Linux-Advocacy Digest #122, Volume #35           Mon, 11 Jun 01 01:13:03 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Brock Hannibal)
  Re: Redhat video problems. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Redhat video problems. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("green")
  Re: Redhat video problems. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("JS \\ PL")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! ("green")
  Re: Time to bitc__ again (cutabove)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Mike Johnson")
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Brock Hannibal)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Test your Brain! (B'ichela)
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Chad Myers")

Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brock Hannibal)
Date: 10 Jun 2001 20:06:27 PDT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<9g16ij$onq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Brock Hannibal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> Lets say, in theory, your son has a pretty normal (well, as
>>> normal as you can be) hetrosexual up bringing, and learns to
>>> accept/tolerate people with different sexual preferences, and
>>> you and your son have an open father-son relationship in which
>>> your son can talk to about anything. However, hypothetically,
>>> at the age of, say, 17, he comes to you and says, "dad, I'm
>>> gay".  What would your response be?
>>>
>>> Matthew Gardiner
>>
>> In all truthfulness I can't say I would be happy about it. I'm
>> not sure how I would respond, exactly. I wouldn't disinherit him
>> or anything like that. I would try to make sure he really knew
>> what all the consequences of his choice would be. That's about
>> the best I can do in this hypothetical situation.
>>
>> None of that has anything to do with the schools teaching about
>> homosexuality. It's not their role, in my opinion.
>
>Personally, if I had a son,

So, you don't have a son, then.

> and he came to me and said he was gay,
>I would neither be disappointed or proud.  I would be happy that
>he was able to "come out" as so to speak, and that he was willing
>to talk about any issues he may have. I would give him the same
>advice as as I would give a hetrosexual son, be careful, use
>contraception, remember that if you need support, that I (as a
>father) will always be there.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda! You don't have a son. You don't know what it
feels like to love a son. You don't know how you would react.
That's the bottom line. Basically you're full of hot air, signifying
nothing.

--
Brock

"Put a $20 gold piece on my watch chain so the boys'll know I died
standin' pat"

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:07:30 +1200

> Typical Linonut advice.
>
> 1.Read.
> 2. Try another ________  (insert program of your choice here)
> 3. ___________ is under development so don't expect... (Insert Program
> here)
>
> 4.Buy a book and yep, read some more.
>
> All the guy wants to do is change the driver that Linux mis-installed.
> He's not interested in writing a research paper.
>
> Sheesshh...
>
> Wait till he discovers .Xdefaults, .xconfig and all of the other
> wonderful joys of video under Linux.

Flatfish, are you illiterate? Maybe instead of venting your fustration here,
in COLA, you goto an adult reading class. People can help you. There is
nothing to feel ashamed about.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:10:17 +1200

"flatfish+++" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 10 Jun 2001 23:59:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

> >Bone arrow heads "worked just fine" for Flatties ancestors, but those
> >silly Cro-Magnon man flint tips were just "too hard" to make.
>
> Nope.
>
> Bill Gates passed out Ronson Lighters and we no longer had to rely on
> scratching stones together.

 Nope, you're the type that pays a TV repair person $60 an hour + call out
fee, because you can't setup a video and television set, even though there
is a setup-by-setup instruction manual included.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:19:34 +1000

> I guess you did not do a linux install lately.
> You would be surprised how little you have to know about your
> hardware compared to windows.

nup last install was mandrake 7.2, haven't needed to reinstall windows or
mandrake
for quite a while probably due to do it soon again anyway.

the previous post was about compiling a kernel compared to a whole windows
install though :)

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:17:36 +1200

> >Then why don't you reconfigure it to the correct model and correct the
monitor
> >refresh rate.  SuSE Linux 7.1 does that with out any problems.
>
> Sax and Sax2 both die with some message about font path not being
> correct?
>
> I did a default install and made sure the SVGA driver was installed
> because earlier versions of SuSE left it out of default install.

