Linux-Advocacy Digest #88, Volume #35             Sat, 9 Jun 01 20:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (GreyCloud)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Rick)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Opera (drsquare)
  Re: Opera (drsquare)
  Re: Here's a switch for a change (drsquare)
  Re: A Browser is a Browser (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning. (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Desktop Linux ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: UI Importance ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Rick)
  Re: A Browser is a Browser ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: A Browser is a Browser ("Adam Warner")

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:07:01 -0700

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> > Well, I'm having to do a lot of work arounds with VC++6.0.
> > For some reason or other they've got the private sections of classes
> > screwed up.
>
> How so? I haven't noticed a problem here, and I have
> used this product.

I'm not sure why its screwed up... it just screws up on some classes
with private members. I have to put the private members into public and
then it will compile fine.
That's why I say, and for all intents and purposes, their class and
inheritance mechanism is somewhat broken.  I lose encapsulation this way
by making the members public. No data hiding.  It is real wierd that
some code works and some won't.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:11:34 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In ashen ink the dread hand of Dan did inscribe:

> > > Your site is not changed by this.   Only the display of the page on the
> > > computer running XP has certain words underlined to create new links.
> > > Your page has not changed AT ALL.
> >
> > > Dan
> > Let me give an example, my competitor has a web site featuring a certain
> tool,
> > using Smart Tags I create a link to MY website. Still think I didn't
> change
> > your intent when you created your webpage?
>
> Yes.
> Because what you did is to change *your* presentation of the page.
> You *are* aware that MS has no special magical power that allows a browser
> to change the page on the server, aren't you?

Thats NOT the point. If I dont want links on my page, then there should
be no links. It is published in a certain way. micro$oft has no right to
change the way the page is viewed.
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:07:51 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't like apmidled either, but look at the kernel code and you will
> see what it is intended to do. I'm not convinced it does it, though!
> What if the bios does not support the bios call being made?
>
> Peter

Well, under my 2.2.19 kernel, the Gnome battery applet gives a prediction
of 2.5 hours on a full battery, whereas under 2.4.5 with kapm-idled
running it gives me 3.5. I don't get these running times, as I tend to
use the laptop, but subjectively, the 2.4.5 kernel lasts a little longer,
so it would seem to help.
As for the bios support, hey I bought an IBM for a reason! They seem to
be rather well supported by Linux.

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:32 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 04:48:54 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS | PL" <winxp beta@ home .com>) wrote:

>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> You don't seem to understand, JSPL.  All you did was change the numbers
>> that someone *else* gave.  They, like you, were claiming that an upgrade
>> is trivially inexpensive.  All you did was come up with drastically
>> lower (and one would think, then, less reliable) numbers.  And the point
>> remains the same.  Monopoly crapware costs you money in ways that aren't
>> part of the list price.
>
>I don't know anything about "Monopoly crapware" especially if your talking
>about software because no one company can possibly posses a monopoly on
>operating systems. But I do know that Windows XP saves the consumer money in
>ways which are far above and beyond the price of the list price. Actually if
>you add in savings realized in NOT seperately purchasing it's newest bundled
>software, CD burner software, video editing, etc... the OS could be
>considered *FREE* for some.

Now you've DEFINITELY been drinking.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:34 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 05:03:50 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS | PL" <winxp beta@ home .com>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Actually I didn't say that. Your just not bright enough to read very
>well.
>> >What I said was (for the third time), the storage portion XP requires on
>an
>> >80gb drive which currently sells for $208 at pricewatch.com is about
>$2.60.
>> >Get it yet Einstein? The cost to store Windows XP is $2.60.
>>
>> Erm, no it isn't. You can't just get the 80GB drive for $208 and cut
>> off a 1GB portion. You either buy the whole thing or get a smaller
>> drive. You can't just pay the $2.60
>
>You can use the $2.60 figure when you calculate the storage cost of the
>data.

No you can't. You're talking completely out of your arse.

>Actually, if you need to buy a drive to accomodate WindowsXP, you needed a
>bigger drive anyway.  Hard drives produced in the last few years can easilly
>handle the tiny footprint that XP requires, it's a total "non issue" that is
>causing you way too much concern.

