Linux-Advocacy Digest #174, Volume #35           Tue, 12 Jun 01 21:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows ("Matthew
Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux       (Rotten168)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (GreyCloud)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux     (Rotten168)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Chad Myers")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   (Rotten168)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    (Rotten168)
  Re: Redhat video problems. ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: So what software is the NYSE running ? ("Chad Myers")

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:56:59 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:17:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare wrote:

> >> Written from scratch by a Finn...
> >
> >Based on an American OS.
>
> For use on something derived from European technology.

Yet another worthless assertion with ZERO evidence to back it up.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:58:17 +1200

"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hartmann Schaffer wrote:
> >
> > In article <9g657c$7ca11$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nigel Feltham
> > >The other motivation was that he was working on the Bell Labs MULTICS
> > >operating system project and found so many problems he thought he could
> > >write something better by staring it again (the original name for unix
was
> > >unics as a parody of multics) - similar to the motivation linus had for
> > >writing linux.
> >
> > you got most of it wrong:  multics was a cooperation between mit (afaik
they
> > started it), ge's computer division (later taken over by honeywell), and
> > bell.  ritchie was with bell's group at mit.  later bell cancelled their
> > participation and withdrew their team to their labs in new jersey.  unix
> > is based on their multics experience, taking the capabilities of (much)
> > smaller hardware into account
>
> ...and legend had it that he coded it in assembler in two weeks. Now
> THAT is the mark of a real man!

Hence, I would rather hear a person like Dennis speak about programming than
a person like Bill Gates who hasn't programmed for well over 15 years and
has never produced anything original or innovative over the norm set either
bought out companies or foundations built my open standards groups.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
however, in New Zealand and Australia
a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:02:19 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:20:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> >> send pieces of metal into space for fun.
> >
> >Starve to death? Most of the children in America are obese and getting
> >fatter.
>
> Oh right, you're not American so you can starve to death. If this is
> an example of 'patriotism' then I was right in speaking against it.

No, I was the one called a communist for speaking against patriotism.

> >If you cannot understand why space exploration is important than you
> >have a teeny tiny little brain.
>
> Yeah, it's important to waste all that money so we can see some pretty
> pictures of some stars!

If that's all you can believe or imagine, I'm sorry. Besides, what has
your little has-been country done to help "the starving children"?

It's not the US's job to take care of the entire world.

Maybe you're talking about Africa? Africa is closer to Europe than
America dude. And who was it who moved into Mogidishu to at least make
an attempt to stop the chaos? The US. Europeans must have had better
things to do.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:03:35 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:24:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Actually, we have.
> >
> >Mmmm 'kay, right. Remember Kosovo? The US had to fucking go in there and
> >put a stop to the killing... most Europeans were too busy hiding in
> >their houses and counting their money (although some actually gave a
> >fuck). Europeans were also against the idea of letting the Bosnians
> >defend themselves (they wouldn't let them import arms), but, as usual,
> >were more than content to let innocent people be slaughtered.
>
> Wow, you really know absolutely NOTHING about the Balkan situation.
> Mind you, I don't expect an American to know anything outside his own
> country.

Oh, ok, tell me where I'm wrong. Of course, you're not really a details
guy are you?

So what did your little shit-stain of a country do for the Balkans?

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:04:15 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:25:11 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Never mind Bush, they may as well bring back Hitler and be done with
> >> it.
> >
> >Errr, right.
>
> Errr, yes.

I didn't understand what you wrote. Or are you speaking Engrish?

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:05:15 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> >> Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> >> free" long ago.
> >
> >I must have missed that novel piece of history.
>
> Americans do have a habit of being ignorant of historical facts.

Care to share your version?

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:05:00 -0700

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> Quote from the article at Wininformant:
>
> Linux, "....which has thus far gained success and prominence without
> having to fend off any actual competition."
>
> This is rich. It really is. If this is the intellectual level of our
> competition, then I am sadly disappointed in the human race. I thought
> Jan J. was an exception to the rule. Tell me people, are NT advocates
> *really* all stupid?!
>
> Sorry for messing up the thread though, as I have Jan still killfiled,
> I'm now replying to Bobby.
>
> Mart
>
> --
> Playing for the high one, dancing with the devil,
> Going with the flow, it's all the same to me,
> Seven or Eleven, snake eyes watching you,
> Double up or quit, double stake or split, The Ace Of Spades

If linux really is slow in penetration... maybe some more KY jelly ought
to do it! :-)

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:07:39 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:32:26 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Nick Condon wrote:
>
> >> The life expectancy of a man living in the EU is 74.4 years, and the infant
> >> mortality rate is 476 per 100,000.
> >>
> >> Can the US beat that?
> >> (Ans: No, your figures are 67.5 years, and 722 per 100,000)
> >

> >The US life expectancy for a male at birth is somewhere around
> >73-74 years.
>
> Unless they get caught up in a high school shooting, or they die of
> cholesterol poisoning.

