:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: UI Importance (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (GreyCloud)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: Any lICQ users here? ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Quantum Leaper")
  Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Linux Capability (WJP)

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:27:16 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> No manual entry for regex.

"man regexp"

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:34:04 +0200

In article <2J9U6.9763$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip for brevity>

> I don't think this is true.  Consider the case of KDE and QT.  KDE was
> distributed seperately from QT, and the end user compiled them together.
> RMS still called KDE a violation of the GPL until TrollTech released QT
> under the GPL license as well.

Yes, that is true, but it doesn't invalidate my argument. KDE is fairly
worthless without Qt. That is why it was in violation of the GPL, because
it *depended* on a library that was released with an incompatible
license. That was also why some people started work on a GPL'ed
implementation of the Qt API. As I said, my example is a grey area, but
IMO on the right side of it. Of course, YM and that of a possible judge
MV.

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:32:23 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 14:03:36 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What the fuck is a "Penguinista"?
> >
> >Militant, rabid Linux defender/supporter. It's not a derogatory
> >term, but it has become one somewhat.
>
> Who the fuck came up with a term like that?

It's pretty standard. Anyone who is a militant rabid defender
of something is generally called a <term>inista.

-c

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:36:07 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Because Penguinistas live in a world where everything should be free
> and everyone's happy and roses grow everywhere =)

That would be cool!

Chris, aspiring Penguinista!

Viva Linux!  Linux si, Windos no!

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:38:13 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > What the fuck is a "Penguinista"?
>
> Militant, rabid Linux defender/supporter. It's not a derogatory
> term, but it has become one somewhat.

Viva Linux!  Muerte al Microsoft!

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:40:02 GMT

> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 05 Jun 2001
> >open

> >> What makes you say that?
> >>
> >Piracy of films,  if everyone could look at the decoding software.
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.  If your logic were valid, video tape would be
> non-existent these days.  "Piracy" is a bogeyman; only a threat to
> profitability for someone who doesn't have a valid business model.

I guess you should explain that to the Film industry.  You do realize the
Film industry,  tried to stop Sony from marketing the Betamax.  Sony won in
court,  so now we have Video tapes.   Just look at what the recording
industry did to DATs,  they killed that format,   the Film industry wasn't
that lucky with Video Tapes.

> >I don't
> >remember the name of the DVD ripping program but 'DVD community' is
taking
> >the programmer to court over it.
>
> The name of the program is DeCSS, IIRC.  The decode algorithm you speak
> of has been printed on T-shirts, though, at this point.  I think you're
> a bit behind the times.

Ahh,  you know more than me,  since I'm not a pirate.  All I remember is
they were taking the programmer to court.

> >> Why?  If they don't want DVD, then why would it be a problem that they
> >> don't want DVD?
> >>
> >If there were open source decoding software,  the pirates would have a
field
> >day,  atleast that what the 'DVD community'  thinks.
>
> If piracy were anything but a bogeyman, the 'DVD community' would
> already be gone and forgotten.

I guess you should inform the MPAA of that little fact.

> Personally, I am a member of the "DVD community" because I rent DVD's
> rather than videos from Blockbuster, because they have director's
> commentary, which I love.

I guess your definition of the 'DVD commuity' is slightly differnent than
mine...

> But then, I am not a media corporation trying to profiteer on copyright,
> like most of the 'DVD community'.

You may call it profiteer,  but they call call making a profit off what they
rightfully own.  Amazing,  thats sounds the argument that the Pirates make
all the time.

> >> Uhuh, we knew that, what IS your point?
> >>
> >It called an example....
>
> An example of what?

 Available software...

> >combo
> >>
> >> Hmmm....  Now it is "a DVD or CDRW".  Hmmmm....
> >
> >No, it both in alot of cases,
>
> The case under discussion is DVD.  Only DVD.  Get it?  You said "DVD".
> Had I known you meant "DVD or CDRW" I'd not have gotten into the
> discussion.  If you want to back-peddle, just say so, OK?

Consider the DVD is cheaper than a CDRW in most cases,  they would tend to
sell more.   You have a wierd sense of back peddling....

> >but most computers let you choose either a
> >DVD, CDRW or both.
>
> I had presumed, in making the claim that you did, which I thought stupid
> and ludicrous, you had some statistics that refute the fact that almost
> everyone overwhelmingly, and correctly, chooses CDRW, given such a
> choice.  I guess I was wrong, given your back-pedlling.

All you need to do,  is go to any store that sells computers,  and see what
is currently available.   Statistics tend to be outdated anyway.
Observation can be just a vaild.

> >I know alot of computer have a DVD and CDRW installed
> >when you buy them.
>
> I know of NO computers that have a DVD and CDRW installed.  EVER.  I
> have browsed stores, sites, and catalogues, and have never ONCE seen a
> computer offered with both.  Typically, it is an either/or decision,
> though occasionally only one alternative is available.

