From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: KDE and Gnome are totally 80s
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:38:29 +0000

It was the Fri, 08 Jun 2001 21:42:07 GMT...
...and Corpus Callosum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Why are KDE and Gnome both attempting to replicate Microsoft Windows
>  when technologies like XML and CORBA would make something so much
>  more elegant possible?
>
>  Why are they still coding user interfaces in C or C++ when XML would
>  be so much better?

Newsflash: Nearly all larger GNOME programs (and lots of the smaller
ones) contain a whopping lot of XML interface definitions. Look up
"libglade" one of these days.

mawa
--
Hartschalenkofferträger!
Vibrationsalarmierer!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Craig Gullixson)
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:08:15 +0000 (UTC)

GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Jon Johansan wrote:
>>
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:fbuU6.12567$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> unfortunately, runs

>> > About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
>> > moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
>> > it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
>> > if it went south.
>>
>> It's still in the works. There isn't an announcment because it's not done
>> yet.
>
>If there isn't an announcement of the move then how do you know?
>Have any inside info?

Hmmmm, so this is how urban legends are started .....

Craig A. Gullixson
Senior Research Associate               INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Solar Observatory/Sac. Peak    PHONE: (505) 434-7065
Sunspot, NM 88349 USA                   FAX: (505) 434-7029

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:14:38 +0100

>> > Perl, Java, and the like are the equivalent of programming for
>> > dummies. They are languages with training wheels. The kiddie coaster
>> > of programming. The sandbox, if you will, in which newbe programmers
>> > play until they want learn how to be real software engineers.
>>
>> I generally agree with a lot of what you say, but HLLs do have their
>> uses. I write most of my short disposable programs in AWK because for
>> quite a lot of things its easier and quicker to write them in AWK than
>> C. For anything big I'd use C.
>
> Well, spend you time making silly mistakes and tracking down your
> allocation, and I'll be programming a System that just "works". Choice
> is yours. I know which route I would use unless the "task" calls for
> something where it is not appropriate.

I've never really had a problem with allocation/deallocation, but I
learnt assembly before I lernt C, so...

Besides, you seem to be trashing my personal choice based on nothing more
than your personal choice. Use what works for you. I've never got on
really well with perl or java, but that could be something to do with the
kind of program I write.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:15:42 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:42:05 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >Why would one use Java? Why perl?
>>
>> Why use Perl? Becaues it is so useful and great. For instance, would
>> you rather write a CGI program in perl or C? Perl, of course. You'd be
>> there for weeks with C. Things that take one line of code in Perl would
>> take a couple of pages in C.
>
> Why bother being efficient when you can waste company time re-inventing
> the wheel ? Also you may miss out on some in-line assembler
> optimisations!

You seem to be against mlw for trashing the various HLLs for reasons that
you don't agree with, but you are doing exactly the same with C.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:16:29 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>> > Perl, Java, and the like are the equivalent of programming for
>> > dummies. They are languages with training wheels. The kiddie coaster
>> > of programming. The sandbox, if you will, in which newbe programmers
>> > play until they want learn how to be real software engineers.
>>
>> I generally agree with a lot of what you say, but HLLs do have their
>> uses. I write most of my short disposable programs in AWK because for
>> quite a lot of things its easier and quicker to write them in AWK than
>> C. For anything big I'd use C.
>
> Well, spend you time making silly mistakes and tracking down your
> allocation, and I'll be programming a System that just "works". Choice
> is yours. I know which route I would use unless the "task" calls for
> something where it is not appropriate.

You also may have noticed that C is not the only langauge I ever program
in. (Hint look at my sig).

-Ed

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:49:05 -0700

GreyCloud wrote:

> Michael Vester wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:

>runs

> > > Highly unlikely that any stock exchange is using micros or microsoft
> > > products to run the core of operations. These are done with
> > > mainframes... goto comp.os.vm or comp.os.vms and ask the question.
> > >
> > > --
> > Exactly. There are many applications out there that can't be run on a
> > microcomputer platform.  Our local municipal government still runs a
> > Unisys system for tax assessment. IBM tried for 10 years to move it over
> > to an IBM mainframe platform. They failed. Now they are trying to move it
> > to a losedos/Oracle platform. I don't think they will be any more
> > successful.
> >

> hehehe... I our city moved over to win2k and oracle to maintain records
> of traffic violations.  Then one day ol' Barney Fife caught me doing 38
> in 35 mph zone and gave me a ticket... I waited and watched the
> newspaper for any down time... sure enough they went down... I trekked
> on down to the courthouse to see if I had any moving violations on file
> and they said 'nope'.  Sometimes it pays to have Win2k in government.
> :-))
Maybe this is a good thing. There must be some way to use the failure of a
losedos/Oracle tax assessment system so that I don't have to pay my
property taxes.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:21:55 +0100

>> Generally you should avoid compiler specific stuff if you want
>> portability. Fortunately this is part of the C99 standard, so soon all
>> compilers should support it.
>
> That is a bit of a joke if you agree with mlw about using nmap for
> "performance" above those other nasty portable languages.

