Linux-Advocacy Digest #128, Volume #35           Mon, 11 Jun 01 08:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Redhat video problems. (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: More funny stuff. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: XP finally reveals it true colors!!! ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (mlw)
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (Norman D. Megill)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: So what software is the NYSE running ? ("Matthew Gardiner")

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:53 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 02:34:09 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On 10 Jun 2001 23:48:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
>wrote:
>

>>Flatty: Installing Linux in most cases is a breeze.
>
>So then why is he having trouble?

Because he's numb?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:54 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:22 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:22
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:11:21 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>I don't understand.  Why doesn't it make sense?  We were talking about
>>>patriotism.  Someone said patriotism is bad.  Then later they started
>>>talking about religion and patriotism.  Now, why would they do that,
>>>unless to say that patriotism alone is somehow not bad?
>>
>>Um, because they are comparable?
>
>Now you're just begging the question again.  It as if you *need* to

That's your favourite phrase isn't it?

>claim that patriotism is "comparable" with religion, because religion is
>bad, and you want patriotism to be bad, so you equate the two.  Do you
>see why this isn't a convincing argument for your point that patriotism
>itself is somehow not good?

No, they're both primitive, stupid and dangerous.

>>>I don't understand.  What is "nulling the term"?  Is that some
>>>transplanted technical phrase pretending to be a metaphor or something?
>>
>>Making the term meaningless.
>
>To you, or in some metaphysical dictionary that holds the 'true' meaning
>of terms?

No, I just came up with that term on the spot.

>Basically, you are trying to claim that all patriotism is fascism, or
>religion, or something else other than what it is, which is patriotism,
>so that you can claim it is bad.  Apparently, you do not like
>patriotism.  We get that.  What you still haven't even begun to explain
>(but have generally indicated you are unable to explain, by your
>equating patriotism to religion, and your desire to 'null the term'
>fascism) is why you think patriotism is a bad thing.

If you continue you bend my words then there's no point in even
discussing this matter.

>>>I'm afraid I would have to question your ability to discuss the matter
>>>reasonably, if you need to throw aspersions like "scabby" around.
>>
>>You know what I mean.
>
>I thought I did.  I think the term 'scabby' when used like that is
>derogatory.  You meant to insult asian and african countries, somehow
>declaring without examination that they are not 'civilized'.  Since you
>show a desire to denigrate whole countries, it seems odd that you would
>find patriotism, a desire to celebrate one's own country, to be a bad
>thing.
>
>Perhaps you know what I mean.

No, I meant scabby as in poor etc.

>>>Wow.  What a truly convincing argument you provide.
>>And you.
>
>Well, it was moderate and accurate; that is all I can do.  If only you
>had done as much.

Moderate? Possibly not. Accurate? Definitely not.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:55 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:23
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:11:22 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Yes, I did.  Did you know what I meant?  That seems more doubtful.
>>
>>Not if you continue to word things so badly.
>
>I'm sorry if you're insulted, but I have to point out that the problem
>is on your end.  You are confused and muddle-headed.  That is not my
>fault.  It is, however, my problem, and I will try to help.  Ask
>questions, and stop avoiding logical fallacies.
>
>Here, this might help: http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.htm

I'm not connecting again just to go to some site.

>>In Holland they get personal freedom. Unlike the US.
>
>Please explain.

In Holland, people are free to get on with their own lives without
others interfering.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:56 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:24
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:11:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Not a very compelling rebuttal.
>>
>>It's unhealthy paranoia no matter how many times you try to avoid the
>>point by trying to insult the methods of my replies.
>
>Because you say it is so it is so, so I am wasting my time trying to
>find out why you say it is so?  Wow.  What a compelling argument.  Not.

You avoid the point again. You're really losing it now.

>>>Well, I know many Republicans who believe in a woman's right to choose,
>>>too.  Nevertheless, this makes them failed republicans, according to
>>>modern political consensus.
>>
>>Yet more irrelevances. You must be really desperate now.
>
>If you cannot address the points, then you cannot address them.  It has
>nothing to do with relevance.  It is a matter of your being confused and
>muddle-headed.

Please explain how republicans believing in a woman's right to choose
is relevant.

>>>Do you have a point, or are you just riffing?
>>
>>My point is that you're talking right out of your arse.
>
>I'll presume that means you are just riffing.

No, it means you ARE actually talking out of your arse.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:57 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:26 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:25
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:11:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>I'm just correcting your word games.  Pretending otherwise won't help
>>>you now, it won't help you later, it won't help you ever.
>>
>>Deary me, if you don't try and get back in the argument soon, instead
>>of just spouting off irrelevancies, it might look like you've conceded
>>defeat.
>
>It has been five posts now since you've actually addressed the issues,
>rather than the discussion.  Are you a troll?

Oh the irony.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:58 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:27 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:27
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:11:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>Guffaw.  I noticed you responded to my sig, rather than responding to my
>>>case.  Perhaps you just don't want to be convinced?
>>
>>I responded to your case also. Maybe you're just too fucked up to be
>>able to follow threads properly.
>
>You mean you made a whole separate reply just to the sig, even though
>you'd already replied to my post?  That's fucked up.  Get a grip.

