From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:52:31 -0700

Michael Vester wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> > > moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> > > it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> > > if it went south.
> > >
> > > -c

> > Highly unlikely that any stock exchange is using micros or microsoft
> > products to run the core of operations. These are done with
> > mainframes... goto comp.os.vm or comp.os.vms and ask the question.

> Exactly. There are many applications out there that can't be run on a
> microcomputer platform.  Our local municipal government still runs a
> Unisys system for tax assessment. IBM tried for 10 years to move it over
> to an IBM mainframe platform. They failed. Now they are trying to move it
> to a losedos/Oracle platform. I don't think they will be any more
> successful.

hehehe... I our city moved over to win2k and oracle to maintain records
of traffic violations.  Then one day ol' Barney Fife caught me doing 38
in 35 mph zone and gave me a ticket... I waited and watched the
newspaper for any down time... sure enough they went down... I trekked
on down to the courthouse to see if I had any moving violations on file
and they said 'nope'.  Sometimes it pays to have Win2k in government.
:-))

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:53:28 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:fbuU6.12567$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> unfortunately, runs

> > > NASDAQ's web server is Windows. The computer that actually does the
> > > trading is a big Unisys mainframe. Microcomputer architecture just isn't
> > > capable. It's not a Windows verses Linux issue.
> >
> > About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> > moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> > it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> > if it went south.
>
> It's still in the works. There isn't an announcment because it's not done
> yet.

If there isn't an announcement of the move then how do you know?
Have any inside info?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:56:38 -0700

"Funky-Fresh Hacker D." wrote:

> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hehehe.... nothing like ol senna cotte wouldn't cure!  Nutscrape 6
> > really is one slow program and a disk hog.
>
> But it's 100% standards compliant, and that's the important thing.
> Also, the core components of Mozilla aren't too bad, and Galeon, which
> uses Mozilla-embedded, is proof of this.  Galeon is Mozilla w/out all
> that XML stuff slowing it down.  But the downside of Galeon is that it
> takes up a lot of disk space, so it's not that simple, light, fast
> open source browser we've all been dreaming of.  It's good, though.
>
> Also, anyone ever try the HotJava browser?  It didn't seem too bad,
> but the last time I tried it, it didn't run Java applets too well.
> Isn't that ironic -- a browser written in 100% Java that has problems
> with Java applets?

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Nutscrape 6 was pure garbage.... kept crashing and also when the mouse
moved over some sections of the screen the titles smeared.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:56:05 +0100

drsquare wrote:
>  ("Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >looking for?  At least on Unix you can be pretty sure it'll be somewhere
> >below your home directory[*]...
>
> Is that [*] supposed to be referring to somewhere?

No.  I had a footnote in there but deleted it when I decided it didn't
strengthen the point I was trying to make.  Alas, I forgot to nuke the
footnoteref as well...  :^)

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Well, I'm not exactly a high-brow cineaste either.  The number of Iranian

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:53:44 +0100

Pinocchio Poppins wrote:
> "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Pinocchio Poppins wrote:
>>> In a way, yes.  My computer has a 40 GB hard disk, and if I wanted,
>>> I could turn on the swap file and get 40 GB of virtual memory with a
>>> 128 MB cache.
>> You need a 64-bit processor
>
> What does "64-bit" mean in this context?  The P6 processors
> (Pentium Pro, Pentium II, Celeron-A) have three pipelines
> (U, V, and W) that can each run a 32-bit integer operation.  The P6
> core is limited to simple instructions in its V and W pipelines, while
> Athlon can run any integer operation in any integer pipeline.

It refers (in this instance; sorry about being ambiguous) to the
addressable space.  There's not much point in having RAM that you
can't address...

> If you're referring to address space, even the Xeon and Itanium
> processors only have 36-bit physical addressing (64 GB), and the
> chipset generally reserves half of that for card I/O and ROM space.

You should try working with a real supercomputer sometime...  >:^)

(OK, maybe not.  The IRIX64 compilers and libraries are not nice.)

>> (or some horrible tricks that were both developed
>> and forgotten again in the '80s)
>
> Not forgotten.  Swapping a sleeping process entirely out to disk
> is still used in e.g. Solaris.