After checking with some sites,  almost all computer have a CDRW or DVD as
standard,  if you want both,  it will cost a little extra.  Try Gateway.com,
I know they have them,  also my friends computer came with a DVD and CDRW,
and I think he got it at Best Buy.   I don't remember off had the brand,
but it  may be Sony.  You should have said,  you own NO computer that has a
DVD or CDRW.   I can't think of any of my friends who don't have a DVD or
CDRW,   most of the new ones have DVD and the older ones have CDRWs.

 > >Just check out someplace that sells computers,  Max...
> >I guess Linux users never buy new computers,  they just go dumpster
driving.

> What gave you the impression I was a Linux user?

Most Advocates use the OS they Advocate.  All it does is lessens your
arguements.

> I am a Linux *advocate*.  I do not use Linux, no.  Not at the moment,
> anyway.

Who uses Windows 95B,  that makes you a great Advocate...

> >> Make shit up based on your naive personal experience if you want to,
but
> >> I would suggest getting your head out of your ass and getting some real
> >> statistics first, before saying stupid things like "most PCs come with
> >> DVDs these days."
> >>
> >Just go into Best Buy or someother place that sells computers,  most have
> >DVDs,  since DVDs are CHEAP,  you can buy a Drive unit alone,  about 50
bux,
> >16x DVD speed, 40X CDRom,  if I remember correctly.  They about twice the
> >price of a CDRom today.  The companies are putting them in computers,
> >today!   I know my friend got a mid range P3 computer,  under a $1000,
it
> >included a CDRW and DVD drive.
>
> You still don't seem to understand.  The discussion has nothing
> whatsoever to do with CDRW.  NOTHING.  Get it?

DVDs tend to be sold more than CDRWs,  get it?

> >BTW I just got done advising a friend on new computer,  I guess I have
> >priced computer a Gateway,  Dell,  CDW and a bunch more.   Like I said,
> >just about all the computers come with a DVD or CDRW,  its up to the
> >customer.    I don't remember any who just had CDRoms....
>
> I don't remember you providing even a slight hint that you have any idea
> at all how many times the DVD option is chosen.  It is one thing to be
> caught back-pedalling.  It is something else to be caught back-pedalling
> when your original point was just blowing smoke.

So your saying they are SELLING more CDRWs?   I tend to lean the other way,
since DVDs are cheaper than CDRWs.   It quite simple Max,  if they offer a
DVD or CDRW as the options,  most stores only offer the package that sell
the most.

> Don't come around here no more, OK?  Unless you want a spanking.
>
> Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

Ignorance of Max is no exuse.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:44:29 -0700

>         GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > drsquare wrote:

> >> Well, that doesn't say a lot for Windows98 then does it?

> >> Why would you want a token ring card in the first place?
> >
> > Well, there is a reason and that reason was based on network congestion
> > in a lan.
> > IBM gives it a useability factor of 95%, whereas ethernet gives you 29%
> > before things bog down.  Get too many users pushing too much traffic and
> > ethernet collision rates start to climb which is why IBM made token
> > ring.  The down side is that a good token ring set up requires two
> > cables or rings instead of one cable. More wiring makes it more
> > expensive.  But with home networking ethernet moves along at a fast
> > rate.
>
> This was true enough when 10Mb half duplex ethernet was all there
> was. These days with !00Mb full duplex ethernet and switches it is no
> longer the case. The token ring was a nice design for its time though
> but as you said a lot more expensive than ethernet.

Yes, I forgot about the 100mb part.  Guess I'm getting behind as I get
older.
I think it was IBMs biggest thing in advertising ... guaranteeing load
rates.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:48:58 GMT

> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 05 Jun 2001
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> What percentage are you calling "most", and why do you think you can
> >> suddenly include CD writers?  You're not trying to pretend you included
> >> CD writers when you claimed that most new PCs have *DVDs*, are you?
> >>
> >Most company let the comsumer pick which drive they want,
>
> Again, do you have something more specific than the word "most"?  A
> statistic or something, maybe?

Observation of what is being offered locally and on the web.  I helped a
friend pick out his new computer,  a few weeks ago.   CD-Rom are not offered
as standard anymore,  though if you want to be cheap about it,  you can get
one.  It saves maybe $30 or so and the CDRoms isn't that much faster than
the DVD or CDRW they offer.
All I know is if anyone else wants me to help the pick a computer,  I am
going to charge them more!

> >and from my
> >friends,  most pick BOTH drives,
>
> I've never seen a system available with both a DVD and a CDRW.  A DVD
> and a CDROM, sure.  Maybe you don't understand the difference?

Most come with one or the other,  and a small cost you can the other.

> >or the DVD since it CHEAPER then the CDRW.
>
> Well, you can't write to a DVD, after all.

