From: Ed Cogburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:48:41 -0400

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> which DEADLY, INCURABLE diseases are spread by heterosexual contact?

Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

Aaron, you ignorant and sad excuse for a human being, I told you before
when you were on one of your rants that the population of Zimbabwe is
being decimated by AIDS, as well as other areas in Africa, and the
transmission is exclusively HETEROSEXUAL.  They have orphanages full of
orphans who have lost their parents to AIDS, and many of them have
gotten AIDS too, from their mother.

Despite your stupid statements, the truth is still there for anyone to
see, just go to Zimbabwe in Africa or Thailand in Asia or other areas in
both regions, and you will find AIDS spreading among HETEROSEXUAL
POPULATIONS.  ANY heterosexual involved with multiple partners, and
especially the women who are more vulnerable, should rightfully fear
AIDS no matter where they are in this world.

--
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

------------------------------

From: "Interconnect" <mark###@logichip.com.au>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:52:07 +1000

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:07:30 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >Flatfish, are you illiterate? Maybe instead of venting your fustration
here,
> >in COLA, you goto an adult reading class. People can help you. There is
> >nothing to feel ashamed about.
>

> I prefer to read Poe, King and Twain rather than waste time wading
> through poorly written Linux How-NOT- To's.
>
> BTW, I never read a single Windows book. Only ones in my library are
> the ones that came with the programs, which amount to the various
> versions of Windows and Flight Simulator.
>

> flatfish+++
> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"

To "paraphrase"  I (flatfish) know absolutely nothing about computers.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:52:54 +0200

"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <befV6.15346$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I still don't get where you got this from. No one is saying that
> >64-bit won't catch on eventually, we were just saying it won't
> >be immediate. Just like people didn't jump to 32-bit immediately.
> >Many of the first apps for Win95 were still 16-bit. It'll just take
> >awhile.
> >

>     Intel released the 386 in October of 1985.  MS released "Chicago"
>     (Win95) in August of 1995.
>
>     The "jump", more like "ooze", to 32 bits took these rapid innovators
>     over nine years.
>
>     Why should we expect the "jump" to 64 bits should happen any faster ?

Because MS has OS to those 64bits chips that actually uses 64bits?
Don't underestimate the power of the most common OS.

Why weren't there any DOS clones for 386 that worked on 32bits?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:18:02 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:51:03 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare wrote:
>
> >> Got any statistics on how many computers have DVD drives to back up
> >> your points? Or are you too busy invading Poland and burning Jews?
> >
> >C'mon, grow up!  This is the 21st century.  He wasn't even in existence
> >back then.
> >Stereotyping solves nothing.
>
> I was only having a laugh.

Strange sense of humour.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:19:15 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ed Allen
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:01:16 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >In article
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >GreyCloud  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Therefore, that would make you a Windowinista... Billyinista...
> >>Gatesinista....
> >>
> >    He goes by the self proclaimed title:
> >
> >    Chad Myers, jerk.
> >
> >    But I do like the sound of Windowinista...
>
> I'm not sure I do; the word sounds like it trips over its own
> shoelaces.
>
> Multiple times.
>
> But it does seem to be an appropriate metaphor for Windows, which
> doesn't have shoelaces but still manages to trip over them
> multiple times...
>
> :-)
>
> (Pedant point: how about "Windowsinista"?  Still pertty trippy, though.)

Lets try Windanista.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:31:23 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> > > message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Not impressive, people had done more with less beforehand.

> > > And nothing significant ever since.
> > >
> > > The whole race to the moon was the biggest, stupidest, most wasteful PR
> > > campain that has ever taken place in human history.
> > > A lot of good things came out of it, but to do it for freaking *PR*?
> >
> > Well, it was more to it than that.  USSR had put up the first satellite
> > that frightened the military and things escalated from there. It was
> > political.
>
> Let's us seperate this here, okay?
> There was the military race, which was never stopped, and had pretty good
> reasons.
> Then there was the civilian one, NASA and its russian equilent, which was a
> public relation stunt and nothing more.