I wasn't thinking of that at all.  I was thinking of some of the hairier
tricks with banked memory that were used to give 8-bit processors half-meg
memories to work with.  I *hope* that stuff has been forgotten, since it
was horrendous to work with...

>> And I can assure you that you don't want to swap/page a
>> 1GB process between disk and 128MB of memory.
>
> If the process is only using 16 MB of that memory as its
> working set, it isn't so bad.

I'm used to processes that have GB-sized working sets.  :^/

Donal.

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:41:00 +0200

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> [snip]
> Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
>
> Aaron, you ignorant and sad excuse for a human being, I told you before
> when you were on one of your rants that the population of Zimbabwe is
> being decimated by AIDS, as well as other areas in Africa, and the
> transmission is exclusively HETEROSEXUAL.  They have orphanages full of
> orphans who have lost their parents to AIDS, and many of them have
> gotten AIDS too, from their mother.
>
> Despite your stupid statements, the truth is still there for anyone to
> see, just go to Zimbabwe in Africa or Thailand in Asia or other areas in
> both regions, and you will find AIDS spreading among HETEROSEXUAL
> POPULATIONS.

Most important fact is that _we_ are all concerned, AIDS is an
intercultural disease. No matter how high the risk really is, sometimes
discussions like this serve only to forget that it's _my_ health that is
in danger.
Talking about minorities is easy if you don't belong to them: whatever
taboo I might get to, it's not my life.
BTW, a good way to get those discussions (face to face, esp. in groups)
back to earth is talking about contraception and sexuality of the people
involved: Now the taboo is ours, the problem is ours and we are talking
about everyday life, not as seen on TV or read in papers written to fit
into everyone's lunch break.

Think about this:
        When my girl and I decided to leave condoms outta bed, I proposed to
get us both tested. She was a bit frightened at first, thought that
there was only danger where there's a test, but it was easy to convince
her: How could she know if I lied to her or not? What if I knew I had
AIDS and didn't tell her? (Yeah, excellent rhetoric device for
positively predisposed relationships: just twist it around the evil way.
Works.)
        She called her gynaecologist and was told to come next day. When she
arrived, there already was rumors and rants like "uuh, you're the one
with the <look left, look right> AIDS test <g> ". Imagine the faces of
the other patients waiting.
        The doctor was really cool: He told her to have the test made
anonymously at the "Gesundheitsamt", a public health care office,
because her health insurance record would block her entry into public
service.
Once again: This doctor said, Lady, don't let your future employer (the
Fed. Rep. of Germany) know that you had yourself tested or they won't
employ you. And this guy even knew examples!
And all we wanted to do is live our relationship in a responsible way.

People, this is so pervert, I couldn't believe it.
And the pervertion is the same as with Mr. "baise-cule" Kulekiss: take a
strong sexual taboo, fear of death and painful disease and start to
gossip. The greater the distance (taboo) the easier assumptions and
guesses become "truth". The whole thing works quite fine, as long as it
is not disturbed by truth, which would mostly be a catastrophe in these
cases.

The only way to cure AIDS is to get to the splinter in our own eyes.
AIDS has something to do with all of our lives, habits and lifestyles.
Bothering with other people's ones will not solve the problem, neither
does it answer the question of guilt properly, which wouldn't solve the
problem either.

BTW, I totally left out the possibility that Mr. Kulekiss simply waits
to be f###ed in his a## and doesn't know how to put it... But I think
he's only a punk begging for attention (like they all do).

Happy testing,
        B.

> ANY heterosexual involved with multiple partners, and
> especially the women who are more vulnerable, should rightfully fear
> AIDS no matter where they are in this world.
>
> --
> It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:02:22 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > T. Max Devlin wrote:
> > > Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 10 Jun 2001 14:08:35
> add
> > >
> > > Actually, Ayende, if you don't mind the advice, it would just make you
> > > look foolish.
> > >

> > No, TMax, the one person looking foolish is you.
> > Ayende is advocating Windows, and he has reasons to do it.
> > You may find those reasons invalid, but he does it in a quite pleasant
> > way, very different from Chad Myers and Jon Johanson.
>
> Pleasant or not pleasant (from your point of view) doesn't invalidate things
> Chad or I may say. I don't think I'm unpleasant but I realize that I am
> saying things that people who hate MS and it's products won't like to hear.
> And sometimes I put linux down too and that would be unpleasant to those
> that love it. But, again, that doesn't invalidate the facts.
>
> > He actually knows what he is talking about.
>
> I take offense at that however, I do know what I'm talking about - you may
> just not like what you hear...
>
> > You, on the other hand, tell us all how vastly superior linux is compared
> > to the stuff MS sells. Yet you do not use linux, you use windows.
> > Seems to be a little contradiction, doesn´t it?
>
> So why not fling your "unpleasant" comments at him then? At least we use the
> products we advocate religiously.

