From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:44 GMT

Said Ed Allen in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:01:02
> [...]
>[eallen@allenhome rename]$ for n in *
>> do
>> mv $n ${n%gif}bak
>> done
>[eallen@allenhome rename]$ ll
>total 0
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 a.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 b.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 c.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 d.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 e.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 f.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 g.bak
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 h.bak
>[eallen@allenhome rename]$ cd ~
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ rename bak jpg /tmp/rename/*.bak
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ ll /tmp/rename
>total 0
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 a.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 b.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 c.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 d.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 e.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 f.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 g.jpg
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 h.jpg
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ rename jpg jpg.old /tmp/rename/*
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ ll /tmp/rename
>total 0
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 a.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 b.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 c.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 d.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 e.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 f.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 g.jpg.old
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 h.jpg.old
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ rename jpg.old max.cmd /tmp/rename/*
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$ ll /tmp/rename
>total 0
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 a.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 b.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 c.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 d.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 e.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 f.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 g.max.cmd
>-rw-rw-r--    1 eallen   eallen          0 Jun 10 05:32 h.max.cmd
>[eallen@allenhome eallen]$
>
>    That first section shows what can be done with 'bash' alone and
>    the last one shows that it can handle multiple dots across directory

Well, thanks.  But I'm confused.  What is "ls *.zip | sed
-e's/\(.*\).zip/mv & \1.blah' | sh" for, if 'rename' works the way it
does (nominally) on Windows?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:45 GMT

Said John Jensen in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:05:41
>In comp.sys.mac.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Said John Jensen in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 9 Jun 2001 18:16:03 GMT;
>
>[clip]
>
>I'll demonstrate my lack of agenda by ignoring all that claptrap.  I'll
>just make one point of fact:

Cool.  Thanks.

>>>I think monopolies can commonly arise from
>>>market choice (dirty deeds certainly help).  The only other way is for
>>>monopoly to be granted by law.  That didn't happen in Microsoft's case.
>
>> There are no monopolies granted by law, except metaphorically.
>
>[clip again]
>
>I was thinking of the phone company in the old days, the cable television
>companies more recently, etc.  The deregulation movement reduced the number
>of such monopolies in the United States (we never had many) but they were
>an element in our history (Hudson Bay Company, etc.).

Well, see, the phone company (AT&T) might have acted as if they had a
government mandate to exclude competition, but when they tried to use
that as an argument when they were told to break up, the court found
that it was a fallacy.

The broader issue you raise is a problem, actually, because there are
industries with inherent barriers to entry that are so great that any
competitor risks monopolization simply by existing.  This was why AT&T
achieved the effective monopoly that they did (and I will agree that
they did, though I will point out that the consent decrees they labored
under essentially forced them to act as a public utility, and explicitly
limited their profit-making abilities, notably preventing them from
engaging in any other business) and why local phone companies and cable
companies continue to be an anti-trust problem.

Actually, the 'deregulation' movement *created* monopolies.  Before
that, they were regulated, and thus not able to either compete or
monopolize in a free market.  Regulating markets is the typical response
when the infrastructure capitalization is so large that no competition
can effectively occur to begin with.  If we return to a more rational
approach, regulating any company that even partially controls a
distribution system traversing public lands, then we will be able to
prevent the monopolization that is causing all the problems.  This goes
for electricity, cable services, and telephone systems, just as it
applies to mail and trucking and other industries that do not have fixed
cabling.

Free market capitalism is a wonderful thing, but it is possible to fuck
up even a wonderful thing by not understanding what it is that makes it
wonderful.  When physical realities prevent open competition, then free
markets are not possible, and capitalization and profit-seeking must be
regulated.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:46 GMT

Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>
>> Flumm-flummery is what that is.  You seem to be saying that the GUI is
>> just explorer.  If the *GUI* 'crashes', that means the GDI crashed.  If
>> Explorer crashes, it means an app has crashed.
>>

>Wrong. GDi is seldom the /part/ of the GUI that crashes. Just stop to
>lecture people about things you´re completely ignorant about

Says who?  Microsoft?  I don't recall claiming that there were any
"parts" which crashed, in particular.  If the GUI crashes, the GUI
crashes, and since the GDI is 'part of' the GUI, it crashes, too.  As
for why the GUI crashed, and whether it was the GDI or some other
'part', well, I don't waste time troubleshooting monopoly crapware,
anymore.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:47 GMT

Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001
>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>
>> Well, forgive me my technical naivete, but that sounds like hogwash.
>> isn't screen drawing kind of what puts the 'G' in GUI?  There is the
>> *shell*, that's Explorer (often confused with 'the' GUI, when at best it
>> is 'a' GUI) and then there is the GUI, that's what MS calls 'the GDI'.
>
>Yep, you´re technical naive, otherwise you would not mix up this
>stuff so badly. The GDI is /part/ of the GUI, not the GUI itself.