I somehow think not. You're looking at at least £60 for a new hard
disk.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:35 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 15:30:18 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>
>> Why are you spending money to make up for bad design?  You just have
>> money to burn, or do you get a kick-back somewhere?  If you wanted to
>> spend the money, that's fine.  Why does Microsoft have the power to
>> cause millions of dollars in *OTHER* people's money to be spent in order
>> to make up for bloated monopoly crapware that nobody wants to begin
>> with, but has to get in order to continue to keep up with monopoly churn
>> on a product which is the most notoriously unreliable in the entire
>> field of IT?
>
>I'm NOT having to upgrade hardware, that;'s the whole point. And neither
>will anyone else who's running a 233 or better on 64mb of ram, and has a
>1gig HD.

Weren't you the one just before saying you'd need a much bigger hard
disk than a 1BG? And as for the 233 processor and the 64MB of RAM,
even if it did work at that, I suspect it would do nothing but grind
to a halt if you did so much as move the mouse.

>If you can't afford a computer or can't afford the two year upgrade
>cycle get out of the game and stop complaining. It's pretty simple. Systems

What the fuck? Anyone who can afford to upgrade their computer every
two years may as well just buy a gold monitor and diamond studded
keyboard and have done with it. Absolutel NO OS should require
upgrading your hardware every two years. That's an absolute disgrace.
Linux could run on a 100mhz on 4Mb of RAM, and still out perform
Win98. Now what does that tell you?

>are growing more complex and bigger as you read this. Get used to it, or sit
>fat and happy in your Model T shaking your fist at all the "whipper
>snappers".  Either way makes no difference to the world.

Erm, what the fuck are you on about?

>> Just how stupid are you, sir?  It is one thing to tolerate Microsoft; it
>> is something else to celebrate them.
>
>I celebrate Microsoft! Thank you Microsoft for providing me with a crash
>proof OS (Win2k) and thank you for improving it for consumers with the
>upcomming release of WinXP. T Max Devlin thanks you too!

Thank them for what? Making you splash out on £500 every two years to
keep up? Making you use unreliable, bloated, slow, buggy, insecure
software? Treating you like a 5 year old? What?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:40 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 21:06:38 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Get it yet Einstein? The cost to store Windows XP is $2.60.
>
>If the cost is $2.60, why do you have to pay $208?
>Now tell us again how much it really will cost you to get that
>60M EDO RAM raised up to the 64M you need just to run
>the OS, and just for fun, tell us what it would cost to give
>that machine the 128M minimum you would need to run some
>apps.   And please use real costs this time and be realistic about
>the fact that you will have to toss your old SIMMs and replace
>the whole set.

And the fact that you can't buy an 1/80th of a hard disk!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:41 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 18:09:16 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:ydwU6.35222$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> If the cost is $2.60, why do you have to pay $208?
>> Now tell us again how much it really will cost you to get that
>> 60M EDO RAM raised up to the 64M you need just to run
>> the OS, and just for fun, tell us what it would cost to give
>> that machine the 128M minimum you would need to run some
>> apps.   And please use real costs this time and be realistic about
>> the fact that you will have to toss your old SIMMs and replace
>> the whole set.
>
>I don't have to toss anything, or buy anything.  My cost is zero. I have it
>running on a computer I bought several YEARS ago. So how much did it REALLY
>cost? $0.00

Erm, could you let us into the specifications of this computer?

>Didn't even cost me the $2.60, it runs on 60MB EDO RAM. MY cost to provide
>it with enough ram = $0.00. It runs every app I throw at it. And I might
>add, it runs quite a bit FASTER than Mandrake ran on the same exact computer
>last weekend. Talk about slow! My god! I'm usually pretty patient when it
>comes to Linux's shortcommings but my god I had to get it off that box.

We'll just take your word for that right?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:42 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:59:35 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >You can, what is your point?
>> >I know people that *gives* 1GB away.
>>
>> Who?
>
>People who throw out their old computers.
>I get a box with old HDs that I got from friends and other people I know.

So everyone who wants XP can just find someone who is throwing one
out?

>> And would that enable me to
>> install Windows XP and all the programs that come with it?
>
>No, you would need a CPU, MoBo, memory, display adapter, monitor, etc.
>
>Hell, I got a computer that XP can run on for 250$, and that included a
>printer & a (14") monitor.

I was talking about disk space, you fucking idiot.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:43 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 18:54:02 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >It's pretty standard. Anyone who is a militant rabid defender
>> >of something is generally called a <term>inista.
>>
>> Erm, I haven't and I don't know anyone who's ever used such a term.
>> And wouldn't that mean Windows advocates would be known as
>> "shitOSinistas"?
>
>No, because people who use Windows are generally grounded and have
>nothing to prove or attack.

