From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:10:53 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > >    flatfish> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:00:14 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> > >    >> Fear makes a person small.
> > >
> > >    flatfish> And poisoning a childs mind is sick....
> > >
> > > Yes, lead poisoning is a bad thing.
> > >
> > > However teaching kids about homosexuality is nothing
> > > like that.
> > >

> > You're right.  It's much worse.
> >
> For 10 minutes could you stop being retarded, and explain in RATIONAL
> TERMS wht is wrong with homosexuality?

What part of  AIDS, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Kaposi's Sarcoma  do you not
understand?

>  (Any statistics you use must be
> fully referenced and independently verifiable)
> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:10:59 +1200

> Said Stuart Fox in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:38:04
> >>
> >> Well, that's fine, but then why did you feel compelled to respond?  The
> >> idea that Windows ftp services might not be up to snuff was too much
for
> >> you?
> >
> >No, I offered a suggestion, which may have been of assistance.
>
> Pure altruism, huh?  We're supposed to believe that?

Unlike you, my sole purpose is not to beat whoever happens to be opposed to
my view.

> >The idea of
> >Windows FTP services being not up to scratch matters little to me, like I
> >say, my customers don't require it.
>
> But, your customers aren't here, are they?  Why bring up your customers?
> I am not your customer, your customer's don't require you to reply to
> me, but you did.

No, you replied to me.  Why did you feel you needed to do that?  I replied
to someone who posed an interesting situation.  You just tried to bait me.

> >FTP servers seem to be fairly uncommon
> >down here (NZ), except for ISP's and universities.
>
> I'm just disappointed at the level of knowledge displayed by those
> cross-posting from *.nt.advocacy.  Bob did get some more specific help
> from Ayende, though.  Thanks anyway, I guess.

Which by the way is the same as what I proposed to him, he just gave
detailed instructions.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:14:47 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:

> > > Normally I would not even touch such a string of posts. What two adults do in
> > > privacy is no ones business. Who gives a flying fl&^%k what two people do
> > > together? Seriously what does it matter?
> >
> > When two adults spread communicable diseases like Hepatitis and Tuberculosis,
> > it is a matter of PUBLIC HEALTH and is EVERYBODY's business.
> >
> EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE FUCK SEXUALITY HAS TO DO WITH T.B.?

Regardless of whether it's explained or not, gays have an astronomical rate
of TB infection compared to the the heterosexual population.

In fact, it's usually one of the first SYMPTOMS of AIDS.

> AND I WANT TO SEE A CAUSAL CORRELATION HERE.

Almost 100% of the population (including gays) have been innoculated
for TB.  When gays catch AIDS, many don't know it until they catch TB...
of course...first, during the incubatory period, they go around spreading
it all over the place....

And the latest strains of TB are very anti-biotic resistant.

These people are walking epidemics.

> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:28:33 -0400

"Hacker D." wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 09 Jun 2001 23:31:01 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > >Have you been raped or something?
> >
> > No, his boyfriend's dumped him, that's all.
>
> Yeah, Bill Gates has very little time for personal relationships these
> days...  Maybe he'll pump his idol, Dubya, up the ass a couple of
> times.  I know one thing - W. Bush and Aaron both have approximately
> the same mental capabilities (the IQ of a brick).
>
> So Aaron, how does Dubya's semen taste?

You tell us.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:32:23 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g383r$h0n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > No, this is not a real array as percived in any other language. It's a
> > piece of memory that you can access, and there is a standard symbol for
> > accessing it, so it *looks* a real array, but it isn't.
>
> If it looks like a duck and tastes like a duck...

But bark instead of quacking....

> But seriously, how do you define a "real" array.  AFAICT the only things
> C arrays do not do that other languages do is bounds checking.

Don't underestimate bound checkings. That is the #1 reason for software
failure these days.
Beside, real arrays gives you size as well as just bound checkings.
Yes, C has it with sizeof for static arrays, but static arrays are *boring*.
Beside, as you noted, it handling of multi dimentional arrays isn't very
good.

> You can even have arrays with negative subscripts if you feel like it.

Yuck!
I remember once seeing someone present me an Ada style array class in C++.

IIRC, it went like this:

AdaArray<class T>::AdaArray(int first,int second){
    if ( second < first)
        throw Illegal_Operation;
    m_array = new T[abs(second - first) ];
    m_array -= first;
}

T & AdaArray<class T>::operator [](int pos){
    return m_array[pos];
}

The user would do this:

AdaArray<int> arrExample(10,20);
arrExample[11] = 0;

I'm sure you can understand why this sucks, but it's certainly efficent.

