From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:02:01 +0100

> char *function(char *str)
> {
>       int len = strlen(str)*2+1; char p[len]; char *pT = p; while(*str)
>       {
>               switch(*str)
>               {
>                       case '@': case '\'':
>                               *pT++='@';
>                               *pT++=*str++;
>                               break;
>                       default:
>                               *pT++=*str++;
>                               break;
>
>               }
>       }
>       return strdup(p);
> }

Generally you should avoid compiler specific stuff if you want
portability. Fortunately this is part of the C99 standard, so soon all
compilers should support it.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:54:59 +0200

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> Most all medical programs in Eurpoe are a complete disaster.

The german system is OK for me after all.

> Without the USA, mother Russia would have gobbled up most all of
> Europe long ago.

Don't overestimate her for she is drunk and schizo.
(That was a bit of a bad joke, actually. But...)

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:08:18 +0100

mlw wrote:
> Perl, Java, and the like are the equivalent of programming for dummies. They
> are languages with training wheels. The kiddie coaster of programming. The
> sandbox, if you will, in which newbe programmers play until they want learn how
> to be real software engineers.

This is an utterly stupid argument. That is why we have so much crap
unreliable software out there. Grow up!

You are not clever because you understand pointer arithmetic or can
remember to de-allocate memory. This is like the assembler/c debates.
sad really.

Most of the clever "real software engineers" relaise that what you are
saying is rubbish.

> I know that is an outrageous opinion, and it is extreme for the effect, but it
> has elements of truth. One can not write a device driver in perl. The JVM can
> not directly access I/O ports. These are examples of what software engineers
> should understand.

Please explain - can you say JNI ? Or are you speaking from a point of
knowledge or preconception ?

> Try writing a file compression utility in java. Now write that same utility in
> C or C++ using all the nice features that C and C++ have. The function
> mmap(...) can make the whole compression chore as easy as rifling through a
> buffer. There is no comparison, the C or C++ code can be so much fatser and
> require fewer resources, than the equivilent in Java or perl.

Really? Try looking in the Java API - there is already one there so you
don't need to waste your time. If you choose to waste your time you will
find the performance near C for these type of non-gui operations. Also
if you need to you can call nmap() you can (if you really want to
sacrifice portability for performance). But then again, you can live in
denial if you want to, that's up to you.

> Why would one use Java? Why perl?

Because people are clever.

Why not just stick to flipping switches to get your binaries in the pc ?
What - you are not "clever" enough to do this ? Dear me, go figure.

Arguments and attitudes like this make me SO sad and MAD, and reminds me
that software engineers need to GROW UP in their attitudes and take a
cold hard look at what they do and WHY they do it. Insulting two main
stream capable languages is not a good start to this process. As a C
coder and a Java coder - I know which in the language I prefer. It's
actually a no-brainer. But then again, I've invested some time actually
learning all this stuff to be able to draw a sensible conclusion for
which tool is appropriate for which task and then using that tool to
best effect.

There is no one good universal language - face it.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:06:52 +0100

>>David Brown wrote:
>>> Where would you be without your TV and your Cola, your antibiotics and
>>> your steam engine?  All are Scottish inventions, but I could hardly
>>> claim that Scotland is a "better" country than the US because of it.
>>> Nor could I claim it as a personal achievement, as you seem to.
>>
>>Keep dreaming.... without Tesla none of these electronic marvels would
>>have happened.
>
> Electric steam engines? Nice one!

You can laugh but...

I have one of those little model steam engines that's powered with solid
fuel blocks. You can buy ones with electric water heaters instead.

-Ed

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:11:46 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:
> > Perl, Java, and the like are the equivalent of programming for dummies.
> > They are languages with training wheels. The kiddie coaster of
> > programming. The sandbox, if you will, in which newbe programmers play
> > until they want learn how to be real software engineers.
>
> I generally agree with a lot of what you say, but HLLs do have their
> uses. I write most of my short disposable programs in AWK because for
> quite a lot of things its easier and quicker to write them in AWK than C.
> For anything big I'd use C.