Well... to an extent yes as far as a public relations stunt.  Eisenhower
warned of the industrial-military establishment.  Once the sputnik went
up the military used PR to goad Eisenhower into starting up a large
space program that corporations could make large profits from. Hard to
stop once it starts moving and also once people by the millions are
hired and well paid and one political party starts making promises to
keep that pay check rolling almost impossible to stop.  The military was
able to create more billets for generals and admirals.  That is why I
say its all political.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:59 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare

> >>What is their to be proud of.
> >
> >Let me count the ways.  Some of these are of course ancient, but...
> >
> >[1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
> >    an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
>
> What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> their homes, and skinning them alive etc?
>
> >[2] Helped defeat the Nazis *and* the Japanese, more or less simultaneously.
>
> Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
>
> >[3] One of the highest GDP/capita in the world.
>
> Which about 10% of your population benefit from.
>
> >[4] First man on the moon.
>
> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> to death across the world...

Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?

> >>Yeah, other countries have personal freedom.
> >
> >Some other countries might.  It is not clear, for instance, whether
> >Cuba has such.
>
> But most other developed countries have more relaxed laws than
> America. For instance, in most countries you can look at a woman
> without being sued for sexual harassment.

I think you must have been watching too much TV.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:39:35 -0700

"Christopher L. Estep" wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> routine.

> > >No, the FIRST experience is editing that rediculous config file and
> > >trying to get your drivers and the clock rate and the resolution and
> > >all the other parameters set correctly.
> >
> > Well, you must have done something severely wrong. Whenever I set X
> > up, it installs and configures all by itself, no drivers needed.
> > Windows on the other hand requires delving into the big pile of
> > floppies looking for obscurely placed drivers just to get out of
> > 640x480 mode.
>
> What version of Windows (and what hardware) forced you into that sort of
> grief?
>
> Since Windows 95, I have *once* had to download new video drivers for a
> particular video card I've owned (ATI Rage for Windows NT 4) and *those*
> were included with Service Pack 4.
>
> With *every* version of Windows since, the drivers were either included with
> the OS, or included with the hardware.
>
> My curent video card (ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON) *requires* XFree86 4.x to
> work *at all* in Linux; and the acceleration is *still* broken with regard
> to VIA Apollo Pro 133A AGPsets.
>
> Windows XP *included* basic drivers, and the card's *Windows 2000* drivers
> (included with the card) are even better.
>
> Christopher L. Estep

And in the future when video card vendors make newer cards where will
your XP get its drivers then?  The vendors.

From: "Piers Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:40:37 +1000

news:9g32cv$e99$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

.
> I think therefore I might be, maybe.

.

Have to say I love it on Windows (sorry) but with the availability of it on
Linux now whilst we have no idea what is going on with BeOS makes Linux look
more attractive to me.  Also the features for Kernal 2.5 look quite nice and
will make Linux much better for media work stations than Windows 2K or Mac
OSX.  I was a Linux experimenter 2 to 3 years ago with Redhat 6.1 but left
it for BeOS.  Now I am considering coming back to have another good look.

Piers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Subject: Re: Arabs and Palestinians    Was: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:41:32 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:08:58 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Chris Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:56:48 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>palestinians

>> >I'm going to butt in because I've little doubt that I've more information
>> >about it than Kulkis.
>> >The palestinians, during the last 50 years, has been exposed to many bad
>> >things from the Israelian, but also to democracy to a degree that doesn't
>> >exist in the Arab world.
>> >It's a little published fact that the palestinians wants a chunk of
>Jordan
>> >as well as Israel, the last time they tried getting it, the King Hussien
>> >bombed them with tanks. They've been quite ever since.
>> >
>> What chunk of Jordan are they actually after?? Are we talking about
>> the West Bank, or stuff on the east side of the river??
>
>The part near the Israel border, sorry that I can't be more spesific, but
>trying to translate the terms I know is going to prove a futile effort, I'm
>afraid.

Sounds like you mean the West Bank. As I recall in the late Eighties,
the late King of Jordan actually gave the relevant chunk of land to
Yassar Arafat as a gift to the Palestinians.

Sadly however the Israelis had been occupying it since 1967 when they
invaded it and they are a little reluctant about giving it back......