Hey, when is MS gonna fix VC6.0??
I've been waiting for over a year and still no fixes.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:03:33 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fvkht$a69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fvju8$k1u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Regarding Microsoft's networth, at one stage, it was at the same amount
> at
> > > General Electric, however, if you wanted the REAL networth, it would be
> > > substantially less.  I would say, $200B, maybe a few more, but not much
> > > more. General Electic, prior to the buyout of Honeywell, is valued at
> > around
> > > $500B-$600B.  Many tech stocks are way, way, way overvalued due to naive
> > > idiots buying into buzz word orientated business's that have no real
> long
> > > term business plan or goals.
> >
> > Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about other
> > companies.
> > I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could add
> > small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".
>
> Well - consider that Microsoft has more hard cash in the bank than any other
> US company. It has $30 billion dollars in cold hard currency in the bank.
> Don't know it's networth off the top of my head but I remember that factoid.
> So, it could fling $30 billion in any direction it'd like in a heartbeat, no
> bankers, no dealers, no negotiation - just *plonk* we own it - I love that
> :)

They don't have hard cash in the bank. Most of its tied up in stocks and
investments.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:04:59 +0100

> I'd agree that Zuse is often unfairly ignored in histories of the
> digital  computer, but I'd also argue that Zuse wasn't really doing
> anything really
>  novel; Charles Babbage is probably the true father of the programmable
> computer (even though he never built the Analytical Engine, it would
> have  worked).  Still, Zuse was certainly a visionary and rightfully
> deserves  recognition.  (Dr. Dobbs had a feature on Zuse machines in a
> recent issue

Not doing anything novel?! Are you joking?

He built the first ever binary computer. He also built the first floating
point hardware, not to mention a processor with primitive pipelining
slightly later. He did a lot of novel stuff which the rest of the world
topok a very long time to catch up with.

In hin escapades, he also cerated the first analogue to digital converter
as well and used one of his computers to controll a process for making
wings using it.

He did a very large number of novel things. Also, he suceeded where
babbage failed due to superior design. He built his first computer
entirely by hand out of bits of metal. Babbage was unable to build his
because his design was much harder to build even though the technology
was similar.

>>> And the first real "digital" computer was created for the Los Alamos
>>> scientists to model nuclear explosions -- Alan Turing advised much of
>>> the  design.
>>
>> That is not true. Very few analogue computers have ever been built.
>> Most were digital. The first binary one was the Z1.
>>

> Nope.  I'd buy "electro-mechanical", but they certainly were *not*
> digital

Are you defining digital as electronic? if so, this is an incorrect
definition.

> (i.e., based on switched/binary circuits).  I can't speak to the Z1, but

The Z1 was purely mechanical (the only electricity used was the
drive motor), but it was definitely a digital computer, since it had a
finite set of defined states.

> know that COLOSSUS, the bombes, and the various other electromechanical
> devices used prior to the true digital computers were ultimately based
> on  rotors (a la the Enigma and Blaise Pascal's calculating machine) or
> linked
>  stepper gears (a la the Difference/Analytical Engine).  These machines
> depended on state being maintained either by absolute position of
> stepped  gears/rotors or by the relative positions of valves/gates
> (which is *kind*
>  of digital, but these valves/gates fairly "fuzzy" in that they were not
>
> absolutely "open" or "closed").

No, they were definitely digital, since there was no meaning assosciated
to a slightly closed valve compared to a completely open valve. Poor
switches doesn't make it not digital. What made it digital was that there
was no continum of states.

> Was the Z1 based on vacuum tubes or electronic switches?  Or did it use
> mechanical/pneumatic switches?