I think you missed the jist of my post.

> Besides I
> thought it was still C99 standard? But compilers don't support this
> shamdard ? (btw - notice the Java like additions in C99?)

Well, guess what, genuis, if I write a program in the lovely portable
perl, an old system with an old version on it won't run the program.
guess perl must be really crap then.

Basically, what I'm saying is that your point of view here is a bit on
the biased side.

> If you are going to code for speed - then CODE FOR SPEED. You'll use
> system calls and native library calls which will all need changing
> anyway. I know from painful experience. So why not throw in specific
> compiler optimisations while we are at it and stop pretending to write
> portable code?

I generally write pretty portable code. I generally try it on several
compilers. I got one program to compile on Linux, DUX, Solaris and Irix
without any compiler specific #defines. It wasn't a vast program, but it
wasn't trivial, either.

I don't know abotu the others: I haven't tried them that much.

Just don't forget that no code is completely protable, whatever language
you write it in, there will be some bozo with an old/broken
compiler/interpreter/whatever.

-Ed

From: Rex Ballard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:22:33 GMT

==============E97F889195530087CF327F1A

I'd have to nominate Drestin Black.

While Drestin doesn't actually work for Microsoft his livelihood
depends
on their continued success.  He has a solid knowledge of Windows, and
unlike
many WinTrolls, he has actually taken the time to successfully set up
several
Linux systems (including Red Hat, SuSE, Corel, and Caldera).

I rarely agree with what he has to say, but he researches his facts
well
and is more than happy to provide interesting references.

Dialogues with Drestin are always stimulating.  He challenges the
Linux community,
and the Linux community rises to the challenge.

Edward Rosten wrote:

> Not all windows advocates are bad.
>
> They are capable of reasoned, rational arguments (though you might not
> believe it with the amount of drivel coming out of people like Chad
> Myers).
>
> I think we should have a Wincvocate of the year nominated (it makes a
> change from nominating trolls).
>
> I would like to nominate Ayende Rahien. If all windows advocates were
> like this, this group would be a much better place. Heck, if all Linux
> advocates were like this, he group would be a better place.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> /d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
> r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
> d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

--
Rex Ballard
It Architect

begin:vcard
n:Ballard;Rex
tel;cell:973-723-4008
tel;work:973-723-4008
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:IBM Global Services;EAI National Practice
adr:;;491 Valley Rd;Gillette;NJ;07933-2111;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Cons IT Architect
fn:Rex Ballard
end:vcard

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 01:55:14 -0700

GreyCloud wrote:

> Jon Johansan wrote:
> >
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:fbuU6.12567$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > unfortunately, runs

> > > About a year ago it was still Unisys. Last year they announced they were
> > > moving to Win2K Datacenter. I'm not sure if they actually did it, or if
> > > it's complete yet or not, but I would imagine we would've heard about it
> > > if it went south.
> >
> > It's still in the works. There isn't an announcment because it's not done
> > yet.
>
> If there isn't an announcement of the move then how do you know?
> Have any inside info?

It is very wishful thinking on the Winvocates side. A peecee toy operating
system like losedos (or Windows 2000 for those that have not figured out
my sarcasm) cannot be used for a stock trading system. At 2 billion trades
a day, this is way beyond a toy operating system like losedos. Even if
they miraculously got losedos to trade, after a couple failures, NASDAQ
would lose all credibility and have to fold.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:28:55 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I generally agree with a lot of what you say, but HLLs do have their
> >> uses. I write most of my short disposable programs in AWK because for
> >> quite a lot of things its easier and quicker to write them in AWK than
> >> C. For anything big I'd use C.
> >
> > Well, spend you time making silly mistakes and tracking down your
> > allocation, and I'll be programming a System that just "works". Choice
> > is yours. I know which route I would use unless the "task" calls for
> > something where it is not appropriate.
>
> I've never really had a problem with allocation/deallocation, but I
> learnt assembly before I lernt C, so...

Hmmmmm. Must be just me then.

> Besides, you seem to be trashing my personal choice based on nothing more
> than your personal choice. Use what works for you. I've never got on
> really well with perl or java, but that could be something to do with the
> kind of program I write.

To be specific I am trashing your compliance with the "These are kiddy
languages for want-to-be programmers who know nothing about computers"
line of things. Personally I hate Perl and think it is the spawn of
Satan - but I would not venture to brand Perl programmers as unable to
be software engineers as mlm has done with complete disregard to sense,
good reason and respect for fellow professionals.

As you may have noticed in my other posts my personal choice depends on
the project : C or Java. I may venture into C++ when I have the time to
learn it properly (not just it's syntactic sugar). My personal choice
will be made for pragmatic reasons and technical reasons - not because
of some silly language war of words.