Oh, well if it offends you so much I'll try and make both replied in
the same post. You could've told me you were the resident netcop.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:34:59 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:22 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:21
>>On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 03:20:46 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>>>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 09 Jun 2001 15:58:32

>>>Then you're begging the question.
>>
>>Is that all you can come up with?
>
>That is all I need to, until you address the point reasonably.

The point being...

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:35:00 +0100

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:08:29 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:17:20

>>>Linux is a flavor of an American OS.
>>
>>Written from scratch by a Finn...
>
>Well, the kernel was by a Finn.  When most people say "Linux" today,
>they are actually referring to GNU/Linux (see
>http://www.fsf.org/events/rms-nyu-2001-transcript.txt for pronunciation
>guide).  GNU, the balance of the operating system we call Linux, is
>international in scope, but the project was started by Richard M.
>Stallman, an American.

Well, Linux is only the kernel no matter which way you look at it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:35:01 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:45:03 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>T. Max Devlin wrote in message ...

>>Well, the kernel was by a Finn.  When most people say "Linux" today,
>>they are actually referring to GNU/Linux (see
>>http://www.fsf.org/events/rms-nyu-2001-transcript.txt for pronunciation
>>guide).  GNU, the balance of the operating system we call Linux, is
>>international in scope, but the project was started by Richard M.
>>Stallman, an American.
>>

>Have you any idea what you are talking about?  Without doubt, RMS has
>contributed more to GNU/Linux, and GNU itself, than anyone else.  But also
>without doubt, GNU, Linux and open source software are totally international
>in their development and their use.  Almost all major components in the
>system are developed by groups spread out across the world.

Don't say that, you'll shatter his fantasy that the universe revolves
around America.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:28:45 +1200

> > 11. Another customer called Compaq tech support to say her brand-new
> > computer wouldn't work. She said she unpacked the unit, plugged it in,
and
> > sat there for 20 minutes waiting for something to happen. When asked
what
> > happened when she pressed the power switch, she asked "What power
switch?"

> > Yet another person who should never have been allowed to purchase a
> > computer, and needs to repeat College from form three onwards.
>
> Did you hear about the customer that bought a Dell computer and was
> installing Solaris 8 x86??  He typed into ng complaining about solaris
> install had damaged his machine.  He said "All of a sudden there were
> flames and smoke pouring out of the back of the computer!"  He did admit
> that he had plugged into the auxiliary power plug a microwave oven and
> was popping popcorn when the power supply burst into flames. :-)

LOL! some people can be real Doris's sometimes.  I sometimes wonder how on
earth these people actually get through life without killing themselves.
Mind you, the poem, "Danger Eliminates Stupid People" puts it in plain
English why these morons continue to breed like rabbits.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:31:30 GMT

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Peter
>
> --
> One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
> One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
> In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

You misspelled Microsoft <grin>

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XP finally reveals it true colors!!!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:32:56 +1200

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >Fixes were actually offered for the K6 chip.
>
> The "official" fix I saw was marked as for OSR2-- not the retail version.
> have seen an unoffical repackaging of the fix for other revisions, but by
then,
> it was too late for me.

OSR2 should have been the only one affected by the problem (due to the high
freqency of the chip).

> >Also, why not use a Mac?
> >compared to a mid range, brand name PeeCee, they are pretty much a tie,
>
> A lot of people, especially home users, are going to be attracted to that
$499
> eMachines box with the $400 rebate if you sign your kidneys over to
LargeISP,
> over the $799 or more Mac.

In New Zealand, you would be lucky to get a personal computer for under
$2000 +GST. Mind you, most people I have met would rather save up, and
purchase a good quality setup that will last them years, even newbies, vs.
getting an "el cheapo" brand computer with multiple problems.  Considering
that there are easy finance plans that can spread $25 payments over 3 years,
owning a good quality computer is not a hard task.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:42:44 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g27iq$b8c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> is
> > > >

> > > C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in
> existance.
> > > It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.
> > >
> > > Pointers is a hard cocept to grasp, manual memory management, no array
> > > boundy checking, no *real* arrays, no strings.
> > > All of those make C to a hard language.
> > >

> > coming from assembly it's a dream :)
> > ps I have never coded in assembly. my only attempt over wrote command.com
> > with some int
> > that some one was telling me causing a reboot every time command.com was
> > loaded including reboots :)
> >
> > those were the days
>
> Coming from assembly C looks like English.
> You *can* understand it!
>
> Coming from other languages... It doesn't have much to offer in terms of
> ease-of-use.

Here I must disagree. I use C and C++ all the time. Languages like Perl, Java,
PHP, etc. do not interest me. When ever I try to write something, the languages
do not have the ability to manipulate objects as I would in C or C++. Take
this:

int CountBits(unsigned long *bits, int count)
{
        int total;
        int limit = count>>2;
        unsigned long chunk;
        for(int i=0; i < limit; i++)
        {
                chunk = *bits++;
                for(int byte=0; byte < sizeof(unsigned long); byte++)
                {
                }
        }
}

The above routine can be very fast. Can one write anything even close in perl,
Java, etc? Not really, you can kind of port the function, but it will not be
nearly as fast.