Have you tried QNX RTP http://get.qnx.com/ ? Your hardware should be
supported, VESA Mode for the video, however, I am not too sure whether it
will support your audio card.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:20:58 -0400

> Said JS \ PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:03:11
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said JS \ PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 9 Jun 2001 16:22:09

Pro
> >for
> >>
> >> Actually it was so extremely embarrassing in comparison to their
> >> projections that MS didn't even release any figures during the first
> >> year.  Silly morons that they are, they actually expected it to fly off
> >> the shelves.  Later, they had to increase the price and decided to
> >> discontinue some WinDOS because nobody wanted to fork out the extra
> >> money for W2K like they hoped.  ALL of the W2K sales were essentially
NT
> >> replacements, and MS was really desperately hoping that this would
> >> finally be the version of NT that made the desktop user pay $300 for
> >> their OS.
> >>
> >> And the fact that, even with this disappointing performance, MS
revenues
> >> on 2K were in the billions, as you claim, they could afford to sell it
> >> for $2 at this point and they'd still turn a profit.  Which is enough
> >> turn "embarrassing performance both commercially and technically" into
> >> "monopoly crapware".
> >
> >$2.00? How do you propose they make a profit selling Windows 2000 for
$2.00?

> You already explained it.  MS only spent half a billion developing it,
> and now they've already made a billion dollars selling it.  How could
> they possibly lose money, as long as they sold it for more than the
> media?  Hell, they could make it available for free on the Internet like
> GNU, and it will STILL make money!

Making it available "for free" on the internet isn't giving it away. It's
more like paying people to take it. Bandwidth still costs money.
Microsoft posts an operating profit of 40%. So at $1100 for Win2k Server the
break even point is roughly $660.00. I don't care how many discs they sell
for $2.00 it's still not going to net them $660.00 each.

How many $2.00 discs must they sell a week to pay their 30,000 employees?
Well lets see.... at 800/wk as a LOW number off the top of my head they'll
need to only sell 12 million copies a week at $2.00 to stay in the black.

> Don't forget, they make a profit on support, too.

Probably, that's why they call what they're doing "A Business".

>They don't even need
> to make a profit on the distribution in order to make a profit selling
> W2K for $2.

How bout make a profit on both and everyone is happy?

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:28:31 +1000

I had a trident 8900c and xfree 4.0
defaulted and would not go higher than 640x400 in 16 colour (4 bit) mode
because there wasn't
a svga driver for it and no default vesa driver.

thank god (or the maintainers ;) that it was fixed in 4.1 and 4.2

but still it caused some grief.

I have to guess when setting up the card in xfree 3.x, in XF86Config .

and it can support and does a 1024 X 786 @ 256 colour (8 bit).

something to do with clock modes and scan rates.
resolved most trouble after guessing values that xconfig gave and tested
correctly but
didn't work on later runs. no the config file wasn't being over written.
just setup passes some thing
to X that I can't find.

conclusion setting up x is not easy.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: cutabove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 03:28:16 GMT

HEAR HEAR!
        I wish I could read most of your stuff. I think I'll screw around
with charsets until I find out what it is you've written in other
posts. This is the first on to actually display on the screen!

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, it was written:

--
Dont take life too seriously
It's not like you'll get out of it alive...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:34:26 +1200

> >Personally, if I had a son,
>
> So, you don't have a son, then.
>
> > and he came to me and said he was gay,
> >I would neither be disappointed or proud.  I would be happy that
> >he was able to "come out" as so to speak, and that he was willing
> >to talk about any issues he may have. I would give him the same
> >advice as as I would give a hetrosexual son, be careful, use
> >contraception, remember that if you need support, that I (as a
> >father) will always be there.
>
> Woulda, shoulda, coulda! You don't have a son. You don't know what it
> feels like to love a son. You don't know how you would react.
> That's the bottom line. Basically you're full of hot air, signifying
> nothing.

Are you trying to spurt the typical homophobic legacy, off spring, family
name bull shit.  How is your son being gay going to affect you? apart from
getting told his new boyfriends name, what will change? he will have the
same personality, the same characteristics, he will still look up to you as
a father.  Please, give me an insight into the mystical "father-son bond",
because aparently, you have problems expressing yourself.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Mike Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:46:41 -0700

1. C
2. C

Subject question: Any language you feel like.