Well, spend you time making silly mistakes and tracking down your
allocation, and I'll be programming a System that just "works". Choice
is yours. I know which route I would use unless the "task" calls for
something where it is not appropriate.

Funny, but I also take the same attitude to Linux and Windows.

------------------------------

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:04:25 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > The first thing that Americans are proud of is their proper use of the
> > word 'there'.  The second thing that we Americans are proud of is both
>
> Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.
>
> > our level of education and the fact that we pay for our own education.
>
> Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.
>
> > Americans learn a sense of  accomplishment and independence at an early
> > age.
>
> Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
> independence?

I paid for my college education but even for those who have had their
parents pay for their college education the point being that in either
case a college education was accomplished independent of the government.

> > Unlike your country, we Americans do not feel the need to have our
> > government take the majority of our income and then dole it back out to
> > us as seen fit.
>
> maximum of 40% is not a majority.

Ahhh... that's 40% of your paycheck only.  Now factor in sales tax and
specifically the outrageous petro tax and it becomes a majority of your
paycheck going to the government.

> > Most all medical programs in Eurpoe are a complete disaster.   The NHS
> > in the UK should be disbanded immediately.
>
> Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
> disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
> something we should be proud of.

You may like the NHS but the potential pool of doctors in the UK is
drying up fast due to poor pay, outdated equipment, and poor service.
I know for a fact that the NHS just recently was denying patients
any dental work which involved braces.  Cancer treatment through the
NHS is a foolish gamble at best and most UK citizens opt to pay for the
treatment in another country because of the limited choices of treatment
provided by the NHS.

The NHS provides the same level of medical service that a welfare recepient
in the US recieves.

> > Nowhere in the world does an individual have a greater chance of success
> > building a small business than in the USA.  No other nation on Earth
> > puts more money into research and development than the USA.
>
> Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?

Errrr.. yeah... I have a lot of evidence of this - I offer as evidence
the United States of America (more venture capital, more R&D dollars, and
the least amount of red tape and government intrusion for starting a business
than anywhere in the world).  in other words, the USA *is* the evidence!

> > Without the USA, mother Russia would have gobbled up most all of Europe
> > long ago.
>
> Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> free" long ago.

I must have missed that novel piece of history.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:18:24 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > char *function(char *str)
> > {
> >       int len = strlen(str)*2+1; char p[len]; char *pT = p; while(*str)
> >       {
> >               switch(*str)
> >               {
> >                       case '@': case '\'':
> >                               *pT++='@';
> >                               *pT++=*str++;
> >                               break;
> >                       default:
> >                               *pT++=*str++;
> >                               break;
> >
> >               }
> >       }
> >       return strdup(p);
> > }
>
> Generally you should avoid compiler specific stuff if you want
> portability. Fortunately this is part of the C99 standard, so soon all
> compilers should support it.

That is a bit of a joke if you agree with mlw about using nmap for
"performance" above those other nasty portable languages. Besides I
thought it was still C99 standard? But compilers don't support this
shamdard ? (btw - notice the Java like additions in C99?)

If you are going to code for speed - then CODE FOR SPEED. You'll use
system calls and native library calls which will all need changing
anyway. I know from painful experience. So why not throw in specific
compiler optimisations while we are at it and stop pretending to write
portable code?

pip
(<rant mode activated>)

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:20:39 +0100

mlw wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> > > Yeah, but why not put those C-functions into a module and call them from
> > > your C++? That way you can have both.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > As an aside... I was trying to use the throw statement in g++.
> > It compiled correctly, but it didn't work... just got a core dump.
> > I wasn't able to find any references to g++ throw at the website either.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Probably because you didn't have an appropriate "catch" routine.

