Linux-Advocacy Digest #163, Volume #35           Tue, 12 Jun 01 15:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux        starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Redhat video problems. (flatfish+++)
  Re: Here's a switch for a change (Eugenio Mastroviti)
  Re: Linux user. (Chris Street)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Windows makes good coasters ("Jon Johansan")

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:44 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:05:54 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9g48f9$cpk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> > Doesn't one of the latest incarnations have no command line at all?
>> >
>> > ME or XP or something?  How much more crippled can you get than that?
>>
>> ME, and it indeed sucks.
>> XP has much better CLI
>
>No, ME still ships with COMMAND.COM,
>same as always.

With command.com it may as well have no command line. Why doesn't it
come with that cmd.exe thing?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:45 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:08:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Sure.
>>
>> Give me some URLs.
>
>Hmm? You haven't noticed all the cites
>with the little "get Acrobat Reader free"
>badges on them?

Nope. Give me some URLs.

>> >It sounds very much like for what you want
>> >to do, PDF is a better solution.
>>
>> In that case, why does nearly every site use PDF?
>
>I thought you were just demanding links to
>prove than anybody was using PDF! Yeesh.

I meant HTML

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:46 +0100

On 12 Jun 2001 13:43:50 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)) wrote:

>Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
>>Hmm, yet another typical American Bigot.  No wonder shooting spree's
>>happen in the US with that sort of anti-social, bigotted belief system.
>>Maybe you, Flatfish, should buy a big cupboard and hide yourself in it
>>for ever, whilst the rest of the world moves forward without your
>>insecurities.
>>

>Sorry, I think you're in the wrong thread, the US vs Europe one is over
>there ...

Over where?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:46 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:32:26 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Nick Condon wrote:

>> The life expectancy of a man living in the EU is 74.4 years, and the infant
>> mortality rate is 476 per 100,000.
>>
>> Can the US beat that?
>> (Ans: No, your figures are 67.5 years, and 722 per 100,000)
>

>The US life expectancy for a male at birth is somewhere around
>73-74 years.

Unless they get caught up in a high school shooting, or they die of
cholesterol poisoning.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:47 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:49:14 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Thaddius Maximus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> The US life expectancy for a male at birth is somewhere around
>> 73-74 years.
>
>http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm
>(as of 1997)
>
>Average: 76.5
>
>Males: 73.6
>Females: 79.4

An American site presumably. What a reliable source.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:48 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:09:42 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >The US life expectancy for a male at birth is somewhere around
>> >73-74 years.
>>
>> That's the life expectancy for a *white* male at birth. So tell us, why so
>> many babies dying? Your rate is nearly twice ours.
>
>Because we have so many people killing them in the womb?

I take it you're against abortion?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:49 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:46:22 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>These specs don't mesh with what was available in the 200mhz era. Every ad I
>find in January 1997's Computer shopper has a mhz range of 133-200mhz and a
>hd offering of 2.x GB for low end pc's and 3.x GB for high end.

I got a computer with a 200mhx processor and a 1GB hard disk, no
matter what you might say.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:50 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:02:27 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:22:33 GMT, Rex Ballard
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Dialogues with Drestin are always stimulating.  He challenges the
>>Linux community,
>>and the Linux community rises to the challenge.
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>And then it's over in a minute and a half.

I bet your bitches would say the same thing.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
starts    getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:51 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:37:24 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Think about it. If the communists didn't
>sacrifice 20 million people against the Nazis and stop them dead on the
>eastern front, the Nazis would have overrun Europe with out much problem.
>You guys would have been next in the firing line. And there is a
>reasonable chance that the US would have been defeated by the Nazis, but
>we will never know that. Just thionk, you might owe all of your lives tio
>the commies.

Try telling THAT to Kuntis!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:51 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:48:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>As for the Japanese: quick, pick one: did you want hundreds of
>thousands of Japanese to die, or hundreds of thousands of Americans
>and millions of Japanese, and a long, protracted invasion which

There are many alternatives.

>probably would have bored to tears most of the Americans on the
>mainland and ultimately resulted in a Vietnam-like cessation?

Oh no, we don't want the Americans getting bored!

>Truman's decision was a very tough one, and he made it.  I'm not
>sure if there was a better one possible, unless the Japanese
>decided to surrender unilaterally without intervention, of course.
>At least they could save face this way by acknowledging that
>America had an obviously superior weapon, and backing off in
>light thereof.  And yes, there was light.  A lot of it.
>So much so that some people were no more than shadows on the
>nearest still-standing piece of rubble...

Including lots of innocent women and children. Like in Vietnam.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:52 +0100

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:06:13 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
>>their homes, and skinning them alive etc?
>>
>>>[2] Helped defeat the Nazis *and* the Japanese, more or less simultaneously.
>>
>>Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
>>their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
>>women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
>
>You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
>shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
>anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.