------------------------------

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:25:01 +0100

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> Thaddius Maximus wrote:
> >
> > Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> > > The german system is OK for me after all.
> > >

> > In the USA I can get all new porcelain teeth (20 USD) and
> > a hair transplant (20 USD) through my medical insurance
> > policy.  Can Europe beat that !!!  ;-)
>
> 1. <all new> porcelain teeth ( 1 or 2?)or <all your teeth> in shiny
> porcelaine?
> 2. You said "my medical insurance policy". How much do you pay per year?
> Or does your employer do?

I pay about 30 USD per month through my employer and if I get laid
off I have insurance for 6 months thereafter.

> > > Don't overestimate her for she is drunk and schizo.
> >
> > Very true, and at the same time, very scary...  What will
> > she do next???
>
> We'll see a bit of a bit of it, as always.
> But it's not that they are that hostile, what scares me most is how poor
> they are. And I know zero about their culture, black hole in my brains.
> As if there was just the nukes, rusting...

I feel sorry for the people of Russia.  Their government is
extremely corrupt and most of their big business is mafia
controlled.

I see civil war on their horizon...

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:28:03 +0100

In article <9g50j2$f0j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> + if you wanted to have an output of the sourcecode:
>
> load "program-name" [enter] list [enter]
>
> or to load the program and run it:
>
> chain "program-name" [enter]
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Deending on how lazy you were you might type (don't forget the case
sensitivity):

LO."progname"
L.

CH."progname"

-Ed

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:31:56 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:
> You also may have noticed that C is not the only langauge I ever program
> in. (Hint look at my sig).

EEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuwwwwww. You are one sick bunny sometimes Ed :)

[postscript]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 13 June 2001 GNUbies: Christopher Molnar on the
GNU/Linux Desktop
Date: 12 Jun 2001 11:29:33 -0400

  edit-level="light">

We are pleased to announce our new location and our June speaker.

We are thankful to IBM for generously offering us the use of a room in
their 590 Madison Avenue building (the meeting place for LXNY and NYLUG)
for our regular meetings the second Wednesday of each month.

Our first speaker in this new space, on June 13th, will be
Christopher Molnar who has been highly and repeatedly recommended to us as
an ideal speaker for our group by various people from Mandrake.  He will be
speaking on "The GNU/Linux Desktop" -- details and bio follow.

Christopher Molnar has been involved in open source and the free computing
environment for close to 10 years. His first major involvment in Linux came
when he started packaging KDE 2.0 alpha while he was still employeed by
Aetna, Inc. This caught the attention of Paris based MandrakeSoft - who
eventually convinced him to leave Aetna and work for them. In the last few
years he has worked for MandrakeSoft as a software developer/packager and
then as North American Training Coordinator. As the company began to
re-eveluate the potential for training programs in the U.S. Christopher
left Mandrake and is currently self-employeed as a Linux trainer and
consultant. Christopher is familiar with all areas of open software but his
love for Linux and the KDE desktop make him an expert in those areas. One
of the things he loves about speaking at user groups is the wide variety of
questions and problems he has the oppurtunity to help with. 'It is very
educational seeing what newbies are struggling with. I may not always know
the answers but if I don't I will try and get back to them with a correct
answer'. If there are any specific things you would like to hear about at
the meeting please drop an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and he will make
sure it is addressed.

As usual the meeting is free and open to the public and will start with
Q & A followed by the presentation as follows:

Wednesday June 13, 2001
6:30 Q&A
7:00 Christopher Molnar on The GNU/Linux Desktop
at the IBM building, 590 Madison Ave. (57th Street and Madison Avenue)

Please follow the link
http://www.eskimo.com/~lo/linux/JUNEmolnarattend.html
on our web page
(once) if you plan on attending.

We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Lyn Ohira
GNUbies
GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners in NYC
http://www.gnubies.org

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:35:49 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:
> Well, guess what, genuis, if I write a program in the lovely portable
> perl, an old system with an old version on it won't run the program.
> guess perl must be really crap then.
>
> Basically, what I'm saying is that your point of view here is a bit on
> the biased side.

I can't comment on Perl as I think it is deeply evil so my comments may
be irrational.

> Just don't forget that no code is completely protable, whatever language
> you write it in, there will be some bozo with an old/broken
> compiler/interpreter/whatever.

I agree. But it's all about reducing the effort needed to get it to work
and work well.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:33:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:28:02 +1200
<9g3k91$vsa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> > Why not talk about this?  We've already established that Windows is
>> > superior to Linux in every regard, right?
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> And whilst we're off topic, why not dip in to some
>> racism/nationalism/patriotism debates?
>>
>> -Ed
>
>I'd also like to go into a debate on whether colourful computers run faster
>than beige ones. That should get the Mac crowd going.

Could we throw in some nostalgia for the Amiga, Atari, and
other such computers as well? :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random orphan computer here
                    Are you watching TV, or is the TV watching you?