No electricity at all. A truly remarkable device. It ran at 1Hz, but it
wasn't terribly reliable. the Z2 was an improved version of the Z1 using
relays for the main CPU, making it rather faster and more reliable.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:05:35 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter Köhlmann"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Was the Z1 based on vacuum tubes or electronic switches?  Or did it use
>> mechanical/pneumatic switches?
>>

> Mechanical. It worked with relays which Zuse himself built. Quite a show
> of perseverance, I´d say.

It didn't use realys. It didn't use electricity apart for the mechanical
drive.

-ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:05:39 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9g2bl8$eq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Encarta, If I remember correctly, is Funk and Wagnels Encyclopedia,
> thrown
> > >onto CD by Microsoft.
> >
> > With content added, deleted, and modified per Microsoft's marketing
> > agenda.
>
> Untrue - prove your claim!

Are you on Microsofts payroll?
Do they owe you something?

------------------------------

From: Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:06:46 +0200

In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags works.
>
> http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
>
> Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you know
> that there will be a response if you hover above it.
> Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
> In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and click
> on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.

1. As a web designer, I think this is horrible. If I don't want MS to screw
the design on my pages up, what do I do?

2. For every word IE finds on the page, it must do an extra query to a MS
server to find more info on it, right? This way, a lengthy html document
can take an eternity to load. Although, it could be done with just one
query though. It's at least one more access.

3. MS can, by hiding it in Smart Tags, justify that IE sends information to
MS server for every page we surf, do you think this isn't logged? What do
you think it sends? Lets say, for each word matching the database, IE sends
"http://sandman.net CITRIX" to smarttags.microsoft.com, this way, MS know
what IP I am on, what page I have surfed and what keywords the page
contains.

If we should be really cynical, this could be a way for MS to build a Smart
Tag-words database that is based on people doing the hard work for them by
indexing what sites contains what words for them.

--
Sandman[.net]

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:06:47 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3b24ecd2$0$2600$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > thrown
> > >
> > > With content added, deleted, and modified per Microsoft's marketing
> > > agenda.
> >
> > Untrue - prove your claim!
>
> I've never used Encarta, I prefer sticking to the dead wood on my shelf, you
> know, books.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Besides, if I want to look up info I've got the internet to search.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux     starts
 getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:09:47 +0100

> The first thing that Americans are proud of is their proper use of the
> word 'there'.  The second thing that we Americans are proud of is both

Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.

> our level of education and the fact that we pay for our own education.

Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.

> Americans learn a sense of  accomplishment and independence at an early
> age.

Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
independence?

> Unlike your country, we Americans do not feel the need to have our
> government take the majority of our income and then dole it back out to
> us as seen fit.

maximum of 40% is not a majority.

> Most all medical programs in Eurpoe are a complete disaster.   The NHS
> in the UK should be disbanded immediately.

Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
something we should be proud of.

> Nowhere in the world does an individual have a greater chance of success
> building a small business than in the USA.  No other nation on Earth
> puts more money into research and development than the USA.

Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?

> Without the USA, mother Russia would have gobbled up most all of Europe
> long ago.

Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
free" long ago.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:08:43 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > > Charlie, you also forgot include the fact that because they can use
> "Visual
> > > Basic", that automatically makes them a programming genius. Also, you
> see
> > > them drool at the site of Bill Gates and/or other tech person on cnet
> streaming
> > > media.  I on the other hand, unlike Windows admins, don't see computers
> as
> > > the centre of my existance.  Maybe these Windows admins should go out,
> and
> > > find a life outside computers and realise how much of their lives they
> have
> > > wasted...no..actually, thats good they are not out in the real world.
> Atleast
> > > people can feel safe that their children aren't going to have Bill
> Gates's
> > > disciples preaching the word of "word".
> > >
> > > Matthew Gardiner
> > >
> > > http://www.zfree.co.nz
> >
> > What can you tell from a visual basic programmer with drool coming out
> > of both corners?
> > The monitor is level.
>
> First programming language learnt was BBC Basic, followed by AmigaBASIC the
> Visual Basic in the PeeCee world. I now have COBOL under my belt, which is
> quite good in my job, maintaining legacy systems.  I am learning on the
> side, Java, which looks like a pretty interesting language.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Doing the same with Java myself... I find it very interesting.
I think it is a good idea to diversify ones skills these days.