If I were technically naive, I would waste time trying to keep this
stuff straight.  But I learned years ago how to tell what I need to
bother with and what is mixed up stuff that should be ignored.  The
distinctions between different "parts" of something that is not modular
from my perspective is certainly on of the latter.

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: 11 Jun 2001 10:09:45 +1200

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:18:56 -0400, Nigel Feltham
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>But in this user's case it is identifying the correct type of graphics
card
>>- It is probably not possible to detect every make & model of graphics
card
>>ever made for the PC and include individual drivers for all of them ( even

>>windows install CD's share one driver between many cards with same chipset

>Same thing here.
>
>It identifies it as a Trident, but has the wrong model.

Then why don't you reconfigure it to the correct model and correct the monitor
refresh rate.  SuSE Linux 7.1 does that with out any problems.

Matthew Gardiner

http://www.zfree.co.nz

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:19:08 GMT

In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags works.
>
>http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
>
>Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you know
>that there will be a response if you hover above it.
>Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
>In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and click
>on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
>
>The links that it leads to resolve to (on the order they appear):
>
>http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=CTXS
>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=CTXS
>http://www.citrix.com/
>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=CTXS
>http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?ipage=qd&Symbol=CTXS
>
>http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&Dom=il&un=doc&v=1&q=CITRIX

Wonderful.  We get 5 MS-controlled info and opinion pages about the
company, surrounding a link to the company itself in the middle.

It will be interesting to see what links MS ends up putting on a
page about Linux.  Perhaps links to Mundie's speech about GPL being
viral or to Balmer's speech calling Linux "a cancer"?

--Norm

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 16:24:31 -0600

On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:11:34 -0400, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Thats NOT the point. If I dont want links on my page, then there should
>be no links. It is published in a certain way. micro$oft has no right to
>change the way the page is viewed.

Before a page appears on my browser tracking ads are removed, java and
ActiveX are commented out, javascript is usually disabled, sound is
disabled, blinking gifs are made static, cookies are either blocked or
returned with an obscene message, text is rendered in MY choice of
fonts and colors, images are frequently disabled, and I've got things
set up to return erroneous info about my OS, monitor, and browser
which in turn affects the web-page layout.

Smart Tags is anticlimatic after all that.

Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:37:55 GMT

In article <%4uU6.12535$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You mean like Nasdaq? They're running Microsoft and I haven't heard a peep
>from them about any crashes.
>
>Well, I guess there goes your theory. Perhaps NYSE should look at NASDAQ
>and see what they're doing.

Contrary to MS marketing hype, the role of Win2K is non-critical front-end
stuff like the web site.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nasdaq+win2k+rockville&btnG=Search&meta=site%3Dgroups

--Norm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: 10 Jun 2001 22:51:54 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:27:51 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2001 08:03:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>Posted by a Windows user... hi Flatty!
>
> All these years of attempting to advocate and you still don't know how
> to read a header.

There's moretolife than headers Flatty, your style of FUD for instance.

> Wow I thought that was the first thing they teach you to do in Linux
> advocacy class?

Nope, unlike MS shill classes, we Linux advocates are self funded
and self taught.

> As usual, you are incorrect yet again.

So says :-
"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish"

"On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:39:14 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:28:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
 Ebert) wrote:"
Charlie: You've been telling people for months now that Linux is
Charlie: a peice of shit and won't even install on your machine.

Flatty: You have me mixed up with someone else.
Flatty: I haven't had a problem installing Linux
Flatty: on a machine since RedHat 5.0.

Flatty: Installing Linux in most cases is a breeze.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:52:30 GMT

In article
<4KLU6.71631$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel
Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Micro$of has no right to change the prsentation of
> > someone else's page. NONE.
>
> Does this mean IE is only allowed to
> display the source of the page, and not
> a rendered ('changed') version of it?

An excellent example of a straw-man argument! Congratulations!

--
Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:26:39 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:
> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:08:35
>>Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about other
>>companies.
>>I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could add
>>small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".
>
> Actually, Ayende, if you don't mind the advice, it would just make you
> look foolish.

No, TMax, the one person looking foolish is you.
Ayende is advocating Windows, and he has reasons to do it.
You may find those reasons invalid, but he does it in a quite pleasant
way, very different from Chad Myers and Jon Johanson.
He actually knows what he is talking about.
You, on the other hand, tell us all how vastly superior linux is compared
to the stuff MS sells. Yet you do not use linux, you use windows.
Seems to be a little contradiction, doesn´t it?