Not everyone wants to backup their software,  or they want to save money on
the computer.   CDRW tend to be about $100 more than a DVD which is $25 more
than a regular CDROM, and if you don't want anyone of those you could save
$25 more.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any lICQ users here?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:50:22 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Richard Thrippleton"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If so, questions need answering. Is it just a problem with my version,
> or have the protocols on WinICQ clients been changing recently?
> Recently, I've been unable to send messages directly to more and more
> Windows users. Some ICQ servers kick me off saying invalid protocol
> number, and file transfers to me result in errors in the log about 'TCP
> v6 encryption'. What the f*ck are AOL playing at?
>
> Richard

What client is that? I use GnomeICU and all my friends are (still) on
Windows, and I have no trouble at all (Well except that it won't run over
ssh, but that's a configuration issue with Gnome).

Mart

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:42 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:01:24 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Ray Fischer wrote:

>> >Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
>> >dangers of all sorts.
>>
>> Rule #1:  Don't volunteer to go where people will be trying to kill you.
>
>Rule #0: if one is a male individual, and thus, subject to being drafted,
>volounteer, so that you can CHOOSE your Military Occupational Specialty.
>
>Draftees are invariably funneled into the infantry.

What? Do you still have conscription in your country?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:43 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:55:26 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>    flatfish> And poisoning a childs mind is sick....
>>
>> Yes, lead poisoning is a bad thing.
>>
>> However teaching kids about homosexuality is nothing
>> like that.
>>

>You're right.  It's much worse.

Please explain why.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:44 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:36:01 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"." wrote:

>> > Fascism is a form of socialism, which is distinct from Communism (which is
>> > another form of socialism).
>>
>> Yet another thing that aaron knows exactly nothing about---historical
>> chronology.
>
>Your research is deficient.

You can talk. You never do any research to back up ANY of your claims.

>> > Now, quit being an ignorant retard, and accusing free-market people of
>> > supporting socialism.
>>
>> I never said that, you complete moron.  I didnt even *imply* it.
>>

>You said I'm right wing.
>
>Right wing ideology is a form of socialism

Is it?

>QED, shit-head.

Whatever you say...

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:45 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:39:31 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"." wrote:

>> > Monogomous heterosexuals have no such problems.
>>
>> Neither do monogomous homosexuals.  They do exist you know.
>
>Only lesbos.
>
>Male homosexuals are notorious for being incredibly promiscous....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I just had to laugh at that statement. If you weren't just a
troll deliberately trying to provoke outrage, I'd think you had a
mental illness!

>> Also, most heterosexuals are *not* monogomous,
>
>Kinsey's research was flawed....in fact, deliberately so, and then, he
>cooked books, too.  Even the Kinsey Institute for Sexual Research
>admits to this.

Who? Is this another one of your "reliable sources"?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:46 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:30:11 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)) wrote:

>Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Neither do monogomous homosexuals.  They do exist you know.
>>
>>Only lesbos.
>>
>>Male homosexuals are notorious for being incredibly promiscous....
>
>Kulkis got dumped by his boyfriend?

Yeah, Kuntis was just TOO QUEER for him.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:47 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:42:07 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Corpus Callosum)) wrote:

><flame>

<snip>

>Taaaaake onnnnn meeee.... take on me.... taaaake meeeeee
>ooooon! ... I'lll beeee goooone...
>
>Love shack! Baby, Love shack!
>
></flame>

Have you been drinking?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:47 +0100

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:27:16 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> No manual entry for regex.
>
>"man regexp"

No manual entry for regexp.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:01:48 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:32:23 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Militant, rabid Linux defender/supporter. It's not a derogatory
>> >term, but it has become one somewhat.
>>
>> Who the fuck came up with a term like that?
>
>It's pretty standard. Anyone who is a militant rabid defender
>of something is generally called a <term>inista.

Erm, I haven't and I don't know anyone who's ever used such a term.
And wouldn't that mean Windows advocates would be known as
"shitOSinistas"?

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:58:45 GMT

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:41:58 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Well, you can't write to a DVD, after all.
>
> Of course you can. If you've got about £1000 spare.

You can get a DVD-Ram drive which start around $230 in the US.   I think
thats only the drive,  no decoder card or anything extra.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:58:28 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Corpus Callosum"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <flame>
>
> Why are KDE and Gnome both attempting to replicate Microsoft Windows
> when technologies like XML and CORBA would make something so much more
> elegant possible?

Have you actually ever *used* a Linux system, let alone read the
developer docs for these two desktop environments? If you make one *huge*
*glaring* error in your first sentence (I leave it to the rest to figure
out which one), how are we to take you seriously?

Damn Troll.

Mart

From: WJP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Capability
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:05:25 -0500

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:57:18 -0600, cash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AOL instant messenger has been ported to Linux. Goto www.aim.com, and get
>the details.

//snipped for brevity//

Thanks, cash!