Yet you neglect to refute my statements. Now YOU'RE the one losing
credibility.

>Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
>obviously.

Yeah, one good thing is that it's thousands of miles away.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:24:23 -0500

"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:J%6V6.849$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <3b24ecd2$0$2600$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >thrown
> >>
> >> With content added, deleted, and modified per Microsoft's marketing
> >> agenda.
> >
> >Untrue - prove your claim!
>
> See the links I supplied.  Here's another example:
>
> http://www.ddj.com/articles/1998/9803/9803v/9803v.htm
>
> "According to The New Yorker, 'after Microsoft bought the Funk &
> Wagnalls encyclopedia and turned it into...Encarta...the entry on Bill
> Gates changed.'  The clause 'known as a tough competitor who seems to
> value winning in a competitive environment over money' was changed to
> read, 'known for his personal and corporate contributions to charity and
> educational organizations.'"

Gee, you don't think that perhaps after the purchase that Bill began to make
huge contributions to charity and education organizations and hence gained
some of his reputation (outside of computer geeks) for this?

AND so what? If YOU bought the encyclopedia britannica and it had your
picture next to "Wanker" you wouldn't _suggest_ they change it in a way that
doesn't actually alert some historical fact as opposed to some opinion? I
mean, what right does Funk & Wagnall have to publish their OPINION on Gates
in an Encyclopedia which is supposed to impart unbiased and true facts.

Then again - I don't see anything wrong with what was there originall. I
would LOVE to be known as a tough competitor who seems to value winning in a
competitive environment (anything bad with that? I think not) over money
(and that makes it even better - a guy who cares more for competition
instead of personal gain?). Damn, they should have left the original in
there, made him sound cooler than just another rich guy giving away tons of
cash money to the needy...

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:26:21 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 11 Jun 2001 11:10:02 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >thrown
> >>
> >> With content added, deleted, and modified per Microsoft's marketing
> >> agenda.
> >
> >Untrue - prove your claim!
>
> Prove they haven't.

that is an impossible request.

Person1: "The government is hiding UFO information."
Person2: "Untrue - prove your claim!"
Person1: "Prove they aren't."
Person2: "Um, how? How can you prove they aren't? Impossible."

Person 2 kills person1 to prevent stupidity from breeding.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:27:15 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 11 Jun 2001 11:09:04 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:wnSU6.759$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >> Wonderful.  We get 5 MS-controlled info and opinion pages about the
> >> company, surrounding a link to the company itself in the middle.
> >>
> >> It will be interesting to see what links MS ends up putting on a
> >> page about Linux.  Perhaps links to Mundie's speech about GPL being
> >> viral or to Balmer's speech calling Linux "a cancer"?
> >
> >Did you know that a simple meta command will disable the links?
> >Did you know that these links are off by default?
>
> I very much doubt that.

You can doubt all you'd like but those two lines remain FACTS. How do we
know? Download IE6 and see for yourself.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:27:29 -0500

"JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g3i9h$ugo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3b24ecd2$0$2600$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > thrown

> > > Untrue - prove your claim!
> >
> > I've never used Encarta, I prefer sticking to the dead wood on my shelf,
> you
> > know, books.
>
> Precisely! All multimedia encyclopedias are gimmicks. I didn't know they
> were even still in use. Maybe they've gotten better since the last time I
> saw one (Win95a era).

Like on-line documentation? Gimmicks I'm sure!

silly...

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:29:10 -0500

lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
contains no "live" data or links.
$damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated and
contains more diverse types of information?

there is a decision to be made here?

news:9g50b7$epq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:31:20 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:45:05 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, actually it was meant as sarcasm. Sorry it didn't come out that
>way, but I still doubt that flatty has tried those links, as most people
>posting reports on www.linux-laptops.net seem to get the TP 765something
>working just fine.
>Flatty's story just smells a little, well, *fishy* to me.

I found the link it is www.linux-laptop.net

Actually the TP 765 requires some tinkering with the Xconfig file
which is probably why the other distributions don't work correctly.

This is taken from the site you suggested:

http://www.multimania.com/norguet/thinkpad.html

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: Eugenio Mastroviti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:32:03 +0100

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <9fsk8g$385$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > > I'd like to have been there and heard the manager try to explain that
> > > not  only was his data permanently gone with no chance of compensation
> > > but he  couldn't have a refund on the software because he agreed to the
> > > no-refunds
> > >  clause in the EULA when he installed the product. - but he could have
> > > another copy of the same product in exchange.
> >
> > I don't believe you can waive your right to a refund in the UK, but I
> > might be wrong here.
>
> The EULA has a clause saying "this does not affect your statutory rights"
> I believe. One of those rights is along the lines "not fit for the
> purpose intended" or whatever. Though, how you might prove Windows 98 SE
> is "not fit" for the purpose intended I'm not sure.