No, I said Windows ADVOCATES. Learn to read you fucked up cunt.

> Whereas Penguinistas seem to be attacking
>something or feel like they have something to prove.

They do.

> Windows advocates
>are just interested in realism and getting the job done, not being
>"l33t" or out to prove exactly how much they hate "M$" so their
>friends will like them more.

Why would Windows advocates want to prove how much they hate
Microsoft? And how can you possibly make such statements about Windows
advocates which are obviously false. And why are you so fucking
stupid?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:44 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:10:56 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> What are you on about? I have cookies either completely turned on or
>> off. And if I wanted streaming media I'd switch on the telly.
>
>I want to be able to enable/disable cookies per server.

You don't even know how to do that? You must be really fucked up in
the head.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:45 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:06:05 +0800, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Fred K Ollinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9fr73v$8k7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> : No, I can download updates for free.
>> : I don't have to buy something to get IE5 on Win95.
>>
>> Where do I get the source.  I'd like to compile the linux version.
>
>It doesn't come with source, like 95% of the applications out there.  Source
>is intellectual property, something that Linux users don't grasp.
>
>Just because source isn't available, doesn't mean that the application sux
>or whatever.
>
>99% of the consumers out there do not *want* to compile, they just want to
>*use* the software... another thing the Linux community will probably never
>get.
>
>Oh well... if you don't adapt, you will not succeed.  So stop whining.

That would explain why Linux is succeeding. What a wanker.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:46 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:13:08 +0800, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>So he'll probably spend about a week *trying* to get Linux to *install* on
>his system only to find out he can't run shit.

Or, in the non-fucked up version of the world, he'll install Linux
without any effort, realise how great it is, and never look to windows
ever again.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Browser is a Browser
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:47 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:48:53 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"David Dorward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9ftspo$kal$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > How can we stop this crap in its tracks?
>>
>> <?PSUDOCODE
>>
>> If Internet Explorer 6
>>
>> {
>>
>> redirect to page explaining why it is banned from
>> the website.
>
>Oh, *sure*, deny your site from 86% of the population.
>Yeah, right!

I doubt 86% of the population would be using that feature. And if
enough sites did it, people would just disable the feature.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:49 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:39:00 +0800, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
>> parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
>> keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise your
>> father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to, really.
>
>Well, I'm proud to be American.

What is their to be proud of.

>Strongest nation on earth.  Others will surely balk at me, but who cares.
>
>We have the strongest economy, the strongest military,

Meaningless.

>the best movies

I think not.

>(hehe), we invented the light bulb, transistor, microprocessor, we started
>the Internet, and a whole bunch more.

Meaning what? Nothing.

>You can say what you want, but America rockz.  That isn't to say that other
>nations don't rock also, but for different reasons.

Yeah, other countries have personal freedom.

>There is good in every nation... hey... my best friend is Australian, and my
>favorite beer is from Singapore.
>
>So just relax on this patriotic shit because there is good stuff everywhere
>and bad stuff everywhere.
>
>W2k rockz and linux suxors.  Need I say more?  :)

Yeah, American Windows and foreign Linux. Now what does that tell you?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:50 +0100

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 19:56:01 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Mathias Grimmberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> my
>> >
>> > Why not? When is ip6 'coming out'?
>>
>> When MS makes it the default configuration in its OSes.
>
>The majority of routers are not owned by MS and do not run MS OSes. And
>*these* devices need to do IPv6 for it to take off - clients are
>irrelevant until then.

Yeah, and what's going to make them use IPv6?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:51 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 22:24:03 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:28:25 +1000, "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>> > But it's nowhere near as good as PSP
>>
>> Well it depends on what you want it to do isn't it?
>> I know you can't do screen capture with PSP but with GIMP it's a piece of
>> cake.
>
>Of course you can do a screen capture with PSP. There's even a "capture"
>menu up front on the menu bar - sheesh...
>
>But anyone who thinks PSP is even close to Gimp needs their head examined.

