From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: 11 Jun 2001 07:51:01 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:31:36 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:46:56 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Hi flatty,
>>
>>Tried that link yet I posted for you this week?
>>
>>Mart
>
> Yes but it didn't work.

On behalf of Mart, 'thanks for not bothering to give any feedback'.

> The other distros will either get the wrong
> Trident model, or if they get it correct no matter what I select as
> refresh rates etc it won't work.

Trident definetly suck, just like your $90 elcheapo Cannon printer.

NOTE: to all COLA posters who havent yet learnt that Flatfish is a
Wintroll, whos expressed aim is "to become Linux's worst enemy"

1/ Don't get sucked in to helping him, its just another rouse.
2/ Flatty uses only problematic hardware for Linux, to futher his cause.

Remember, this man is the holder of all these *FAKE* identities, just ask
yourself why ?

"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish"

"On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:39:14 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:28:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
 Ebert) wrote:"
Charlie: You've been telling people for months now that Linux is
Charlie: a peice of shit and won't even install on your machine.

Flatty: You have me mixed up with someone else.
Flatty: I haven't had a problem installing Linux
Flatty: on a machine since RedHat 5.0.

Flatty: Installing Linux in most cases is a breeze.

> I'm using the exact same selections I use under RH 6.1 or an older
> SuSE which works fine.

Suse 6.1!!
Yet he uses Win2k, touts how good it is, yet its at least 2 years
newer than RH6.1.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:32:31 +0200

Stuart Fox wrote:

> Linux advocates told me that Linux with X would run fine on a 486, with
> 16MB
> memory so I tried it.  It didn't.  It ran fine with no X loaded.
>
> It was an old PC from work.  Sad.

Yep, it is old. That Graphics card said all about it, *real* old.
Well, to the 486 - stuff, yes, linux runs pretty good on those.
But I would certainly not recommend using it for X. It should work,
although in your case it did not, but it wouldn´t be any fun.
Note that it still is a good machine to hook your fax-modem unto,
do your DSL-setup (or cable, or ISDN), stuff like that. Hook several
CD-drives to it and make a CD-server out of it for your most-used
CD´s, you get the drift. Just convert it to an small server for the
everyday-tidbits. Linux is great for this kind of stuff.

By the way, you do *not* need any X-setup on that machine to run
X-programs. Just run them remotely and display them on a another
X-Window. Even lame machines like that can do that with a decent
speed.

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:47:24 +0200

GreyCloud wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>>
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> > If you use a DVD to install an O/S it will be slower than a current
>> > CD-ROM.
>>
>> Not if you factor noticing that the OS wants another disc, finding the
>> disc, and replacing it.
>> I would estimate this as 5 minutes per each disc, for myself. Maybe more.
>
> Depends on the O/S.
> But from what I've read the DVD will take twice as long to install as 3
> CD-ROMS.
> I started one Linux install on an older machine and the CD-ROM drive was
> only 2x.
> That took about 2 1/2 hours to do.  The same linux install on a 48x
> CD-ROM took about 20 minutes.

Current DVD-drives are already quite fast, there is no big speed difference
anymore to CD-drives. And as Ayende said, switching CD´s also takes time.
I certainly need less than 5 minutes, but there is a delay.
Also for example a SuSE-setup can run completely by itself after you
answered the initial questions, when you come back later it is all setup
for you.

Peter

--
If Windows is the answer then it probably has been a stupid question

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:11:31 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> There is one reason to choose C over C++.
> You can use C functions with *everything*, there isn't a language that
> doesn't have C binding.
> There are plenty that doesn't have C++ binding.

Yeah, but why not put those C-functions into a module and call them from
your C++? That way you can have both.

Peter

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Browser is a Browser
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:57:02 -0700

Mig wrote:

> I would presume that the reason for a right-shift is because of the
> situation with some kind of semiwar (at least thats how i see it with the
> info made available by the media - and im not sure the media paints the
> "correct" picture).

The media has made most of their reporting vague and more slanted
towards sensationalism.  On closer examination there are very little
facts that are ever supported with references.  Most of it is dumbed
down or "sanitized" for public consumption.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 11 Jun 2001 07:59:42 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 18:41:09 +1200,
Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Stuart Fox wrote:
>> >
>> > Try running XF86Setup on an AST PC with an ATI Mach32 chip on the
>> > motherboard.  X will not run afterwards, and will not run until you edit
>> > the config file.
>> >
>> On what junkyard did you find that stuff?
>
> Linux advocates told me that Linux with X would run fine on a 486, with 16MB
> memory so I tried it.  It didn't.  It ran fine with no X loaded.
>
> It was an old PC from work.  Sad.

Norti norti Stuart!
Please tell the rest of the story?

What was your window manager ? how fast was the 486 ?
Define "fine" ?

I didn't tell you that X ran fine on a 486 with 16 megs ram, but I can tell
you that my kids have a 486dx2/100 with 8 megs ram running Debian
(2.0.38 kernel) and X (Fvwm) that while slowish, is usable, and has been
running for 8 months without any problems.

