Linux-Advocacy Digest #150, Volume #35           Tue, 12 Jun 01 06:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? (GreyCloud)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   (Thaddius Maximus)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   (Thaddius Maximus)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Redhat video problems. (GreyCloud)
  Re: Redhat video problems. (GreyCloud)
  Re: Opera ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals (Scott Gilbert)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (GreyCloud)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (GreyCloud)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (GreyCloud)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (T. R. Ellis)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (mlw)
  Re: More funny stuff. (Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:09:51 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > First programming language learnt was BBC Basic, followed by AmigaBASIC
>                                         ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Good choice. One of the best and fastest BASICs ever made. Also one of
> the few (only one?) that could cope with memory allocation and pointers.

Never had the chance to use BBC Basic. Actually, never heard of it.
Everything at the time was MS Basic this or MS that....

------------------------------

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:47:45 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > [1] Tamed the West -- an internal matter, to be sure, but quite
> >     an accomplishment given the primitive technology at the time.
>
> Not impressive, people had done more with less beforehand.
>
> > [4] First man on the moon.
>
> And nothing significant ever since.

Are you serious?  Nothing ever since???  Where have you been, boy!
Sheezh man, the US has flown probes by the rings of Saturan, flown
by Jupiter's moons, have landed on Mars, and are building and funding
most all of the next generation space station.

The USA also flies in and out of space with reusable space shuttles.
We are the ONLY country with resusable space craft.

> The whole race to the moon was the biggest, stupidest, most wasteful PR
> campain that has ever taken place in human history.
> A lot of good things came out of it, but to do it for freaking *PR*?

You just stated that the first man on the moon was significant and now
you are saying that it was stupid.  Make up your mind, boy.

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:57:39 +0100

drsquare wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
> >[4] First man on the moon.
>
> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> to death across the world...

scooter, that starving is going on in your Euro backyard, along with
some genocide but you don't seem too bothered by it.  You also never seemed
too bothered that your eastern euro brothers have lived for decades under
brutal regimes while you lavished in a western europe lifestyle.

Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
to do a damn thing about it.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:11:11 +0100

In article <FpLU6.13631$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The American spirit, a nation of mostly good and honest people who,
> under great stress or challenge can rise above and conquer any problem
> thrown at them.

If you think that the "American People" as a group of people are
significantly different from any other group of people, you are quite
deluded.

> Granted, the Government has already been ruined by Democrats, but the
> American spirit and drive will never die.
>
>> >Strongest nation on earth.  Others will surely balk at me, but who
>> >cares.
>> >
>> >We have the strongest economy, the strongest military,
>>
>> Meaningless.
>
> Pfft.. you're just an idiot.

Pffft, so are you.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:12:17 -0700

Rotten168 wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9g364k$fa3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >                                         ^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > Good choice. One of the best and fastest BASICs ever made. Also one of
> > > the few (only one?) that could cope with memory allocation and pointers.
> > >

> > > -Ed
> > AmigaBasic is one program from Microsoft that doesn't suck majorly. 15-16
> > years ago, Microsoft was quiet an innovative company, now they are just
> > another monopoly trying to maintain its strangle hold on the market. Or as
> > Adam Smith, the father of modern economics, put it:
>
> AmigaBasic, is that the program Gates *literally* stole from DEC? I may
> be thinking of a Basic compiler actually. He admitted that they found it
> on some discarded reel tapes in a DEC trash bin.
>
> This being a major anti-MS NG I'm sure someone must have that link.

About the only reference about bills past is in "Fire in the Valley".
As a kid he was in Bellevue pestering some business to let him play with
one of their DEC machines with basic.  I think it explains his slant
toward DECs ways.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:15:01 +0200

"Sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags
works.

> > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
> >
> > Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you
know
> > that there will be a response if you hover above it.
> > Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
> > In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and
click
> > on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
>
> 1. As a web designer, I think this is horrible. If I don't want MS to
screw
> the design on my pages up, what do I do?

You put the opt-out meta tag.

> 2. For every word IE finds on the page, it must do an extra query to a MS
> server to find more info on it, right? This way, a lengthy html document
> can take an eternity to load. Although, it could be done with just one
> query though. It's at least one more access.

It doesn't work like this.
You *could* make it work like this (smart tags can be linked to COM objects,
which can do anything), but the MS stock definations don't do it.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:17:12 -0700

flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:10:17 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Nope, you're the type that pays a TV repair person $60 an hour + call out
> >fee, because you can't setup a video and television set, even though there
> >is a setup-by-setup instruction manual included.
> >
> >Matthew Gardiner
> >

> Wrong.
>
> Been repairing TV's since they had tubes in them.
> Had to put all of that great vacuum tube theory I learned in
> engineering school to use somehow.
>
> BTW that was back when you actually had to know something to repair a
> TV set compared to now where all you do is swap boards and bill the
> customer for such.