79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:48:14 -0700

Maynard Handley wrote:

> In article <9fodg2$aeh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bill Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> I've been reading the followup to my message in bizarre amazement.
> Did no-one actually understand my point?
> The issue is NOT "how do I back up the system and then restore it to the
> same or an equivalent system"?
> The issue is, imagine I have a system that I've used for 4 years. It has
> on it maybe two hundred app, perhaps twenty of them commercial, the rest
> free/shareware. The apps have installed shared libs in various places,
> prefs in various places, help files and dictionaries and file translator
> plugins in various places. In addition various pieces of hardware (NTSC
> capture card eg) have installed their crud in various places.
>
> I want to take this whole mess and have my new, four years later computer
> with substantially different internals (no serial, ADB, SCSI, but new USB
> and 1394) just work the same way.
>
> NOTHING you people are arguing about has any relevance to solving this
> problem. Giving me a fscking break---you think XCOPY from a win95 machine
> onto a new machine that comes with Win ME is going to have any useful or
> pleasant effect?
> Neither is Partition Magic in any way relevant to the problem. Neither is
> this boneheaded article that recommends separating your data onto a
> separate drive. Well duh---now how exactly does that help with my two
> hundred apps, installed drivers and DLLs etc?
>
> And the Linux crowd don't seem to have anything useful to ad either beyond
> "Windows sux". I've not read anything that indicates the problem is better
> on Linux. I could believe that some parts of the problems are
> easier---presumably PER USER prefs files are limited in how far they can
> go. But a linux box used as a personal box---what about all the apps? What
> about drivers installed after the OS? What about OS-wide prefs that you
> set?
>
> Maynard

The best answer to this dilemna, and it is a concern for me as well with
all my apps, is to backup the zips if they are there and back up the
data if any are there.  Most of the software under Win98 I've downloaded
are in zip format.  I use a tape drive that can hold 8Gb on a tr-4.
What I've noticed on a complete hard drive backup are the relationship
of the main app sub-directory and the placement of the data files...
close by or a sub-sub-directory of the app.  When my hard drive croaked
I replaced it.. booted with the Win98 emergency disk.. formated the
drive to my liking ... installed the os... then installed the tape
transport driver from cd-rom... then loaded all of the zips. I unzipped
my programs on a new install... went back to tape and restored selected
data files.  It's never a picnic when you have a lot of apps and data
files.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:57:42 -0700

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "The Ghost
> In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I would submit that software developed with tax dollars should be
> > copyrighted, much like any other software.  Granted, one might require
> > that the copyright comes with a rider clause requiring that everyone can
> > use this software and have free access to the source code thereof; this
> > is somewhat like GNU in that respect.
>
> Unfortunately, the federal government can't copyright anything.  And that
> would include GPL'ing it.
>
> "17 USC §105, Subject matter of copyright: United States Government works:
> Copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of the
> United States Government, but the United States Government is not
> precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it by
> assignment, bequest, or otherwise."
>
> A lot of the federally funded stuff gets released into the public domain
> without any protection whatsoever.   It doesn't get copyrighted by
> somebody else, due to the provable lack of originality, but the material
> can be cited in a patent application without fear of infringement.
>
> And we should all know by now how wonderful software patents are.

Quite painfully true in my case.  My efforts on a Genrad (General Radio
Corp) to enhance productivity in Automated Test Engineering simulators
reduced the usual 2 man weeks of work down to 3 seconds.  It was just a
big gapping oversight and I took care of it.
But GenRad took found out about it and took the whole kit'n kaboodle.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:59:02 -0700

Ed Allen wrote:

> In article <9g1om6$qvo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >>     That shows the kind of power differential between DOS and Unix
> >>     shells because the same loop works for 'ksh'.
> >
> >You are aware that *DOS* had it too? And that CMD has it as well or better?
> >(I don't do CMD, I use WSH)
> >

>     I never messed around much with DOS but I remember hearing many
>     complaints about "batch files".  Seems the programmers who did
>     have to work with them thought their conditional tests and branching
>     primitives were very limited.
>
>     If COMMAND.COM had such constructs then was 'ren' a builtin ?  Or
>     an external command ?

It was built in.