I has games and C development on it, and heaps of room to spare, on its 500meg
HDD!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:02:00 -0700

"Norman D. Megill" wrote:

> In article <wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Norman D. Megill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >>http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/research/profile.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://www.citrix.com/
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/chartdl.asp?Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://moneycentral.msn.com/scripts/webquote.dll?ipage=qd&Symbol=CTXS
> >>http://search.msn.com/results.asp?RS=CHECKED&Dom=il&un=doc&v=1&q=CITRIX
> >>
> It is also worth noting that the MSN pages typically have several ads,
> so they have come up with a sneeky way increase their ad revenue.  In
> effect MS is putting multiple advertisements for its own web sites on
> other people's pages, with no compensation to the page owners.
>
> And can you really trust information you get from MS to be unbiased?  It
> is well known that MS even rewrites history in what is supposed to be an
> unbiased reference source (Encarta) to suit its agenda, e.g.
> http://www.salon.com/21st/feature/1998/12/18feature.html
> http://www.simplyfamily.com/entertainment/books/reviews/history-06-30-99.cfm
> Add to that the recent FUD ramblings of MS leaders about open source, as
> well as all kinds of one-sided viewpoints in their marketing literature.
>
> Users will be buying into a giant MS marketing, advertising, and
> propaganda machine without even knowing it.  From MS's point of view
> it's actually brilliant.  But for everyone else I don't see this as a
> good thing.
>
> --Norm

>From all of the smoke and mirrors tactics of MS... it's Gates 6th
Symphony followed by the Ballmerina.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:03:05 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:GMVU6.781$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Norman D. Megill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > It is also worth noting that the MSN pages typically have several ads,
> > so they have come up with a sneeky way increase their ad revenue.  In
> > effect MS is putting multiple advertisements for its own web sites on
> > other people's pages, with no compensation to the page owners.
> >
> > And can you really trust information you get from MS to be unbiased?  It
> > is well known that MS even rewrites history in what is supposed to be an
> > unbiased reference source (Encarta) to suit its agenda, e.g.
> > http://www.salon.com/21st/feature/1998/12/18feature.html
> > http://www.simplyfamily.com/entertainment/books/reviews/history-06-30-99.cfm
> > Add to that the recent FUD ramblings of MS leaders about open source, as
> > well as all kinds of one-sided viewpoints in their marketing literature.
>
> So it doesn't include everything, and suddenly it's "rewriting history"?
> I only read the Salon article (because I don't have the time to read
> every little moronic anti-MS rambling) and all it said, basically, was
> that MS' coverage of itself was long and of others, short. So what?
> If you want information about IBM, look up IBM. Do you really expect
> MS to spend countless hours chronicling every computer company since
> 1970?
>
> Speaking of FUD...
>
> -c
Considering the source... more FUD... that is MS tactics is to
completely muddy the waters and keep the average user in a state of
confusion.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:04:32 -0700

Steven wrote:

> Which OS should you focus on learning to get an entry level tech or
> programming job?  Linux or Windows?
>
> Thanks
>  Steve

Diversify!  Learn as many O/Ses as you have time and money to afford.
The more tools you have the better you can sell yourself.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:06:47 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> >>Remember, don't just learn Linux, first learn PURE UNIX, and Windows, then
> >>move onto Linux.  The bonus is, with learning pure UNIX, you can move your
> >>skills from one vendor to another (say from SCO UnixWare to IRIX) and
> >>experience no problems. Then, once you are confortable, then go into detail,
> >>if you want, of that partiular vendors version of UNIX.  Unix then leads
> >>onto Linux, if you choose to take that direction. However, I have heard
> that
> >>Linux is good "training wheels" for those wanting to enter the pure UNIX
> >>world.  I prefer the first approach.  Regarding Windows, yes, you will
> need
> >>to learn the internals of it, and yes, you will cringe, however, you are
> >>more likely to get a job being a Windows admin, however, the trade off
> is
> >>that you will earn less money than a UNIX system admin.  Latest newspaper,
> >>Unix Senior Admin, 120K + bonuses vs. Windows Senior Admin, 65K.
> >>
> >>Matthew Gardiner
> >>

> >Windows System administers are generally the societies
> >down-trodden types.  I feel sorry for their sad little
> >personalities.  They always dress up in brightly covered
> >clothing however and keep their heads high!
> >
> >What a sad little group of doomed people.
> >
> >--
> >Charlie
> >-------
>
> Charlie, you also forgot include the fact that because they can use "Visual
> Basic", that automatically makes them a programming genius. Also, you see
> them drool at the site of Bill Gates and/or other tech person on cnet streaming
> media.  I on the other hand, unlike Windows admins, don't see computers as
> the centre of my existance.  Maybe these Windows admins should go out, and
> find a life outside computers and realise how much of their lives they have
> wasted...no..actually, thats good they are not out in the real world. Atleast
> people can feel safe that their children aren't going to have Bill Gates's
> disciples preaching the word of "word".
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> http://www.zfree.co.nz

What can you tell from a visual basic programmer with drool coming out
of both corners?
The monitor is level.