Isn't that the truth!
Electronics used to be a good field to be in... now most of the techs
are just board swappers.  You have to go to a big city to still get a
good electronics job.
The ol' 6SN7 tube was a fairly popular tube if my memory serves me
correctly.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:18:35 -0700

flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:07:30 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Flatfish, are you illiterate? Maybe instead of venting your fustration here,
> >in COLA, you goto an adult reading class. People can help you. There is
> >nothing to feel ashamed about.
>
> I prefer to read Poe, King and Twain rather than waste time wading
> through poorly written Linux How-NOT- To's.
>
> BTW, I never read a single Windows book. Only ones in my library are
> the ones that came with the programs, which amount to the various
> versions of Windows and Flight Simulator.

It's kinda funny that on Fox News channel they are advertising "Windows
Professor" to learn how to operate windows.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:20:11 +0100

> I've seen Netscape take linux down Ed but it wasn;t a kernel panic. I
> just got into a state where everything locked up and I couldnt get into
> any of my virtual consoles.

I've never seen that happen , but I'm willing to believe it.

I enabled the sysrq key for emergencies like that (I use DOSEmu a bit)
and it always works.

> My two guilders worth is that at the moment Opera is the business, no
> crashes yet with me, nice and fast and the adverts are very very tiny.
>
> Me's happy with Opera.
>
> Cheers
>
> Sean

-Ed

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:21:38 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:
> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> if you define an array as:
>>    int bar[10][10]
>> This is defined as an array of arrays (note, bar is not of type int**).
>
> I think it's of type int*** (yeah, sucks).

No.  It's of type int[10][10], as you can tell via sizeof().  Array types
and pointer types are very closely related in C, but not identical...

> I once got to five levels of pointers, but those are really rare.

Things start to get complicated when you get to three or four levels of
pointers.  Especially if there are 'const's thrown in there as well...

I do a lot of coding in C, and hate it from a position of knowledge,
ability and experience.  By the time you've stapled on enough libraries
to make it usable, the terse little language from K&R has ballooned out
to a verbose monster with bizarre types that it is hard to follow.

The alternatives suck rocks too, but in different ways.  :^)

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Well, I'm not exactly a high-brow cineaste either.  The number of Iranian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gilbert)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: 12 Jun 2001 02:32:41 -0700

chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>

> >> Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
> >> dangers of all sorts.
> >
> >Its actually all about volunteering to die for absolutely no reason at
> >all.
>
> Oh there's always a reason.  Usually like "we kill a bunch of them,
> they kill a bunch of us, and in the end, things are the same they
> always have been."

Hmmm, seems like "they killed a bunch of us and in the end, our wealth
was diverted to their economy" isn't all that much of an improvement.
I'm not a member of the defence forces, but I'm grateful as heck to
those who are.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:32:22 -0700

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > There is one reason to choose C over C++.
> > You can use C functions with *everything*, there isn't a language that
> > doesn't have C binding.
> > There are plenty that doesn't have C++ binding.
> >

> Yeah, but why not put those C-functions into a module and call them from
> your C++? That way you can have both.
>
> Peter

As an aside... I was trying to use the throw statement in g++.
It compiled correctly, but it didn't work... just got a core dump.
I wasn't able to find any references to g++ throw at the website either.
Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:34:04 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Linux,  like Windows,  is coded in C.  So is GNOME.
>
> Just as a note, Linux is indeed written in C, but Windows is written mainly
> in C++.
> Windows' *kernel* is written in C, though.

Ahh... then that must explain for the code bloat then.
These days its a moot point, but I still like tight code.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:30:29 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:
> C++'s advantage is that you can mask all of it.
> A good C++ programmer should use very few new and even fewer delete.

Depends on the application, of course.  Some things can't be done with
program-structure-driven allocation, and C++ references tend to make
life more confusing, not less...

> Hell, just having std::string eliminate roughly 25% of the reasons for
> buffer overflows.

Just having a sensibly wrapped I/O system can eliminate roughly 75% of
the (serious) buffer overflows.  Stdio is nice and convenient for output
and debugging, but gets()...  <shudder>

> If I built something that is mission *critical*, I would go for Ada.
> This is a very good language for building stable applications, because it
> catch so many errors before it will agree to compile.

Eiffel or B are better still for mission critical applications.

Donal.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:45:59 -0700

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:40:40 +0100,
>  pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I use Gnome. I am sorry, but I don't see how it is a failure ? It's now
> > fast and stable and I like it very much. Just because you have a some
> > beef with their implementation and language choice - it is far to harsh
> > to say this. As far as I (a user) am concerned it is great - and as a
> > programmer they have added some wonderful things! All the better.
>
> Hey Pip, which version of Gnome are you reffering to ?
>
> I really like Gnome, tho the version that came with Mandrake7.1 was
> too unstable for me, suffering the odd WM freeze :(
>
> Any advice re production suitability for Gnome ?