- Mike Johnson

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brock Hannibal)
Date: 10 Jun 2001 21:14:02 PDT

<9g1eb2$uj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>> Personally, if I had a son,
>>
>> So, you don't have a son, then.
>>
>>> and he came to me and said he was gay,
>>> I would neither be disappointed or proud.  I would be happy
>>> that he was able to "come out" as so to speak, and that he was
>>> willing to talk about any issues he may have. I would give him
>>> the same advice as as I would give a hetrosexual son, be
>>> careful, use contraception, remember that if you need support,
>>> that I (as a father) will always be there.
>>
>> Woulda, shoulda, coulda! You don't have a son. You don't know
>> what it feels like to love a son. You don't know how you would
>> react. That's the bottom line. Basically you're full of hot air,
>> signifying nothing.
>
>Are you trying to spurt the typical homophobic legacy, off spring,
>family name bull shit.

No, I'm not homophobic. I'm practical. Being gay is a huge
disadvantage in life, whether it should be or not, it is. It makes
many of the other aspects of a person's life very difficult. That's
the reality of it, and that's why I hope my son grows up to be
heterosexual.

>How is your son being gay going to affect
>you? apart from getting told his new boyfriends name, what will
>change? he will have the same personality, the same
>characteristics, he will still look up to you as a father.

That's true but, you're still an idiot. It wouln't affect me, it
would affect him.

>Please, give me an insight into the mystical "father-son bond",
>because aparently, you have problems expressing yourself.

My thinking and powers of expression are quite clear. Apparently it
is you, a person with no experience at being a parent at all, that is
deluded, if you think somehow that being gay does not cause many
problems for a person. Whether right or wrong, that's just the way it
is.

Run along, now, before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.
You're embarassing thoughtful individuals everywhere, gay and
straight alike.

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 06:12:57 +0200

In article <w3UU6.11705$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <2J9U6.9763$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> <snip for brevity>
>> >
>> > I don't think this is true.  Consider the case of KDE and QT.  KDE
>> > was distributed seperately from QT, and the end user compiled them
>> > together. RMS still called KDE a violation of the GPL until TrollTech
>> > released QT under the GPL license as well.
>> >
>> Yes, that is true, but it doesn't invalidate my argument. KDE is fairly
>> worthless without Qt. That is why it was in violation of the GPL,
>> because it *depended* on a library that was released with an
>> incompatible license. That was also why some people started work on a
>> GPL'ed implementation of the Qt API. As I said, my example is a grey
>> area, but IMO on the right side of it. Of course, YM and that of a
>> possible judge MV.
>
> But a "plug-in" is useless with the application its intended for as
> well. Only if the app could be used as a stand-alone app could it
> possibly fall outside the GPL.

Well as I said, this is the grey area. That's not a problem, except to
those anal-retentive types who seem to think that the law must be all
black and white. That's what judges are for, to settle these things, but
as long as everybody keeps backing down when the FSF threatens legal
action, their interpretation stands (and it is not entirely clear either
IMHO).
Remember also what I said in an earlier post, I am educated in an
inquisitorial legal system, so my view of lawsuits is decidedly more
positive than that of people living in the US (basically civil suits can
be seen as an attempt at mediation, not a battle to be won at all costs).

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: Test your Brain!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:07:15 GMT