--
42 was the answer, 49 was too soon.
========================

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:36:07 +1200

> > Charlie, you also forgot include the fact that because they can use
"Visual
> > Basic", that automatically makes them a programming genius. Also, you
see
> > them drool at the site of Bill Gates and/or other tech person on cnet
streaming
> > media.  I on the other hand, unlike Windows admins, don't see computers
as
> > the centre of my existance.  Maybe these Windows admins should go out,
and
> > find a life outside computers and realise how much of their lives they
have
> > wasted...no..actually, thats good they are not out in the real world.
Atleast
> > people can feel safe that their children aren't going to have Bill
Gates's
> > disciples preaching the word of "word".
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
> >
> > http://www.zfree.co.nz
>
> What can you tell from a visual basic programmer with drool coming out
> of both corners?
> The monitor is level.

First programming language learnt was BBC Basic, followed by AmigaBASIC the
Visual Basic in the PeeCee world. I now have COBOL under my belt, which is
quite good in my job, maintaining legacy systems.  I am learning on the
side, Java, which looks like a pretty interesting language.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:41:03 +1200

> > Linux is written in C, like all UNIX's, GNOME, I am not too sure,
however, I
> > do know KDE is written in C++, as they donot require the same low level
> > access as an OS kernel requires.
>
> Please could you highlight where C++ is deficient in "low level" access,
> or even where the semantics of "low level access" differ from c ?

Sorry, my assumption was a stab in the dark. Several people have clarified
me, which is great.  I assumed that C++ could not access hardware at its
lowest level due to several comments by developers, 1. being in regards to
BeOS's API's, 2. a comment I heard a while back questioning why Linux is
written totally in C++.  From past posts, I generally speaking keep way, way
out of programming. I'm too slow at typing and thinking logically on the fly
to be a productive programmer.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Norman D. Megill)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 11:47:20 GMT

In article <rvXU6.12910$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:GMVU6.781$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> Norman D. Megill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> It is also worth noting that the MSN pages typically have several ads,
>> so they have come up with a sneeky way increase their ad revenue.  In
>> effect MS is putting multiple advertisements for its own web sites on
>> other people's pages, with no compensation to the page owners.
>>
>> And can you really trust information you get from MS to be unbiased?  It
>> is well known that MS even rewrites history in what is supposed to be an
>> unbiased reference source (Encarta) to suit its agenda, e.g.
>> http://www.salon.com/21st/feature/1998/12/18feature.html
>> http://www.simplyfamily.com/entertainment/books/reviews/history-06-30-99.cfm
>> Add to that the recent FUD ramblings of MS leaders about open source, as
>> well as all kinds of one-sided viewpoints in their marketing literature.
>
>So it doesn't include everything, and suddenly it's "rewriting history"?
>I only read the Salon article (because I don't have the time to read
>every little moronic anti-MS rambling) and all it said, basically, was
>that MS' coverage of itself was long and of others, short. So what?
>If you want information about IBM, look up IBM. Do you really expect
>MS to spend countless hours chronicling every computer company since
>1970?

An encyclopedia is expected to give an objective, consistent view of all
of its subjects.  The Encyclopedia Britannica, for instance, seems to
try hard to have no particular agenda so you can usually trust that what
you read provides a balanced, scholarly presentation of the subject.
Encarta does not do this when it gives Microsoft more than the usual
coverage.  You cannot trust Encarta, except in the context of knowing it
was written by Microsoft.

Many people are led to believe that Encarta is a real encyclopedia like
Britannica, so when they get a distorted picture when Microsoft is given
more prominent coverage.  In this regard it falls in the same category
as an Advertorial or Infomercial.

--Norm

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:54:48 +1200

Encarta, If I remember correctly, is Funk and Wagnels Encyclopedia, thrown
onto CD by Microsoft.

Matthew Gardiner

news:cd2V6.807$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:57:29 +1200

-[snype]-

> What did you discover... ah yes,... a thirteen year old finally
> discovered masturbation.

Thus making Corpus Callosum a uni-sexual ;)

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:01:27 +1200

> Well, I don't know about your "losedos", but Unisys seems to be
> convinced that Win2K Datacenter is where their company needs to be.
> http://www.gartner.com/webletter/microsoft/article4/article4.html
>
> Abbey National decided to give their old mainframes the boot:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/datacenter/evaluation/casestudies/abbey
.asp

> Financial services? Unix won't cut it here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/datacenter/evaluation/casestudies/ragna
rok.
> asp
>
> Won't be long before NASDAQ is running an ES-7000 or a few.

SO, Chad, honey, what you are saying is that these events were so low key,
the only coverage that could be given is on their OWN website.  Most
companies I know don't jump onto www.microsoft.com and read the success
stories. They goto EDS or IBM and get them to design and implement a
solution.

Matthew Gardiner