> > Cunning manipulation? That it simply how it works in C. A 2D array is an
> > array of pointers to a 1D array.
>
> Actually, multidimensional arrays are one of Cs ugliest points. You'll
> have to check what I say is exactly correct, but I think for the most
> part it is.
>
> if you define an array as:
>
> int bar[10][10]
>
> This is defined as an array of arrays (note, bar is not of type int**).

I think it's of type int*** (yeah, sucks).
I once got to five levels of pointers, but those are really rare.

> This is allocated as a contiguous block of memory. With this type of
> array, all but the last subscript size has to be passed to any function
> using the array.

Yes, it caught me off guard once.
Does it *do* anything with the subscript size, BTW?

The nice thing is that you can define it like this, and have the functions
takes int***

> Basically, it is a horrible, nasty piece of syntax and I always avoid
> these arrays at all costs because they do not allow for dynamic memory
> allocation.

Indeed, C really need this:

int* i,j,x; //all are of type int *, not just i.

> One of my favourite types of array are associative arrays. This is one
> reason i really like AWK. It is like C with some really neat features.

You mean surname["ayende"] = "rahien"; ?
I know that C++ has it, I believe it's std::set, or something like it.

> I don't know VB but I know it is descended from QuickBasic (which I used
> to program in a lot). In QB, you could define arrays to start and end at
> pretty much arbitrary points if you wished.
>
> <checks> (gotta love DOSEmu)
>
> the syntax is
>
> DIM foo(-10 to 50)

VB require all arrays to be 0 based.
Which is *really* stupid.
Because Dim foo[N] will NOT define an 0 .. N-1 array, like most other
language, nor it define 1 .. N, like it would be *logical* to do (avoid 0
based problems).
It define an N+1 array, 0 .. N
Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:32:14 GMT

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:59:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
[snip]

> >> PDF? Hardly the sort of thing suitable for a web site.
> >
> >Lots of webs sites do use them, and quite
> >successfully. What's the problem with them?
>
> Successfully?

Sure.

> >They do provide the control that HTML patently
> >does not.
>
> From what I've seen of PDF, it is nowhere near as good as HTML.

It is not for the same task. PDF was designed to
give you control; HTML is all about letting
the browser decide how to present your
info.

It sounds very much like for what you want
to do, PDF is a better solution.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:39:59 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> I'm not arguing that C isn't a good language, I'm arguing that it's not an
> easy language.

That largely tends to be dependent on the person using it. A compound bow can
be more lethal and easier to use than a zip gun, if the person knows how to use
the bow.

C and C++ *are* easy languages. They allow almost total control over what you
are doing. They do not "get in the way." Anything one can do with higher
languages can be done in C and C++. I find it very difficult to use Java, Perl,
etc. because they get in the way. Just because they are not idiot proof, does
not mean they are not easy.

Why is it when people talk about "easy to use" they always assume "for nitwits"
is at the end of the statement.

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:43:59 -0400

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > Here I must disagree. I use C and C++ all the time. Languages like
> > Perl, Java, PHP, etc. do not interest me.
>
> Whereas C tends to make me feel like I'm moving a mountain of sand with
> a single chopstick...  :^)
>
> > When ever I try to write something, the languages
> > do not have the ability to manipulate objects as I would in C or C++.
> > Take this:
> >   int CountBits(unsigned long *bits, int count)
> [...]
> > The above routine can be very fast. Can one write anything even close
> > in perl, Java, etc?
>
> Question: why would you want to ask that question in the first place?
> Counting the number of set bits in an array of unsigned longs seems a
> fairly pointless task to me!

You lack imagination. What would one do with an array of longs that are seen as
a large group of bits? The answer to this question refutes your statement.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:34:19 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:39:14 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Got any statistics on how many computers have DVD drives to back up
> >> your points?
> >
> >80-90%, I would say.
>
> Out of all the computers I've seen, around 0-0% have DVD drives.

It's already established that you don't see many computers.

> >> Or are you too busy invading Poland and burning Jews?
> >
> >You are getting very close to be the person who got the fastest to my
> >killfile.
>
> I wasn't talking to you.

That doesn't matter.
I really don't like your style.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:42:17 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> This computer's about three years old, and XP wouldn't stand a chance
> >> on it. Linux on the other hand runs perfectly. Looks like Windows
> >> loses again.
> >
> >What is the spec?
>
> 16MB RAM, 200Mhz processor, 1GB hard disk.

Sorry, that isn't a 5 years old standard computer.

I'm not sure that you could *get* a 200Mhz CPUs on 98, you know.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:43:30 +0000 (UTC)

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip!>

:>C is certainly not easier, C is one of the hardest languages in existance.
:>It's popular, I'll give you that, but it's not easy.

: Hard? Are you joking? It's one of the easiest languages there is.

