Linux-Advocacy Digest #153, Volume #35           Tue, 12 Jun 01 08:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals (drsquare)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (drsquare)
  Re: More funny stuff. (drsquare)
  Re: The Microsoft PATH. (drsquare)
  Re: EXCELLENT NEW WEB BOARD!! CHECK IT OUT :) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:53:24 +1200

Nutshell: Personal Responsibility.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

> > > Actually you may be right there. Young gay men are having unprotected
> > > sex at an extremely high and foolish rate, which is suicide. But it
> > > doesn't have to be that way.
> >
> > However, unfortunately, in the US, they simply try to apply the same
logic
> > from hetrosexual sex education and information to the gay community.
Here in

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:58:28 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:GIgV6.11898$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[snip]
> I don't think Watcom was compatible with MFC, since it required a few
> extensions which Watcom didn't support.  Powersoft also had their own
class
> library, which they shipped with Optima++, their C++ based RAD
environment.

Just to quible- MFC does not need any language
extensions. It *does* need some rudimentary template
support, plus exceptions, so maybe Watcom gets tripped
up there.

But from what I see on the web, Watcom C++ can
compile MFC. I should really hope so- MFC is about
as undemanding as they come. That's one of its good
points, really.

[snip]
> Actually, no.  The largest use of OCX's is in custom controls.  Calendar
> controls, grids (yes, they do offer database connectivity, but the control
> itself is used much more often without).

I suspect the calendar grids offer that data-binding
trick OCXs do. That's not database access; another
object has to do the database access, so that the calendar
can display it.

VB includes objects than can do this, but I don't think
they are OCXs.

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:38 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:32:12 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>C'mon, grow up!  This is the 21st century.  He wasn't even in existence
>>>back then.
>>>Stereotyping solves nothing.
>>
>> I was only having a laugh.
>>

>I did not find it *that* funny.

Oh come on, cheer up! Save being miserable for when England hammer you
in September.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:39 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:41:06 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>80-90%, I would say.
>>
>> Out of all the computers I've seen, around 0-0% have DVD drives.
>>

>In germany I would guess about half of all new computers sold have a
>DVD-drive built in. Give ore take a few percent.

NEW computers? And how many people's computers are brand new?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:40 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:34:19 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >80-90%, I would say.
>>
>> Out of all the computers I've seen, around 0-0% have DVD drives.
>
>It's already established that you don't see many computers.

I see very many.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:40 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:18:02 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:51:03 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >C'mon, grow up!  This is the 21st century.  He wasn't even in existence
>> >back then.
>> >Stereotyping solves nothing.
>>
>> I was only having a laugh.
>
>Strange sense of humour.

Oh come on, you're all so miserable round here.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:41 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:32:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Lots of webs sites do use them, and quite
>> >successfully. What's the problem with them?
>>
>> Successfully?
>
>Sure.

Give me some URLs.

>> >They do provide the control that HTML patently
>> >does not.
>>
>> From what I've seen of PDF, it is nowhere near as good as HTML.
>
>It is not for the same task. PDF was designed to
>give you control; HTML is all about letting
>the browser decide how to present your
>info.
>
>It sounds very much like for what you want
>to do, PDF is a better solution.

In that case, why does nearly every site use PDF?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:42 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:04:27 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Cannot ANY form of intercourse spread disease?
>
>Yes.  However, are all diseases equally communicable and equally deathly?
>
>a) yes
>B) NO.

Is that relevant?

>>  Or have health care
>> proffesionals simply been lying to us?
>
>No...but a lot of homosexual ACTIVISTS have been.

No, but a lot of right-wing bigots like Aaron have been.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:43 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:10:53 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > You're right.  It's much worse.
>> >
>> For 10 minutes could you stop being retarded, and explain in RATIONAL
>> TERMS wht is wrong with homosexuality?
>
>What part of  AIDS, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Kaposi's Sarcoma  do you not
>understand?