Peter

--
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:51:12 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>What are you ranting about?
>>A DVD is quite good as a replacement for a CD, as it is able to read
>>the CD´s also. Have you ever by accident seen a SuSE 7? It consists
>>of 7 CD´s and 1 DVD, which holds the contents of the 7 CD´s.
>>Its just conveniant to pop in only the DVD and be done with it instead of
>>shuffling the CD´s when you install.
>>But who would expect TMax (who uses Windows) to know about that.
>>For him it´s certainly sufficient to ramble about it out of ignorance.
>
> Got any numbers?  I'm glad to see you think that DVDs are common, but it
> seems odd that this isn't the case.  Maybe you aren't the ruler of all
> reality after all?

Well, I can only speak for germany, but here it is quite rare to find a
preconfigured computer without a DVD-drive (Not that I ever would buy
such a thingy) . I should guess the same holds true for the US.
But maybe in some backwater over there they just discovered that
3!/2"" Floppies are even better than 5!/4" ones? And music is (surprise)
now also available on strange looking small disks, which won´t play at all
on a real good turntable?

Peter

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:36:56 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001
>>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>>
>>> Flumm-flummery is what that is.  You seem to be saying that the GUI is
>>> just explorer.  If the *GUI* 'crashes', that means the GDI crashed.  If
>>> Explorer crashes, it means an app has crashed.

Note that you wrote "if the GUI "crashes", that means the GDI crashed".

You did not write "it could be the GDI that crashed".

>>Wrong. GDi is seldom the /part/ of the GUI that crashes. Just stop to
>>lecture people about things you´re completely ignorant about
>
> Says who?  Microsoft?  I don't recall claiming that there were any
> "parts" which crashed, in particular.  If the GUI crashes, the GUI
> crashes, and since the GDI is 'part of' the GUI, it crashes, too.  As
> for why the GUI crashed, and whether it was the GDI or some other
> 'part', well, I don't waste time troubleshooting monopoly crapware,
> anymore.

In other threads you painstakenly wage words and their meaning.
If you utter one of your broad, sweeping statements, then it somehow
does not matter anymore, you just don´t "waste time".

Very well done, TMax, and very convincing.
In my eyes, you are a fool or a moron, whichever comes up first.

Peter

--
If Windows is the answer then it probably has been a stupid question

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:54:35 +0200

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001
>>T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>
>>> Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 9 Jun 2001

>>> Who should I talk to?  Everyone there?  What percentage of them are on
>>> this "one big mainframe ISP" at the moment?  What is their market share?
>>
>>So reading is not one of your preferred skills.
>>You yourself babbled about the "rather socialist" scandinavian countries.
>>
>>I responded to that, and what comes out of TMax? More BS.
>
> Do you have a point?  You haven't answered any of my questions.

I won´t answer any of those questions. I won´t fall for your kind of
questioning until no one knows what was asked in the first place.
You loose.

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:55:31 GMT

In article
<kMLU6.71633$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel
Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Josh McKee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 9 Jun 2001 22:35:55 -0400, "Lance Togar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> [snip]
> > I believe the arguement revolves around the fact that the web author
> > is no longer in complete control over how their web content is viewed.
> > One cannot merely avoid this issue by "not buying it" because it is
> > the site visitors and not the site owner who will need to "not buy
> > it".
>
> OTOH, the web author never was in complete
> control of this. No two web browsers are the
> same about how they render things, you know.
>
> HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
> want that kind of control.

Yes, it is.

In HTML you have control over the hyperlink structure of your document.
Until now, any browser that you rendrered the page in would faithfully
reproduce that hyperlink structure. The MS browser adds new links, which
the author did not supply, to the rendered web page. The hyperlink
structure created by the author has been changed by those additions.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:57:38 GMT

In article <9g0coh$a0e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:47:44 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >
> > >"Josh McKee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Yeah, but I doubt this difference in rendering ever results in putting
> > extra links in.
> >
> > >HTML is just not the right tool to use if you
> > >want that kind of control.
> >
> > What would you use then? A giant .gif?
>
> Yes, or, more likely, PDF, which is designed to do *just* that.

PDF is designed to render designs for crisply printed A-format pages on
3x4 horizontal format monitors using fuzzy fonts and jumpy scrollbars.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:59:30 GMT

In article
<ZULU6.71646$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Daniel
Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
> > Yes, it does. It adds new hyperlinks to the user's representation of the
> > web page. Who controls what hyperlinks are added? Microsoft and whoever
> > pays them enough money.
>
> Actualy, this part isn't so. As is typical for MS, SmartTags
> are a plug-in architecture. Anyone who wants to can write
> new ones.
>
> Paying MS is not required.
>
> Though MS can and no doubt will provide
> their own, included as standard.

My main question was "Who controls what hyperlinks are added?"

The answer is "Microsoft and whoever else has enough money to develop
and distribute their own plugins."

This answer is not "the web page author."