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:11:14 -0600

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:01:24 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:11:34 -0400, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Thats NOT the point. If I dont want links on my page, then there should
>> >be no links. It is published in a certain way. micro$oft has no right to
>> >change the way the page is viewed.
>>
>> Before a page appears on my browser tracking ads are removed, java and
>> ActiveX are commented out, javascript is usually disabled, sound is
>> disabled, blinking gifs are made static, cookies are either blocked or
>> returned with an obscene message, text is rendered in MY choice of
>> fonts and colors, images are frequently disabled, and I've got things
>> set up to return erroneous info about my OS, monitor, and browser
>> which in turn affects the web-page layout.
>>
>> Smart Tags is anticlimatic after all that.
>
>What are you using?

Netscape, Proxomitron, Norton firewall (mainly for the adblockers),
Edexter, and a hosts file that disables a couple thousand known
tracking sites.

Sounds like a complicated mess but the individual pieces are easy to
configure, and the only messing I've have to do with it since setting
it up is occasionally adding another site to Norton or my hosts file.

I was totally against adblockers until those damned tracking ads
started showing up. It's hard to block those without also filtering
the non-tracking ads, so I don't see much advertising anymore. It
really helps speed up page loads on a 56K dialup. :)

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:15:50 -0700

somebody wrote:

> Has anyone else read the latest issue of Linux Magazine? There is an interview
> of Dennis Ritchie complete with several photos of him sitting behind his desk at
> bell labs.
>
> his monitor is clearly visible-- very obviously and very ironically running
> ms-windows!  LOL, i had to laugh!
>
> i didn't see any mention of that in the interview, but c'mon, the co-inventor of
> UNIX is now using Microsoft WINDOWS?!?!?
>
> check out the article for yourself. dunno if it's online anywhere.

Find us a link and prove it.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:18:44 -0700

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> somebody wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else read the latest issue of Linux Magazine? There is an interview
> > of Dennis Ritchie complete with several photos of him sitting behind his desk at
> > bell labs.
> >
> > his monitor is clearly visible-- very obviously and very ironically running
> > ms-windows!  LOL, i had to laugh!
> >
> > i didn't see any mention of that in the interview, but c'mon, the co-inventor of
> > UNIX is now using Microsoft WINDOWS?!?!?
> >
> > check out the article for yourself. dunno if it's online anywhere.
>
> I saw that article.  I noticed the Windows desktop, too.  Here's
> a quote from the article, which I'm holding in my hand:
>
> "There are plenty of Linux fans in Lucent, even though there's a fair
> amount of corporate pressure to use Windows."
>
> Maybe that's why Lucent is doing so badly ... the corporate pressure.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> Thanks for reading my message.  Please pay up.  My rates are:
> US $0.35 for humorous posting.  US $0.55 for trolling in Windows newsgroups.
> US $0.60 for advice to Linux users.  US $269 for advice to Windows users.

I wonder what they put in the pointy-haired bosses coffee?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 01:23:33 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> 1. Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to"Press
> Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the
>      "Any" key is.
>
> Maybe if that person read the sentence correctly, they would understand what
> any key meant.  Had it said, "press THE any key to continue", then yes it
> would be a valid question.
>
> 6. Another Dell customer called to say he couldn't get his computer to fax
> anything. After 40 minutes of trouble-shooting, the
>      technician discovered the man was trying to fax a piece of paper by
> holding it in front of the monitor screen and hitting the "send"
>      key.
>
> Yeap, idiots are born every day.  Maybe the computer industry should go back
> to the "you have to earn the right to use a computer", at least there
> weren't half witts using computers.
>
> 8. Yet another Dell customer called to complain that his keyboard no longer
> worked. He had cleaned it by filling up his tub with soap
>      and water and soaking the keyboard for a day, then removing all the
> keys and washing them individually.
>
> What part of "computer is an electronic device" don't they understand? and
> did they miss the Science class in 3rd (age 13-14) and 4th (age 14-15)
> learning how circuits and electricity works?
>
> 9. A Dell technician received a call from a customer who was enraged because
> his computer had told him he was "bad and an invalid".   The tech explained
> that the computer's "bad command" and "invalid" responses shouldn't be taken
> personally.
>
> Yet another person who should never of been allowed to purchase a computer.
>
> 11. Another customer called Compaq tech support to say her brand-new
> computer wouldn't work. She said she unpacked the unit, plugged it in, and
> sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen. When asked what
> happened when she pressed the power switch, she asked "What power switch?"
>
> Yet another person who should never have been allowed to purchase a
> computer, and needs to repeat College from form three onwards.

Did you hear about the customer that bought a Dell computer and was
installing Solaris 8 x86??  He typed into ng complaining about solaris
install had damaged his machine.  He said "All of a sudden there were
flames and smoke pouring out of the back of the computer!"  He did admit
that he had plugged into the auxiliary power plug a microwave oven and
was popping popcorn when the power supply burst into flames. :-)