That part that they're equally transferrable through homosexual and
heterosexual sex.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:44 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:14:47 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> > When two adults spread communicable diseases like Hepatitis and Tuberculosis,
>> > it is a matter of PUBLIC HEALTH and is EVERYBODY's business.
>> >
>> EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT THE FUCK SEXUALITY HAS TO DO WITH T.B.?
>
>Regardless of whether it's explained or not, gays have an astronomical rate
>of TB infection compared to the the heterosexual population.

Statistics?

>In fact, it's usually one of the first SYMPTOMS of AIDS.

Evidence?

>> AND I WANT TO SEE A CAUSAL CORRELATION HERE.
>
>Almost 100% of the population (including gays) have been innoculated
>for TB.  When gays catch AIDS, many don't know it until they catch TB...
>of course...first, during the incubatory period, they go around spreading
>it all over the place....
>
>And the latest strains of TB are very anti-biotic resistant.
>
>These people are walking epidemics.

I've got a growing suspicion that you don't know what the fuck you're
talking about.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:44 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:35:34 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Jet wrote:

>>                                It also seems they tend to hate people
>> they view as getting sex when they are not, such as gay men and
>> blacks.
>
>I like SANE people.  Most black people I know are sane (unlike you).
>Gays are suicidal, which is not sane.

"Gays are suicidal"? That one has to go into the Big Book of Klassic
Kuntis Quotes. You get more idiotic by the day. It must the AIDS
kicking in...

>> Look how irrational he is! He wants to make what gays do everybody's
>> business because of AIDS, but doesn't seem to care about diseases
>> spread mainly by heterosexual contact.
>
>which DEADLY, INCURABLE diseases are spread by heterosexual contact?

HIV? Hepatitus?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:46 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:10:13 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>I'm not trying to prove anything.  I'm just goddamned sick and tired of
>every loser in this country fucking up their life....all on their own,
>and then whining and whining until the fool assholes in Congress say,
>"There, there....have some of the TAXPAYER'S MONEY...", taking even
>more out of my pocket.
>
>Enough of this nonsense.
>
>Screw them.  In this day and age, if you have AIDS, you're an idiot,
>and should be just lined up against the wall and shot, just on principle,
>for being such a fucking dumbass.

You really have lost it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:47 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:45:36 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Ed Cogburn wrote:

>> > which DEADLY, INCURABLE diseases are spread by heterosexual contact?
>>
>> Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
>
>Not for men.

Yep, you've confirmed it. You really DON'T know what you're talking
about.

>> Aaron, you ignorant and sad excuse for a human being, I told you before
>> when you were on one of your rants that the population of Zimbabwe is
>> being decimated by AIDS, as well as other areas in Africa, and the
>> transmission is exclusively HETEROSEXUAL.  They have orphanages full of
>> orphans who have lost their parents to AIDS, and many of them have
>> gotten AIDS too, from their mother.
>
>And this is pertinent to North America how, exactly?

Who mentioned North America?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:48 +0100

 On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:59 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >[4] First man on the moon.
>>
>> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
>> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
>> to death across the world...
>
>Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?

Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
send pieces of metal into space for fun.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:48 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:57:39 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>> >[4] First man on the moon.
>>
>> Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
>> large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
>> to death across the world...
>>

>scooter, that starving is going on in your Euro backyard, along with
>some genocide but you don't seem too bothered by it.  You also never seemed
>too bothered that your eastern euro brothers have lived for decades under
>brutal regimes while you lavished in a western europe lifestyle.
>
>Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
>to do a damn thing about it.

Actually, we have.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:49 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:42:05 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Why would one use Java? Why perl?

Why use Perl? Becaues it is so useful and great. For instance, would
you rather write a CGI program in perl or C? Perl, of course. You'd be
there for weeks with C. Things that take one line of code in Perl
would take a couple of pages in C.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:50 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:59:46 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Linux advocates told me that Linux with X would run fine on a 486, with
>16MB
>> >memory so I tried it.  It didn't.
>>
>> I hardly think it's Linux's fault that you don't know what you're
>> doing.
>
>I got it installed, and  configured X - I hardly think that classes as
>"don't know what you're doing"

I thought you said you couldn't get it working properly.