Yeah, GIMP has a very long way to catch up. It only works if you've
got GNOME installed anyway.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 00:15:52 +0100

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:19:07 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

>> > Yes, lead poisoning is a bad thing.
>> >
>> > However teaching kids about homosexuality is nothing
>> > like that.
>> >

>> You're right.  It's much worse.
>>
>For 10 minutes could you stop being retarded, and explain in RATIONAL
>TERMS wht is wrong with homosexuality?  (Any statistics you use must be
>fully referenced and independently verifiable)

It's more likely that Microsoft will release an operating system that
isn't shit.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Desktop Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:08:03 +0200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fu97h$1a8t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ftgtv$5uleb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I think the best attribute of Windows is its implementation of OLE.
For
> > > example, it's nice to be able to edit a diagram, and stick it neatly
> > > into a Word document, and instantly see where your diagrams are.  With
> >
> > You can do this on linux as well - Staroffice, Openoffice and Koffice
can
> > all embed files from one type of office application inside documents
from
> > another type (e.g. embedding editable spreadsheets inside wordprocessor
> > files) so there is no real reason that linux cannot be used by those who
> > need this feature ( the only current problems are lack of printing in
> > openoffice and no MS office export filter in Koffice but if you need to
do
> > these things then staroffice will do them well ).
>
> I'm interested, I haven't checked this out, but does anyone know what's
> happening with StarOffice since they opened the source?  Have they
released
> any new versions?

Not yet.
There is openoffice, but they aren't ready to release a new version yet.
SO was all one big application, they are writing it for components now, I
understand.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:12:29 +0200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fu93q$1a7k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> It's documented in the knowledge base how to turn it on.  It's not some
> "secrets" researcher.

That depends, considerring how big the KB is, information can certainly get
lost in there.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:17:15 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> [snip- XP SmartTags]
> > Who put the wavy line in the page?
> > If you put wavy lines in my page you violate my copyright and may be
> > guilty of vandalism.
>
> Dubious. If I buy a book and mark it up with
> a yellow highlighter, is that vandalism? Have
> I violated the copyright of the book's author?
>
> In any case, if you believe you need control
> of the exact appearance of the page, you
> should not be using HTML at all- it does
> not give you that control. Your page's
> appearance will depend heavily on the
> browser that renders it.

It figures you would cchampoion micro$ofts changing the appearnce of
other people's pages. Micro$of has no right to change the prsentation of
someone else's page. NONE.

> For instnace, if I use a text-only browser,
> all those pretty blue underlines will vanish.

How does that excuse micro$oft's willfully changing the visual
presentation of someone els'se page?

> Vandalism! :D

Look.. the grinning moron is back.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:14:47 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:48:53 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"David Dorward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:9ftspo$kal$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> <?PSUDOCODE
> >>
> >> If Internet Explorer 6
> >>
> >> {
> >>
> >> redirect to page explaining why it is banned from
> >> the website.
> >
> >Oh, *sure*, deny your site from 86% of the population.
> >Yeah, right!
>
> I doubt 86% of the population would be using that feature. And if
> enough sites did it, people would just disable the feature.

It's disabled by default.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 02:17:35 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Daniel Johnson wrote:
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Well, I'm having to do a lot of work arounds with VC++6.0.
> > > For some reason or other they've got the private sections of classes
> > > screwed up.
> >
> > How so? I haven't noticed a problem here, and I have
> > used this product.
> >

> I'm not sure why its screwed up... it just screws up on some classes
> with private members. I have to put the private members into public and
> then it will compile fine.
> That's why I say, and for all intents and purposes, their class and
> inheritance mechanism is somewhat broken.  I lose encapsulation this way
> by making the members public. No data hiding.  It is real wierd that
> some code works and some won't.

Can you post some code & the errors?
What VC are you running? Did you try asking about it on the VC newsgroups?

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:23:25 +1200

Hi Ian Pulsford,

> This crap the M$ is intending to introduce into browsing software is a
> greater threat to editorial comment than anything I can think of, short
> of facism.  Browsing software was invented to display work that authors
> put on the web in html.  Now I cannot trust that the work that I put on
> the web is that which I intended to publish.  If I intend to publish a
> piece, and a microsoft product dynamically overwrites it with links, is
> it what I published (made public)?  No it isn't!
>
> How can we stop this crap in its tracks?

I've just realised that we have an historical example for this: Remember
when Deja added it's own advertising links into the newsgroup archives? When
I looked over my old messages what I wrote contained advertising links to
products I wasn't promoting nor were actually relevant.

This misuse of everyone's content was not popular.

Regards,
Adam