No life expectancy is an average, so yes, some people will expire before
them, some after.

BTW, what is cholesterol poisoning?

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:52:46 GMT

"Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <3b2612aa$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> >"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Lets try Windanista.
> >
> >It's not quite the same. You don't have rabid moronic Windows guerillas
> >who set up web sites to flame Linux in the droves that you do the
> >other way around. Windows advocates typically like Windows, keep the
> >Penguinistas from spreading too many lies, and extol the virtues of
> >Windows once in awhile. They have nothing to prove because they
> >just want to use what's right. Penguinistas, OTOH, earned the title
> >because of their militant and underground nature of attack, propaganda,
> >and flame.
> >

> Microsoft executives spout an amazing range of lies about linux,
> the GPL, free software, etc. etc.  These need to be countered.

Not really, you just don't like any organization which doesn't
kiss Linus' ass. The fact is, Linux really isn't getting adopted
in the market, it's still niche, it still has many problems
and people know this, no Linux company is even close to making
profit, including Red Hat, and most people consider Linux a little
toy unix-like OS for when they don't want to pay for Solaris or
HP-UX and yet need something similar for testing or whatnot.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:54:29 GMT

"Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:RevV6.44439$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g3e80$bj6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> in

> > > The internet isn't significant?
> >
> > I was talking about significant in space exploration terms.
> >
> Viking,  Pioneer,  Voyager,   International Space Station,  and all the
> other probes, nothing significant,  your must be right.... (sarcasm)

Not to mention all the work on Mars. How many non-US probes have been
sent to Mars?

Oh yeah, that's right, none. Although Canada is planning a manned
Mars mission in the next few years (*laugh*).

> The US switched from very expansive maned space program to an unmaned
> program,  which was cheaper. Also the budget for NASA has been cut and cut
> and cut over the years,  so they have to make due on alot less money.   Even
> though the technology that has come out of the space program,  could have
> paid for it 10 fold.
> If it was so easy to send men into space,  why has anyone but USSR (Russia)
> and the USA sent men into space?

I can hear it now... "They could, they just don't want to," right =)

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:56:07 GMT

"Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:NtvV6.44486$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > drsquare wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 15:40:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > >  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))

> > > What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> > > their homes, and skinning them alive etc?

> simultaneously.
> > >
> > > Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> > > their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> > > women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.

> > > Which about 10% of your population benefit from.

> > > Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> > > large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> > > to death across the world...
> >
> > Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?
> >
> The world thinks the USA should feed the poor and  protect them but most of
> them don't want to lift a finger to help,  since it not their problem.

But they're just fine criticizing the US for all manor of the world's problems.
It's all our fault, remember? How come you don't see the French or the British
sending all sorts of humanitarian aid to Africa?

-c

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:12:05 GMT

Jon Johansan wrote:

> lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
> contains no "live" data or links.
> $damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated and
> contains more diverse types of information?
>
> there is a decision to be made here?

No.  The hard copy is far superior, if you can afford it.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:13:16 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:06:13 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> >>their homes, and skinning them alive etc?

> >>Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> >>their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> >>women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
> >
> >You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
> >shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
> >anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.
>
> Yet you neglect to refute my statements. Now YOU'RE the one losing
> credibility.

Because it's like trying to reason with a rabid chipmunk.

The US had a significant role in Africa in 1942 and made up the majority
of daytime air-raids in 1943. The Nazis were still strong enough that we
didn't attempt an invasion of Europe until 1944.

> >Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
> >obviously.
>
> Yeah, one good thing is that it's thousands of miles away.

Again, what pissant nation are you from again?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:13:53 GMT

In article <iXxV6.26576$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>Not really, you just don't like any organization which doesn't
>kiss Linus' ass. The fact is, Linux really isn't getting adopted
>in the market, it's still niche, it still has many problems
>and people know this, no Linux company is even close to making
>profit, including Red Hat, and most people consider Linux a little
>toy unix-like OS for when they don't want to pay for Solaris or
>HP-UX and yet need something similar for testing or whatnot.
>
>-c

The real truth of the matter is that Linux is the #1 growth OS
on the planet right now, with over double the growthrate in
usage that MS has.

And MS is aware of this and worried for good reason.

Linux will bury Windows and that time is comming now.

And this is the reason why MS executives are mouthing off.
They are finished, their OS is obsolete, they know this,
we know this...

It never ceases to amaze me how Chad can interpret reality.

No Chad!  MS executives are NOT mouthing off about LINUX
if FEAR.  This is NOT HAPPENING.  Linux is just a niche
OS which has no significance.  MS doesn't care about
poor little niche Linux.