>> >It ran fine with no X loaded.
>>
>> Why would you want to load X anyway?
>
>Everyone kept saying how good the Window Managers were.  It was an
>experimental box.  Why wouldn't I want to load X - should I check Linux out
>without checking things that are available.  Here's a new one for the
>Linvocates - why would you want to load X anyway?  That really fucks Joe
>User.

Who really gives a fuck about him?

>Are you saying I shouldn't use X, even though it's flexibility and
>customisability and usuability make it far superior to Windows? (sarcasm)

No, I'm saying you should use bash.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:51 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:41:04 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Christopher L. Estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Well, you must have done something severely wrong. Whenever I set X
>> up, it installs and configures all by itself, no drivers needed.
>> Windows on the other hand requires delving into the big pile of
>> floppies looking for obscurely placed drivers just to get out of
>> 640x480 mode.
>
>What version of Windows (and what hardware) forced you into that sort of
>grief?

98SE

>Since Windows 95, I have *once* had to download new video drivers for a
>particular video card I've owned (ATI Rage for Windows NT 4) and *those*
>were included with Service Pack 4.
>
>With *every* version of Windows since, the drivers were either included with
>the OS, or included with the hardware.

Yeah, but if you've lost your disk...

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:52 +0100

On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:42:17 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >What is the spec?
>>
>> 16MB RAM, 200Mhz processor, 1GB hard disk.
>
>Sorry, that isn't a 5 years old standard computer.

No, it's newer.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:53 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:32:20 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > So Aaron, how does Dubya's semen taste?
>>
>> You tell us.
>
>Aaron to normal person translation:
>
>You tell us ---> "Rather salty, anyone else tried?"

Fucking hell, I'm trying to have my dinner here!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:53 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:06:47 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Matthew Gardiner wrote:

>> > Untrue - prove your claim!
>>
>> I've never used Encarta, I prefer sticking to the dead wood on my shelf, you
>> know, books.
>>
>> Matthew Gardiner
>
>Besides, if I want to look up info I've got the internet to search.

Yeah, but it's a lot easier and more trustable on a CD or something.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:54 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:41:21 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/30/index.html BOFH, home grown humour
>in godzone (aka New Zealand).

Now that's what you call funny.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Microsoft PATH.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:54 +0100

On 12 Jun 2001 00:58:00 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)) wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:12:22 GMT, webgiant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I still have old DOS floppies lying around someplace.  Heck, I still
>> create MSDOS6.22 boot disks for older DOS games.
>>
>> Frankly, I wish the Linux community had also had a period without a
>> GUI.  There'd be more console-only software and games for starters,
>
>We use the cli daily, there are lots of games and apps for the console,
>someyou will *never* see under Windos.

Unless it's open source of course.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXCELLENT NEW WEB BOARD!! CHECK IT OUT :)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:55 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 03:17:38 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("CEREBRAL ASSASSIN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

Where? What sort of idiot spammer doesn't even include a URL to the
site he's spamming for?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:04:55 +0100

On 12 Jun 2001 10:41:55 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
>>wrote:
>
>>>Some other countries might.  It is not clear, for instance, whether
>>>Cuba has such.
>>
>>But most other developed countries have more relaxed laws than
>>America. For instance, in most countries you can look at a woman
>>without being sued for sexual harassment.
>
>Not to mention most civilised countries allow 19 year old adults to drink
>margaritas with their Mexican mush if they want to.

Never mind Bush, they may as well bring back Hitler and be done with
it.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:59:50 +1200

Don't you remember the big "multi-media" hype 6 years ago? That was the era
when the two big things were, SoundBlaster and CD-ROM's in PeeCees.  I stuck
to good old books, and I was able to cross reference more effectively than
using a glorified, "multi-media" encyclopedia's.  Maybe thats why the
standard of literacy in the developed world has been going down hill in the
last two decades.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death