I had RH 6.0 and it came with gnome. Never had any WM freezes or
crashes.
I suspect the X server for your particular video card.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:49:42 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Funky-Fresh Hacker D." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > What?!  I don't understand what stability has to do with C vs. C++.
> > It's not what the language can do, it's the way that you use it that
> counts.
>
> The choice of language has a lot to do with the stability of the final
> product.
> You can't find a C/C++ program that didn't overflow the buffer, or tried to
> write to a NULL pointer.
>
> C++'s advantage is that you can mask all of it.
> A good C++ programmer should use very few new and even fewer delete.
> Hell, just having std::string eliminate roughly 25% of the reasons for
> buffer overflows.
>
> That is not to say that you can't get a stable product with C, but it's
> easier with other language.
>
> If I built something that is mission *critical*, I would go for Ada.
> This is a very good language for building stable applications, because it
> catch so many errors before it will agree to compile.
>
> Java is good for this too, because it has about as many checks.
>
> To sum it up, choice of language is just as important as the choice of the
> programmer.

This sure is a better topic to discuss! :-)
Looks like my wife won't move over to Macs or any other o/s ...
she likes BridgeZone and it requires windows...
But I won't buy her anything with ME on it, so I'll need win2k on a
decent machine at a low cost. She almost went to the Mac or SunBlade but
when I went to BridgeZone under Solaris it refused to let me in.... said
I needed windows. :-(

From: T. R. Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:56:46 +0200

Margelefty wrote:
>Brock Hannibal wrote:

>> Now move along, before you
>> get laughed off of usenet.
>
>Hasn't happened yet but you're welcome to try.

And I quote Margelefty thusly:

"You can all burn in hell for all I care.   I'm unsubscribing from these
groups FOREVER!"

How's that problem with your compulsive lying coming along, Margelefty?

>Marg

T. R. Ellis

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:05:37 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> >
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > There is one reason to choose C over C++.
> > > You can use C functions with *everything*, there isn't a language that
> > > doesn't have C binding.
> > > There are plenty that doesn't have C++ binding.
> > >

> > Yeah, but why not put those C-functions into a module and call them from
> > your C++? That way you can have both.
> >
> > Peter
>
> As an aside... I was trying to use the throw statement in g++.
> It compiled correctly, but it didn't work... just got a core dump.
> I wasn't able to find any references to g++ throw at the website either.
> Any ideas?

Probably because you didn't have an appropriate "catch" routine.

      1 #include <stdio.h>
      2
      3 void function()
      4 {
      5         throw(0);
      6 }
      7
      8 main()
      9 {
     10         try
     11         {
     12                 function();
     13                 printf("return normally\n");
     14         }
     15         catch (...)
     16         {
     17                 printf("Exception\n");
     18         }
     19 }

------------------------------

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:40:07 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6174/com_lite.htm
> > >
> > > Just to note, I did 8 myself. The keyboard is just as good as ever.
> > > But *damn* was it dirty.
> > >
> > > 6 & 9 & 11 are even more hilarious than the rest.
> >
> > The irony about this sort of thing is, as the UI wonks debate what *is*
> > intuitive, they fail to realize that a computer simply is *not* intuitive.
>
> <snip>
>
> Well, this guy should know more about this than I do.
> http://www.asktog.com/columns/006intuitvsfamiliar.html
>
> And here is just something to heat the discussion:
> http://www.asktog.com/columns/002advicetoapple.html
>
> > A computer can not be as easy to use as a Microwave, unless of course, it
> is a
> > Microwave.
>
> I agree with you, a computer is a general purpose machine, as such, it's
> naturally more complex than a single purpose machine.

That's why I love linux. It doesn't pretend to be as easy as a toilet. I
especially like the style of the documentation. For me, it is the
intuitive approach "at second glance".

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:10:13 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > > I like SANE people.  Most black people I know are sane (unlike you).
> > > Gays are suicidal, which is not sane.
> >
> > Actually you may be right there. Young gay men are having unprotected
> > sex at an extremely high and foolish rate, which is suicide. But it
> > doesn't have to be that way.
>
> However, unfortunately, in the US, they simply try to apply the same logic
> from hetrosexual sex education and information to the gay community. Here in
> New Zealand, the government gives money to the gay community organisation in
> charge of sex education and information, and since then, the number of
> aids/hiv cases has gone down dramatically, simply by listening to the
> targeted group, rather than trying to use cheap generalisations to create a
> framework.  Europe is another example of governments addressing the issue
> instead of ducking the issue, as the US has done for the last 15 years
> because it doesn't win votes.
>
> Regarding Aarons comment, "Gays are suicidal", that is correct, they have a
> higher rate of depression due to people like Aaron making sweaping
> generalisations and prejudice in the work force and in the community.  I
> have, on several occasions helped people in that position (nearing suicide),
> and unlike Aaron, I don't need to be prejudice to prove that I am
> hetrosexual.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

I'm not trying to prove anything.  I'm just goddamned sick and tired of
every loser in this country fucking up their life....all on their own,
and then whining and whining until the fool assholes in Congress say,
"There, there....have some of the TAXPAYER'S MONEY...", taking even
more out of my pocket.

Enough of this nonsense.

Screw them.  In this day and age, if you have AIDS, you're an idiot,
and should be just lined up against the wall and shot, just on principle,
for being such a fucking dumbass.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.