Oh dear - the compiler did not catch this simple error ? Those "toy"
languages can. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Core dump ? Oh dear.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:20:13 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here we go again!

Dave Martel wrote:

> Battle brews over Linux server share
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2772060,00.html
>
> A study shows linux actually has only 10% of the server market, in
> contrast to IDC's figures which show it with 27%.
>
> Surprise! Microsoft just happens to be one of the study's sponsors!
>
> Bet you couldn't have guessed that. <g>

It must be because the one Unix machine is doing half the work and the
20 M$ servers are doing the other half.

Seriously, it would interesting to know what sort of companies they
polled.  Considering M$s involment in this survey, perhaps M$ supplied
the list of companies (customers) preferred for polling.  The companies
were probably those whose server needs were mostly just file/printer
services for Windows 98 workgroups.  No ISPs or big engineering firms
need apply.

IanP

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:44:44 -0400

pip wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> > Perl, Java, and the like are the equivalent of programming for dummies. They
> > are languages with training wheels. The kiddie coaster of programming. The
> > sandbox, if you will, in which newbe programmers play until they want learn how
> > to be real software engineers.
>
> This is an utterly stupid argument. That is why we have so much crap
> unreliable software out there. Grow up!
>
> You are not clever because you understand pointer arithmetic or can
> remember to de-allocate memory. This is like the assembler/c debates.
> sad really.

It is the same argument, with one difference. C is more like a portable
assembler.

> Most of the clever "real software engineers" relaise that what you are
> saying is rubbish.

I don't think so. I know a lot of people who want to use Java instead of C, but
to be honest, I have yet to meet one Java proponent that understands anything
about how computers really work. IMHO that is what is wrong with "Computer
Science" courses these days. They do not spend enough time on the actual
computer. Like it or not, the computer is what you are programming.

> > I know that is an outrageous opinion, and it is extreme for the effect, but it
> > has elements of truth. One can not write a device driver in perl. The JVM can
> > not directly access I/O ports. These are examples of what software engineers
> > should understand.
>
> Please explain - can you say JNI ? Or are you speaking from a point of
> knowledge or preconception ?

JNI just drops you down into C, so no, you can't do these things in Java.

> > Try writing a file compression utility in java. Now write that same utility in
> > C or C++ using all the nice features that C and C++ have. The function
> > mmap(...) can make the whole compression chore as easy as rifling through a
> > buffer. There is no comparison, the C or C++ code can be so much fatser and
> > require fewer resources, than the equivilent in Java or perl.
>
> Really? Try looking in the Java API - there is already one there so you
> don't need to waste your time. If you choose to waste your time you will
> find the performance near C for these type of non-gui operations. Also
> if you need to you can call nmap() you can (if you really want to
> sacrifice portability for performance). But then again, you can live in
> denial if you want to, that's up to you.

I don' know what kind of software you write for a living, but every last bit
helps. If you have competition who has better performence than you, then you
must make the adjustments to compete or you go out of business.

Java and Perl are for wannabe programmers who do business forms and web pages.
C and C++, and yes, even assembly, are tools of software engineers that produce
product. Product which must compete with other product. People forget, software
is not developed in a vacuum, it has competition. If it isn't as fast or as
efficient as it can be, someone else will come along and take your customers.

Would you bet your company, writing its product in Java, and hope that someone
does not come along and write a hard core native product in C or C++ and blow
you out of the water?

> > Why would one use Java? Why perl?
>
> Because people are clever.

Mostly lazy.

> Why not just stick to flipping switches to get your binaries in the pc ?
> What - you are not "clever" enough to do this ? Dear me, go figure.
>
> Arguments and attitudes like this make me SO sad and MAD, and reminds me
> that software engineers need to GROW UP in their attitudes and take a
> cold hard look at what they do and WHY they do it. Insulting two main
> stream capable languages is not a good start to this process. As a C
> coder and a Java coder - I know which in the language I prefer. It's
> actually a no-brainer. But then again, I've invested some time actually
> learning all this stuff to be able to draw a sensible conclusion for
> which tool is appropriate for which task and then using that tool to
> best effect.
>
> There is no one good universal language - face it.