------------------------------

From: "Piers Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:58:47 +1000

Why then can Opera follow standards and win in the speed stakes?
Open standards for information exchange in a digital environment are
crucial.  If not you end up with a Digital Tower of Babel or worse one self
motivated company controlling digital information.  Considering Mozilla was
an Open Source project, it's lack of standards adherence is a joke.  One
only hopes they can clean up after themselves and fix the mess they made.

Piers

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:01:44 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Indedd, this is a religous issue.
> >>
> >> The one TRUE way is as follows:
> >>
> >> ls *.zip | sed -e's/\(.*\).zip/mv & \1.blah' | sh
> >
> > wait - stop - so this is something users are expected to do to rename
> > files?
>
> No they are not required to remember this. They can use mv to move/rename
> single files. To do bulk renames they could use the DOS style
> rename command. The above, however is far, far more flexible and well
> worth using. For instance I use the same command (ish) to do a batch job
> of processing on a bunch of files, using a command other than mv. That is
> the beauty of it: using a few small well defined components, ie ls, sed
> sh and piping, you can not only build up complex commands, but create new
> commands that no one else has created in a single line.
>
> It also illustrates why the CLI should not be abandoned since you
> couldn't do something like it easily in a GUI. Still, if the user wishes,
> (s)he is prefectly able to do it the slow and boring way :-)
>

> > And someone somewhere still thinks the unix shell is "a good thing" ?
>
> If you can find me a faster, better, shorter and easier[*] way to do it,
> then, by all means please tell me.
>
> And yes, I do think the UNIX shell is a good thing because for those take
> the time to learn it, it is extremely powerful and flexible. However, no
> one is obliged to use it, so it doesn't make life hard for the people who
> can't take the time to learn it.
>
> So why do you want to get rid of the UNIX shell? It doesn't do you any
> harm but it does do me a lot of good. Do you just want to be vindictive
> to me?
>
> [*]You'd have a hard job making it much easier, since I know sed pretty
> well.

Strange that group renaming was in VMS for quite a while.  Then we got
an update to the O/S and the group renaming was removed.  DEC said it
was a bug and a bad idea.  I had to write a program to put back that
capability.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:05:20 +0100

>> > nearly as fast.
>>
>> Again, I'm not talking about the power of the language. I program in
>> C/C++ myself. I'm talking about the *ease* of the language. I'm sure
>> you'll agree with me that C isn't a language that is either easy to
>> learn or easy to write robust code with.
>
> It is very easy to learn. It is very easy to write robust programs. The
> issue is you have to learn how.

I disagree. I think there are easier lanugages to learn and there are
certainly eaiser languages to write robust code in. One of the benefits
of C is that it is very powerful and flexible, but this does not came at
no expense.

Even when you know C it is possibel to make silly buffer overrun mistakes.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:08:31 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Nico Coetzee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > If you drag files from your hard drive to the flopppy (just using the
> left
> > > button) then they will ALWAYS be copied. The ONLY way to make them show
> up
> > > as shortcuts is to hold the Alt key while copying with the left or using
> the
> > > right and then selecting create shortcut. It can't happy by a simple
> drag
> > > and drop.
> > >

> > NOPE! I have many examples, using just normal drag without any buttons -
> > and it still screws up. The main problem is that it doesn't do it all
> > the time, which make it difficult to figure out:
> >
> > a) am I doing something wrong, OR
> > b) is the OS doing something wrong
>
> 1) you are doing something wrong OR
> 2) you are making this shit up
>

> > > Then again, how can you fault the OS when the user makes a mistake? I
> mean,
> > > if I use the CLI and mistype something and accidently delete these files
> > > instead of those files cause I put a * where a ? should have been - is
> that
> > > the OS's fault or the users? I think we know the answer.
> >
> > That can also happen in a GUI - especially new users not yet that
> > comfortable using the mouse. Last week a lady called my because she
> > accidebtly moved the Program Files folder. A smart system should not
> > have allowed her that in the first place...
>
> And what "smart" system will prevent her from typing rm * ?

Role-based accounts.  Also VMS (delete command) sys admin can allocate a
command list for a particular user to prevent disasters such as this.