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:13:31 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Actually, he is correct, but the cause and effect is ambiguous to the casual
>listener. Think about it from a return on investment sense.
>
>Evaluate the problem.
>It costs $X to fix.
>It costs $Y to do nothing.
>
>(A) If $X > $Y, it need not be fixed.
>(B) if abs($X - $Y) < $discretion, flip a coin.
>(C) If $Y > $X, fix it.
>
>In case (A), it would be hard to justify spending money that has a negative
>return on investment, and no board of directors would OK the spending. This
>situation could easily be expressed as "if you can't spend the money to solve
>the problem, then the problem wasn't worth solving."
        Lets take a typical real world problem. In my apartment I need
to fix the peeling floor tiles. The majority of the tiles are physically fine
but the adhesive just dried out. Those tiles that are shot are no
longer being made. Thus the whole dang floor will need to be retiled!
Looking at the cost (using solid vinyl tiles for a area of 1200 sq ft
would cost say $800. Now there is no structural problem with missing
tiles its just plain UGLY! Therefore do I beautify a apartment I do
not own or just patch  what I have now and fudge the missing tiles?
the Adhesive would cost say around $5 for a small tin of floor
adhesive (its called Mastic for those in the know) and do a swap by
swipping tiles thare are in good shape that are under cabinets that
are covered by the cabinets kickplates?
        However the equation changes drastically if the subfloor shows
serious damage caused by water from washing dishes/laundry or
spillage. then the choice is clear Fix the dratted floor at Any cost!

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:20:15 +1200

> It would have been a hell of a lot funnier if they had said the virus was
> win.com, user.dat or system.dat.
>
> These kinds of "warnings" are mainly taking advantage of user stupidity
and
> as such they will continue to be extremely effective. For a long time both
> microsoft and apple have tried to spread the idea that comptuers are these
> near idiot proof devices that take no learning to use. This is not coming
> back to bite their users and it will bite them eventually also.

No, here is a even better one:

"Microsoft customer support recommends customers who wish to maintain long
name file support, and to make sure all your fonts are kept clean and tidy,
click on the start button, click on shut down, select the MSDOS option.
Once you have reached a black screen with "Windows" at the top, type, Format
C: then press enter.  You will be asked whether you want to continue, type y
then press enter. Depending on how much software you have, it may take a
while for your fonts to be cleaned.  Once complete, reboot, and your fonts
will be clean and tidy."

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 04:08:55 GMT

"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:GMVU6.781$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Norman D. Megill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://www.citrix.com/
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?ipage=qd&Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&Dom=il&un=doc&v=1&q=CITRIX
> >>
> It is also worth noting that the MSN pages typically have several ads,
> so they have come up with a sneeky way increase their ad revenue.  In
> effect MS is putting multiple advertisements for its own web sites on
> other people's pages, with no compensation to the page owners.
>
> And can you really trust information you get from MS to be unbiased?  It
> is well known that MS even rewrites history in what is supposed to be an
> unbiased reference source (Encarta) to suit its agenda, e.g.
> http://www.salon.com/21st/feature/1998/12/18feature.html
> http://www.simplyfamily.com/entertainment/books/reviews/history-06-30-99.cfm
> Add to that the recent FUD ramblings of MS leaders about open source, as
> well as all kinds of one-sided viewpoints in their marketing literature.

So it doesn't include everything, and suddenly it's "rewriting history"?
I only read the Salon article (because I don't have the time to read
every little moronic anti-MS rambling) and all it said, basically, was
that MS' coverage of itself was long and of others, short. So what?
If you want information about IBM, look up IBM. Do you really expect
MS to spend countless hours chronicling every computer company since
1970?

Speaking of FUD...

-c

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:22:40 +1200

Nope, there should be a mandatory test, for every incorrect answer, $1000 is
added onto the price of the computer, for evey correct answear, the price
will stay constant. Those who fail the test twice, or are caught cheating,
automatically loose their right to use a computer for the rest of their
lives :)

Matthew Gardiner

"flatfish+++" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:06:55 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml
> >
> >It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to.
> >The post-master sent an email about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge
people
> >to delete it, and post some of the replies in the above URL.
> >
> >Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:
> >
> >"I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
> >window's operating system? "
> >
> >"No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer.
Wherever

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:26:53 +1200

> >> How about televised golf?
>
> >quite true.
>
> What about chess? On the radio?

Syncronised swimming?

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:29:00 +1200

> Oh man do I remember that game show!
>
> Bob Murphy the NY Mets sportscaster was the host and it was the
> cheapest show on TV.
>
> You'd get a $1.00 a pin and then you would have to split it with your
> "pinpal" which was a name drawn from a large basket.
>
> I was in school at the time and we used to make fun of that show all
> the time.

That sounds almost as bad as televised arm wrestling.

Matthew Gardiner