You should grow up. You write software to do something. Most of the time you
want it to sell, or succeed. A perl or java based program is no competition to
a C or C++ based one. Darwin wins, you lose. The C or C++ based one will win.
It will feel faster, be lighter, and take up less disk space, and probably be
easier to install.

I have invested the time to learn Java, inside and out. Its cute for web pages,
but I can't see any real benefit to using it. I wrote an interface to a
graphics library for Solaris and Windows, Microsoft VM and Sun VM. It was
painful. Java is a nice way for someone to waste a few years of their life.

If it is silly little script, who cares, but applications, people complain
about code bloat all the time. Java is but one cause of code bloat.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:43:37 GMT

pip wrote:

> Vilmos Soti wrote:
> >
> > somebody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Has anyone else read the latest issue of Linux Magazine? There
> > > is an interview of Dennis Ritchie complete with several photos
> > > of him sitting behind his desk at bell labs.
> > >
> > > his monitor is clearly visible-- very obviously and very ironically
> > > running ms-windows!  LOL, i had to laugh!
> >
> > IIRC this is a company policy to use Windows. Not his choice.
>
> What a load of crap.
>
> If the inventor of Unix and C wants a computer with Linux on it : HE
> GETS IT!
>
> If he says "jump", they write a paper on how high the jump should be.
>
> He is a pragmatic guy, they are the type that do great things as he has
> done.

Maybe he's now in his dotage.

--
Thanks for reading my message.  Please pay up.  My rates are:
US $0.35 for humorous posting.  US $0.55 for trolling in Windows newsgroups.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:49:42 GMT

"Christopher L. Estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:pOfV6.71902$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:7zST6.66643$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > This seems rather weird to me. If Symatec thought
> > highly enough of delegates to build WFC on them,
> > why not support them in their own JVM?
> >
> > Perhaps MS insisted.
>
> Microsoft *couldn't*.

Couldn't what? Couldn't insist? Why not?

>  Symantec and Microsoft *jointly* own the major code
> in the Windows Foundation Classes (and the Microsoft Foundation Classes
from
> which they sprung).

WFC is definitely not "sprung" from MFC. They are
very different. Fortunately. :D

>  Also, witness the fact that Visual Cafe, Symantec's
> Java development toolset, supported MFC (in fact, it supported MFC before
> Microsoft's own Visual J++ did) in addition to JavaBeans

You must mean WFC rather than MFC here. I thought
that only MS tools supported delegates. Is this mistaken?

[snip]
> > Were any of them dumb enough to actualy use it? :D
> >
> > I know Borland came up with their own thing, at least.
>
> Borland also licensed MFC (for both Delphi and Visual dBase).

What do you mean by this?

> You could go
> in either direction (decidedly so in Delphi; I built both MFC-based and
> non-MFC based databases entirely in Delphi).

What's an "MFC based" dataabase? Do you mean that
you accessed a database using CRecordset et al?

If you did, it wasn't entirely in Delphi, but
there are some bits of MFC that you could
cull out and use with Delphi, if you wanted
to.

Personally, I wonder why you'd want to! :D

[snip]
> > I am having difficulty thinking of a development tools
> > vendor that does not do that. Though most don't promote
> > BASIC. :D
>
> For a long time, Sybase didn't promote C++ (and it largely still doesn't
> today, though it acquired Powersoft, who had the long-acknowledged king of
> the non-MS C++ compilers, Watcom C++, in its arsenal).
> Exactly how much do you hear about Sybase and C++ today?

Not that much-  but I do hear a lot about Powersoft.

> (Powersoft and
> Watcom, which Powersoft bought in the early 1990s, are
> class-library-agnostic as companies, and licensed both ObjectWindows and
> MFC.)

