  Re: IBM Goes Gay (Charlie Ebert)

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:15:21 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 19:35:55 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Bowling for dollars.

Oh man do I remember that game show!

Bob Murphy the NY Mets sportscaster was the host and it was the
cheapest show on TV.

You'd get a $1.00 a pin and then you would have to split it with your
"pinpal" which was a name drawn from a large basket.

I was in school at the time and we used to make fun of that show all
the time.

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Rich." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: what the heck is going on with the NYSE?
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:22:13 GMT

1 time in 2-1/2 years is better than pretty good.  How many times has your
computer crashed in that time?

--
Rich

Some days you get the bear and
some days the bear gets you.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:38:57 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b20d820$0$94308$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <3b14069b$0$94306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > [snip irrelevant]
> > >
> > > we're talking about currently shipping MacOSes, not lala-ware.
> >
> > So where does that leave M$ when it comes to security? At the
> > bottom of the pile.
>
> Do YOU even know what you're talking about? Have you ever
> heard of NT or Windows 2000?

If he's like most of us he probably can only wish he hadn't.
My latest disaster with NT was a box set up as an ftp
server by someone who follows the updates and patches
pretty closely but it still ended up with a directory named
'PRN' last weekend that couldn't be removed and a bunch
of hidden files under it that half the world was downloading,
consuming most of our internet bandwidth.   Security?

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:46:28 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Jim Polaski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > If you consider that HTLM is a very weak page layout format to begin
> with,
> > > you will realize that no two web browsers ever display a page exactly
> the
> > > same, thus *EVERY* web browser alters it to some extent.  It's possible
> for
> > > your page to be included in other pages via frames and many other
> things.
> > >
> > > This is the nature of the net.  It's also not all that different from
> > > Netscapes "What's related" function.  The only difference is that the
> smart
> > > tags appear inline (it doesn't change your actual page, just provides a
> way
> > > to hover over words and get more information).
> >
> > It provides a way for links to be followed from a page that were not
> > intended to be there. If I write a page, I dont want m$ changing it.
>
> And how is that any different from the links available based on a page from
> the Netscape "What's related" feature?

1. Its a micro$oft "feature"
2. Please describe this "what's realted feature". I am not familiar with
it. I rarely go to a netscape page purposely.
3. Benefit of doubt... even if it were the same, how would that excuce
micro$oft?
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 02:43:46 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b20d83a$0$94306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3b204db4$0$214$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:36:03 GMT, Christopher L. Estep
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Name a feature that it lacks compared to Office 97.
> >
> > Can you embed a spreadsheet application within a word processing
document
> > all within a slide show presentation? Clicking on any section allows
full
> > power editing of that item within the native app.
>
> Hell, that's not just O97, that's Windows in general =)

Is it so difficult to open a new window in the operating system
that applications have to hide all that trouble from the user?
Or is this really just a ploy to force all the people who share
any data files to buy all of the same application programs?
(Which is most effective if you can get your apps bundled
with new PCs so everyone else in the office then has to
buy a copy of the app the boss got with his new box).

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:48:19 -0400

Dan wrote:

> In article <ujbU6.10069$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > with,
> > the
> > for
> > things.

> > smart
> > way
> > >
> > > It provides a way for links to be followed from a page that were not
> > > intended to be there. If I write a page, I dont want m$ changing it.
> >
> > And how is that any different from the links available based on a page from
> > the Netscape "What's related" feature?
>
> Nothing.   This is just typical knee-jerk reaction here.   It's a
> Microsoft innovation, so it's automatically suspect and evil.

Thats right. It is from micro$oft, so it is suspect and evil. Lets see,
you see a serial killer walking down the street, and a body lying in the
street... whats your guess?

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Frog2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 Jun 2001 01:45:35 -0000
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.men

sunbird ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> "." wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > We have a special word for people who don't recognize danger............
>
>> Recruits?
>
> body bag filler

body bags are uncle sams' condoms.
when you see them you can be sure he's been fucking around...
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
 - bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: Chris Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 08 Jun 2001 23:16:16 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Siebert) writes:

>Maybe Y2.038K will pull me out of retirement like Y2K did for all the
>COBOL graybeards :)

I can't work out whether I count as a greybeard or not. I don't have
great growth to produce a convincing beard yet, but parts of it, if I
persevered, would definitely be grey. Perhaps being somewhat between
languages is the problem.
--
Chris Morgan <cm at mihalis.net>                  http://www.mihalis.net
      Temp sig. - Enquire within

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dennis G. Allard)
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: 8 Jun 2001 20:37:11 -0700

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<84aU6.9834$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > I'm talking about what they [the NYSE] use for managing trades.
>
> Well, their web site runs under AIX, so one would assume that they're
> probably a big IBM shop, and are probably running trades under AIX and/or
> OS/390.

If they were running anything Microsoft, they would have crashes so much
more often it would make this little down time look like a holiday!

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 8 Jun 2001 22:45:08 -0500

wrote:

> Nothing.   This is just typical knee-jerk reaction here.   It's a
> > Microsoft innovation, so it's automatically suspect and evil.
> >

> Thats right. It is from micro$oft, so it is suspect and evil. Lets see,
> you see a serial killer walking down the street, and a body lying in the
> street... whats your guess?

I fail to see the connection........