C is a very small language; smaller than most languages that preceeded it,
and most that have come after it.  By virtue of being small, its
compilers are easy to port and it takes very little time to learn
its basics.  But since it is so small, C also requires a great deal
of programmer effort to get the program from point X to point Y.
So, one could say that C is both hard and easy at the same time,
for different reasons.

I like C, but not for everything.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:41:06 +0200

drsquare wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:39:14 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Got any statistics on how many computers have DVD drives to back up
>>> your points?
>>
>>80-90%, I would say.
>
> Out of all the computers I've seen, around 0-0% have DVD drives.

In germany I would guess about half of all new computers sold have a
DVD-drive built in. Give ore take a few percent.

>>> Or are you too busy invading Poland and burning Jews?
>>
>>You are getting very close to be the person who got the fastest to my
>>killfile.
>
> I wasn't talking to you.

Well, that reply from someone in Isreal to your (not very funny) reply to
a german should give you something to think about. This is a matter noone
ever should make fun of, way too much people have suffered because more
than 60 years ago a lot of (not most, but enough) germans thought that an
imbecile had some good ideas.
Always remember, there are still people alive who witnessed that horror.

Peter

--
Your depth of comprehension may tend to make you lax in worldly ways

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:32:12 +0200

drsquare wrote:

>>> Got any statistics on how many computers have DVD drives to back up
>>> your points? Or are you too busy invading Poland and burning Jews?
>>
>>C'mon, grow up!  This is the 21st century.  He wasn't even in existence
>>back then.
>>Stereotyping solves nothing.
>
> I was only having a laugh.

I did not find it *that* funny.

Peter

--
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons,
For thou art crunchy, and good with ketchup!

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:52:19 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > nearly as fast.
>
> Again, I'm not talking about the power of the language. I program in C/C++
> myself.
> I'm talking about the *ease* of the language.
> I'm sure you'll agree with me that C isn't a language that is either easy to
> learn or easy to write robust code with.

It is very easy to learn. It is very easy to write robust programs. The issue
is you have to learn how.

If people are too stupid or lazy to learn how to use an arc welder, you don't
accuse the arc welder of being hard to use or learn. You accuse the person of
being too stupid or lazy. An arc welder is a tool, nothing more, nothing less.
As a tool it is made to operate in a predefined pattern. An arc welder has some
very serious dangers and requires care in its use.

Languages like C and C++ are tools. They have some dangers in their use. One
must understand the nature of the tools they wish to use. If someone is too
stupid or too lazy to deal with a powerful tool like C or C++, then they ought
not. That, however, does not mean the C or C++ are not easy to learn or use.

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:46:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, it's not like they're being redirected there from my site, so
> I'm not too concerned

Unlike some people, I can look at this problem from more points of view
than only my own. They may be redirected from my customers' web sites,
so I am concerned.

--
Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:48:55 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:59:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> PDF? Hardly the sort of thing suitable for a web site.
> >
> >Lots of webs sites do use them, and quite
> >successfully. What's the problem with them?
>
> Successfully?
>
> >They do provide the control that HTML patently
> >does not.
>
> From what I've seen of PDF, it is nowhere near as good as HTML

I like HTML because it easily lends itself to creating web pages that
adapt their layout to whatever width the user sets his browser. PDF
pretty much demands a certain page size and shape.

Both formats can be misused. PDF tends to be misused by people who want
to cram print documents onto a CRT. HTML has its own common modes of
misuse.

None of these problems in any way justify a browser that adds new links
to pages it displays.

From: "S.T. Pickrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 17:10:20 -0400

Jet wrote:

> Let me explain something to you. Aaron is what I call a bitter boy. I
> believe bitter boys are that way because they can't get laid. (Aaron
> had to buy a mail order bride.) It also seems they tend to hate people

Oh he got married? Wonderful!

Shawn

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:57:14 +0200

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > > nearly as fast.
> >
> > Again, I'm not talking about the power of the language. I program in
C/C++
> > myself.
> > I'm talking about the *ease* of the language.
> > I'm sure you'll agree with me that C isn't a language that is either
easy to
> > learn or easy to write robust code with.
>
> It is very easy to learn. It is very easy to write robust programs. The
issue
> is you have to learn how.

Want to run a buffer overflow search on bugtraq and find out just how easy
it is? :-D

> Languages like C and C++ are tools. They have some dangers in their use.
One
> must understand the nature of the tools they wish to use. If someone is
too
> stupid or too lazy to deal with a powerful tool like C or C++, then they
ought
> not. That, however, does not mean the C or C++ are not easy to learn or
use.

Yes, but C & C++ (to a much lesser extent) require a great skill from the
programmer, and a lot of extra caution.
I don't have a problem with the first part, but the second part is a pain.