Now Chad you be a big boy and clear those tears from your
face.  Your about to get your ass wiped.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:15:43 GMT

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Thaddius Maximus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > drsquare wrote:

> > > Wow, you spend billions of tax payers money on taking someone to a
> > > large piece of rock, acheiving what? Meanwhile, children are starving
> > > to death across the world...
> > >

> > scooter, that starving is going on in your Euro backyard, along with
> > some genocide but you don't seem too bothered by it.  You also never
> seemed
> > too bothered that your eastern euro brothers have lived for decades under
> > brutal regimes while you lavished in a western europe lifestyle.
> >
> > Brutality and genocide in your own neighborhood and you never once tried
> > to do a damn thing about it.
> >
> The problem is most of the starvation around the world is in a WARZONE.  I
> guess they want the USA to grow the food,  ship the food,  distribute the
> food,  protect the starving people when they come for the food.   While they
> sit back in their lavish western European lifestyle.

They actually denied the ability of oppressed people to defend
themselves. Remember in Bosnia, the Bosnians didn't have the arms
necessary to defend themselves while Serbia had huge stores of weapons
left over from the Cold War. European nations were bitterly opposed to
letting the Bosnians importing arms.

They were too busy counting their money to give a shit.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:20:15 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:09:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> >>send pieces of metal into space for fun.
> >
> >Typical Dutch attitude.  Blame someone else for all the world's
> >problems.
>
> How is starvation a Dutch problem?
>
> >Sounds like a severe case of jealously, to me.  (Gee, I wonder if
> >he'll deny it.)
>
> Yes, I'm jealous that I don't hoard up food and resources whilst
> children starve to death.

Yeah right, European governments are bending over backwards to give help
to impoverished nations, right.

The US gives a huge amount of money in foreign aid each year, I don't
really have statistics on how much in comparison to other countries.

How old are you, BTW?

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:19:43 +1200

> > - my father recently bought an
> > ex-demo  BJC2000 in a closing down sale without manuals or software and
> > used my Mandrake 7.2 system ( I have since upgraded to 8.0) to test if
for
> > him with no problems - I then had the fun of downloading the 3.5mb of
> > windows driver for him ( I have a poor phone line and can only usually
get
> > around 31,000 - I am currently connected at 21,600 and am considering
> > switching to cable).
>
> Hahaha, honestly I feel so sorry for the English re internet access, not
that
> its a lot different here in Australia :(

What I couldn't get over is how expensive telephone costs are in Australia.
$AUS40+ for line rental, then 25AUScents for each local call! and the
so-called call special of $AUS20 for a call to New Zealand! Here in New
Zealand, line rental $NZ29.95 per month, local calls are free, international
calls to the USA, Ireland and Canada, $NZ10 for as long as you want, phone
calls to Australia, $NZ5 for as long as you want, $NZ3 anywhere in New
Zealand. Internet, $NZ24.95 per month. One of the title perks living in a
high competivitive, deregulated market.

> I was reading on the net that if you live in the USA, that you can
> now get fibre (in some places) for $40 per month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>

> Dam, I'm jealous!

However, considering 50% of the Southern Cross cable between the US and New
Zealand via Hawaii is owned by Telecom NZ, which Aussie ISP's lease access
off, costs should finally come down as more bandwidth is offered to ISPs.
New Zealand ISPs were the first to benefit from it, then our Aussie brothers
will get the opportunity to bid for some.

> Here in Australia, a Telstra (govt monopoly telco )ASDL line costs upwards
> of $70 per month and is download limited to 3 gigs, with each additional
> megabyte at 35 cents!
>
> Telstra made an after tax profit of around $3 billion last year!

Telelcom recently bought out Australia's second largest telco, AAPT. Hence,
it will be a while before Telecom reach the profits they used to, $800M
annually.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:07:07 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g66ee$5p7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Exactly the reason that Microsoft would not attempt a fool hardy project
> > like converting NASDAQ to losedos. They still have not proven that Hotmail
> > is running 100% on losedos.  Speaking of Hotmail, I have abandoned my
> > Hotmail account because it was unavailable too many times.  If converting
> > Hotmail, which is simply web enabled email, was such a difficult task; how
> > could they possibly convert NASDAQ to losedos? In a 6 1/2 hour trading day
> > with 2 billion trades (a real busy day), the system has to process 85,470
> > trades per second.  Of course, trading is done with mainframe, not
> > losedos.
> >

> I gave up because of the same situation, and also, because when I selected
> multiple messages for deletion (when accessing via Outlook), the server
> reponds saying "invalid command".

What? Now your just being rediculous. Do you even expect anyone here to
believe that your inadaquacies as a computer user have anything to do with
the quality of MS software?

Would you like me to show you screen shots of a successful deletion of
multiple messages?

Please, stop being retarded, it's absoluately rediculous now.

-c