Dan

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 23:58:21 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> "." wrote:

>man is
>nor

> > > The purpose of military is NOT to die for one's country....
> >
> > > or, as the DI in "Full Metal Jacket" so eloquently put it:
> >
> > > " [describing a screw up] and then you'll be DEAD Marines....and then you'll
> > > REALLY be in a world of shit, because Marines don't die without permisssion."

> > > Do you enjoy your constitutional freedoms?
> >
> > > a) no
> > > B) YES
> >
> > > If so, thank a soldier.
> >
> > Oh and by the way, how exactly were you defending my constitutional freedom
> > in saudi arabia?
>
> Simple.
>
> Freedom to conduct business without your fuel prices being subjected to gouging
> by a Moscow-created Hitler-style dictator.

I think you should look at your history. The dictator was created by the U.S.A.
The Russians had nothing to do with his creation. He was buddy buddy with
president numb nut's dad.

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: 8 Jun 2001 22:59:07 -0500

wrote:

> > And how is that any different from the links available based on a page from
> > the Netscape "What's related" feature?
>
> 1. Its a micro$oft "feature"
> 2. Please describe this "what's realted feature". I am not familiar with
> it. I rarely go to a netscape page purposely.
> 3. Benefit of doubt... even if it were the same, how would that excuce
> micro$oft?

You really need to learn something about this before you attack it.
You only look foolish here.

The "What's Related" feature has NOTHING to do with "a netscape page".
It's a feature of the Netscape 6 browser.   It's sorta like the IE 6
Smart Tags, but not nearly as clean or easy to use.

You see, I know because I've actually used both.   Unlike you, who
obviously have used neither IE 6 not Netscape 6.   Of course, that
doesn't stop you from having opinions about either.

Trust me - once you folks understand this and see it, it will be "Why
didn't someone think of this sooner?".   I see no reason why IE 6 for
the Mac - or even for OS X - could not get this great feature.

Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pascal Haakmat)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:59:37 GMT

drsquare wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:09:48 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't see how you're supposed to search for something like what you
>>> typed. I doubt typing "i[intArray]" into google would yield too many
>>> results.
>>
>>Ithink 4,240 results qualifies as "too many."
>>
>>Never underestimate Google. }: )
>
>Yeah, but I bet most of them are part of a piece of source code or
>something...

So what? If 4000 pieces of source code won't teach you the meaning of
"i[intArray]", then nothing will.

------------------------------

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:05:58 -0000

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>They plug in the system and use a display on the shelf and
>keyboard/mouse and sure enough when he boots up the entire system
>freezes with a BSOD complaining about corrupt files.
>Of course the idiot had no current back up and he said everything was
>fine until he installed the Win98me upgrade which he paid $125.00 for,
>so he said.

Assuming those are US dollars, if this guy paid $125 for the upgrade
license for WinME or Win98 then he got gypped.  Most places I've
seen sell them both for $90.

I suppose $125 would be about right if they're Canadian dollars.

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 09 Jun 2001 04:06:20 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:12:15 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Windows XP isn't processor intensive. My 233 mhz hovers around 6%
>> > processor usage 99.9 % of it's life.
>>
>> Good lord! My Linux box (a P133) seems to run on 0.1% to 0.5% most of the
>> time. What on earth dows XP spend 6% of the time doing?
>>

> HEHEHHE.... reporting back to Microsoft headquarters keeping an eye on
> him!
>
>:-)

Windows 95 used to run the cpu at 100% when doing absolutely *nothing*
some said it was to scan the keyboard, so its nice to see MS have managed
to cut that down to < 6% :)

Here's mine.
load average: 0.15, 0.06, 0.01

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: Frog2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 Jun 2001 03:32:32 -0000
Subject: Re: double whopper with cheese a threat to heterosexuals
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,soc.support.fat-acceptance,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh

aaron wrote:
> Ulysses wrote:
> > Other than the danger of bigoted, homophobic, religiously
> > fundimentalist (and a crummy form of the religion in question) nazis
> > such as post in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, what danger did you have in
> > mind?
>

> I never gave a shit

ahem

> about them until they started turning themselves
> into modern-day versions of Typhoid Mary.

if you don't let any of them fuck you up the ass what does it matter to
you?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:49:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>All software developed by the U.S. Government, written in house
>>or funded and written by a contractor should be GPL'd.
>
>Dunno about going that far.  There may be international issues,
>for example; also, it's far from clear that the GPL is as free
>as it should be.  (It's far from clear that it isn't, either.)
>
>I'd frankly have to study the issue in some detail; since I'm not
>a lawyer, it's not clear how useful that would be. :-)

If you have a situation where you have some secret government
cyber coding project, you can still GPL this code and not release
it or the binaries to the public.

I don't think a regular copyright would do any more for
security of secret processes.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:53:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, flatfish+++ wrote:

>This guy was going ballistic and putting on quite a show and when he
>started screaming about how Windows sucks and CompUSA should be sued
>for selling inferior programs and so forth someone said why don't you
>run Linux?

Myth #1 with MS software.
If something goes wrong I can sue somebody.

Unless you happen to be smoking a pack of cigarettes
or near second hand smoke when the computer fails,
you will probably not get any lawsuit money for
a Windows failure.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 04:56:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>pip wrote:

>> > deviancy effects EVERYONE.
>>
>> Yes I know - am I am being effected by you. Case in point.
>> Can you just stick to technology at least ?
>
>sure.
>
>shove that windows shit up Bill Gates's ass.

Bill's ass now carries a seperate encrypted code,
thus making his ass the safest ass on the net.

--
Charlie
=======