Well, depending on how to look at it, it is a tautology (it's supposed
to be an OS, which it most evidently is not) or it is completely false
(it is obvious that you installed it to crash your system repeatedly,
and it does just that...)

Eugenio

Linux systems administrator
Happy Linux desktop user

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Subject: Re: Linux user.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:29:32 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:52:53 GMT, "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Chris Street" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Well I finally got a copy of Redhat and an old PC to play with it.
>
>[snipped ...]
>
>> The main reason I tried again was this ng. If so many people can spend
>> so long shouting at the top of their lungs, then I guess there must be
>> something worth looking at. There was, and I'm having fun poking
>> around.
>
>Glad to hear you're having fun. That should always be the case. However,
>cola being the main reason for trying linux again is a little chilling to
>say the least. Do you go to church seeking salvation after hearing the
>lunatic holding a bible on the street corner shouting at the top of _his_
>lungs? Does the fact that the nutbag shouts make the message more
>compelling?

No but enough people shouting about something will draw attention to
the fact that *something* is going on, at which point I can have a
look, dig up some more reasoned facts in my own time and do a spot or
research before deciding to dip my toes in the water.

Anyway there are two people in my church who stuck their heads round
the door because they heard a nutter shouting on the street corner.
Fortunatley the nutter wasn't from our church......!

79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The other 42% are made up later on.
In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:36:07 -0500

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan wrote:
> >
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fvkht$a69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9fvju8$k1u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > at
> > > around
> > long
> > >
> > > Actually, the reason I want net worth is to find things out about
other
> > > companies.
> > > I sometimes post stuff that would be much more interesting if I could
add
> > > small tidbits like, "X could buy Y for pocket change".
> >
> > Well - consider that Microsoft has more hard cash in the bank than any
other
> > US company. It has $30 billion dollars in cold hard currency in the
bank.
> > Don't know it's networth off the top of my head but I remember that
factoid.
> > So, it could fling $30 billion in any direction it'd like in a
heartbeat, no
> > bankers, no dealers, no negotiation - just *plonk* we own it - I love
that
> > :)
>
> They don't have hard cash in the bank. Most of its tied up in stocks and
> investments.

You are completely wrong. They have $30 billion in cold hard currency in the
bank. The most of any US corporation. They ALSO have billions in soft
currency and other investments.

Here is the first quick link I could find in a hurry from way back in 1999
when they ONLY had $21 billion in cold hard cash
(http://www.informationweek.com/736/36fncsh.htm)

Go to google and search for Microsoft cash on hand and you'll find wher that
figure is up and above $30 billion today. That's cash, not soft money. Cash.
As in buy a few third world countries over lunch cash.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:37:05 -0500

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan wrote:
> >
> > "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > thrown
> > >
> > > With content added, deleted, and modified per Microsoft's marketing
> > > agenda.
> >
> > Untrue - prove your claim!
>
> Are you on Microsofts payroll?
> Do they owe you something?

No - are you Linus' lapdog? Does ESR do your laundry?

I spot something I don't believe true and I say something about it. What's
wrong with that? How does that make me on MS's side necessarily? I say his
claim is untrue and ask him to prove it - what's wrong with that?

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:38:05 -0500

"Sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags
works.

> > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
> >
> > Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you
know
> > that there will be a response if you hover above it.
> > Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
> > In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and
click
> > on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
>
> 1. As a web designer, I think this is horrible. If I don't want MS to
screw
> the design on my pages up, what do I do?

Nothing - it's disabled by default or
Insert a metacommand in your HTML and defeat them no matter the setting.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:23:19 -0500

"Rex Ballard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Actually,
>
> The ILoveYou Virus caused over $2.8 Billion in damages to nearly 50
> million
> users (roughly $500/user on average).  The total average damages
> resulting
> from Microsoft sponsored security holes now exceeds $2000/user/year
> (so much
> for TCO).

Interestingly enough, a recent Macintosh virus has come out that does the
equivelant of the ILoveYou virus, using Applescript instead.  It does use
Outlook Express, but it also works with non-MS email clients as well.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: 12 Jun 2001 13:42:04 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Since Windows 95, I have *once* had to download new video drivers for a
> >particular video card I've owned (ATI Rage for Windows NT 4) and *those*
> >were included with Service Pack 4.
> >
> >With *every* version of Windows since, the drivers were either included
with
> >the OS, or included with the hardware.
>
> Yeah, but if you've lost your disk...

Download them? DOH