I see.

> Watcom C++, even with MFC, was known for producing tighter code than
> Microsoft's own compiler.  (Even Microsoft doesn't dispute this.)

Do they admit it, or just ignore it?

Of course, there's no reason to expect MFC to have any
bearing on the code emitted by this or that compiler.

[snip]
> > I'm sure there were 16-bit versions of VB. Didn't
> > they predate 1995?
>
> Yes.  And by and large they *stunk*.

What, you don't like interpreters? :D

>  Worse, you could get decent C++
> compilers (not only Borland C++, but even the largely MFC-driven Watcom
C++)
> for less than VB cost.

"MFC-driven"? What do you mean?

> > I was under the impression that OCX controls
> > were an effort to 'clean up' VBX controls and make
> > them language-neutral and 32-bit compatible.
>
> The biggest use for OCXes is in connecting VB programs (and later, C++
> programs) to databases smaller than SQL Server or other similarly large
> databases without the need for still largely unwieldy ODBC drivers.

OCXs don't do this. You can write an OCX that accesses
a database for you, but it must access a database itself-
say, by using ODBC.

Things like ADO are not OCX controls.

> However, OCXes need not be written in a high-order language (I've written
> three myself entirely in Delphi, and other have written far more).

Delphi is not a language. It runs on two languages-
Object Pascal and C++ (w/ extensions). Both of these
are fairly high-order langauges, though it's true that
you don't need to use them to write OCXs, or to
use them.

I find it hard to believe that you could write OCXs and
still think that they provide database access without
ODBC (or some equivalent).

>  You can
> also write OCXes for SQL databases as well, but an OCX is even more
unwieldy
> for a SQL database than an ODBC driver is.

I was not aware of this. What SQL database supports OCXs?

MS SQL Server does *not*, so I wonder which
does, and what it does with them, if MS couldn't
think of anything to use them for.

[snip]
> > Mostly to keep all the goodies on your own platform,
> > I should think.
>
> However, you pointed out that MS *couldn't* handle more than a small
> fraction of the apps.

Yeah.

>  The rest of those applications needed to be
> developed, and also, for various reasons, needed non-MS development tools.

Did they? Why did they need them?

Certainly it's beneficial to MS if somebody comes along and
writes a better development tool for their platform, but
in the early days they could not count on it.

MS had to make it possible to produce Windows
software *without* outside help, way back
in the '80s.

> Hence the efforts of Watcom and Symantec (and later Sybase).

Well, MS development tools are not bastions of perfection;
by releasing crud like MFC and a C++ compiler that is
so weak, they have left some opportunities for other
vendors.

Personally, I don't think they meant to do that. :D

------------------------------

From: "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux user.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:52:53 GMT

"Chris Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well I finally got a copy of Redhat and an old PC to play with it.

[snipped ...]

> The main reason I tried again was this ng. If so many people can spend
> so long shouting at the top of their lungs, then I guess there must be
> something worth looking at. There was, and I'm having fun poking
> around.

Glad to hear you're having fun. That should always be the case. However,
cola being the main reason for trying linux again is a little chilling to
say the least. Do you go to church seeking salvation after hearing the
lunatic holding a bible on the street corner shouting at the top of _his_
lungs? Does the fact that the nutbag shouts make the message more
compelling?

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:52:10 +1200

jet, it's alright to laugh. Aaron may take offence, but thats his problem.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

news:9g44hd$8fu0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:57:52 +0100

mlw wrote:
> I have invested the time to learn Java, inside and out. Its cute for web pages,
> but I can't see any real benefit to using it. I wrote an interface to a
> graphics library for Solaris and Windows, Microsoft VM and Sun VM. It was
> painful. Java is a nice way for someone to waste a few years of their life.

For someone who knows it inside out your points show a different story.

Good luck. Hope you have Electric Fence installed.