Linux-Advocacy Digest #177, Volume #35           Wed, 13 Jun 01 00:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Here we go again! ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Here's a switch for a change (Jim Richardson)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (LShaping)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Charles Lyttle)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (Jim Richardson)
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows (Ian Pulsford)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Charles Lyttle)
  Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-032 : SQL Query Method Enables Cached Administrator
Connection to be Reused ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (Jim Richardson)
  NYC LOCAL: Sunday 17 June 2001 Install Fest at Ruben's Place in Brooklyn
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("JS \\ PL")
  Re: Jan Johanson and racism. ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission  ("Stephen S. Edwards II")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Stephen S. Edwards II")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:52:43 -0400

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> S.T. Pickrell wrote:
>
> > In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
> > gap will close or not is another issue.
>
> Last I heard its progress through the gay community has slowed, but its
> advancing among the heterosexual youth,

That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists

(imagine that).

> --
> It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.  -- Voltaire

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here we go again!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:04:32 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael Vester"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is easy to generate desirable statistics if you control the sample.

Unbelievably, I came across an on-line newspaper's web-based poll not long
ago that wanted to know if people reading their web-based publication had
access to the internet.  Not too surprisingly, 99% claimed they had
internet access.

The other 1%... I'll leave that to you to figure out.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:11:56 -0000

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:37:42 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:12:04 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> > "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:9frbdu$5ku4u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> not
> he
> no-refunds
>> >
>> > There is no such clause in the EULA, in fact MS offers a 30 day money
> back
>> > guarantee on retail software.
>>
>> which if you try to collect (on the os that came shipped with your PC)
>> they refuse, say that you have to collect from the manufacturer of the
>> PC.
>
> The OS that ships with the PC is an OEM, not a retail copy.
>
> If you try to bring back your AC Delco radio, I'm sure Delco will likely
> laugh at you.

In the windows EULA, it says that if you don't agree to it, you should
return it for a refund, which M$ refuses to pay. If I bought a radio
which turned out to be a piece of sh!t, I'd return it, but I can't seem
to do the same thing with windows, why is that Eric?

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 01:53:52 GMT

That is why neither of your opinions make a hen's shit of difference
in the (free) world.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:10:07 GMT

Woofbert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charles Lyttle
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Actually, I just heard about a new technology becomming available that
> > > will allow a TV network or station to substitute objects in the
> > > background of a movie or program.  For instance, that can of Coke on
> > > the
> > > table can suddenly become a can of Pepsi...
> > > --
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > That has been available for some time and there have been cases in court
> > for doing just that. I think one was last New Year where a Pepsi
> > billboard was placed over a Coke billboard in Times Square. Most have
> > been at ball games where the broadcaster has placed adds over the ones
> > that are posted around the ball park. Broadcasters have taken to buying
> > blank panels in the park to have places to put their ads without being
> > sued.
>
> The owners of the programs where this is done own the programs (duh!)
> and sell the ad space. The Times Square one is iffy.
>
> But this is notthe same thing as Micorosft adding links to things on
> other people's web pages.
>
> --
> Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
> email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>
> web http://www.infernosoft.com/woofbert
I think it comes into the same theory. A local broadcaster could, for
example, replace the ads visible in ball games with local ads or insert
totally new ads over the broadcast. That was done in the early days of
cable TV( 1960s). The FCC made a rule requiring cable systems to carry
the ads from the local stations. You would be watching a show and
suddenly it would be interrupted by an ad for some local used car
salesman. Needless to say, the producers of the interrupted show did not
like this. They said it was taking copyrighted material and creating
"derived" works that violated copyright law. The only difference I see
is that the MS ploy is like having prerecorded ads stored in your TV
set.
--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:20:45 -0700

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Quite painfully true in my case.  My efforts on a Genrad (General Radio
> Corp) to enhance productivity in Automated Test Engineering simulators
> reduced the usual 2 man weeks of work down to 3 seconds.  It was just a
> big gapping oversight and I took care of it. But GenRad took found out
> about it and took the whole kit'n kaboodle.

Wow!  Almost my exact same experience with the feds and their vendors.  I
even spent good money on a patent attorney just to get told I was screwed.
 I couldn't retain any IP rights because of the funding situation, but the
 funding agency couldn't own any of it, so a sponsoring company ended up
 owning everything.

There really has to be a better way to do this since it's our tax dollars.
 And that doesn't mean giving it all to Mundie and MSFT... or anybody else
 other than the taxpayers who funded it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:21:19 -0000

On 12 Jun 2001 13:38:05 -0500, Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Sandman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
>> <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags
> works.
>> >
>> > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
>> >
>> > Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you
> know
>> > that there will be a response if you hover above it.
>> > Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
>> > In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and
> click
>> > on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
>>
>> 1. As a web designer, I think this is horrible. If I don't want MS to
> screw
>> the design on my pages up, what do I do?
>
> Nothing - it's disabled by default or
> Insert a metacommand in your HTML and defeat them no matter the setting.

Anyone know yet what the meta tag is to turn this crap off? I'd like to
make sure that my stuff is protected from this as soon as I can. It's no
biggie yet as XP isn't out, but I want that tag soon so I can put it
where it will do the most good (Thank goodness for proxy servers.)

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:27:59 +1000
From: Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> Ian Pulsford wrote:
>
> > pip wrote:

> >> Are you so shocked that it could not possibly be true ? :)
> >>
> >> He probably just uses it for the games anyhow.
> >
> > That was one of the original motivations behind the creation of unix.
> >

> The other motivation was that he was working on the Bell Labs MULTICS
> operating system project and found so many problems he thought he could
> write something better by staring it again (the original name for unix was
> unics as a parody of multics) - similar to the motivation linus had for
> writing linux.

Here's an interesting link:

http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/hist.html

IanP

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:29:07 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "macman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9g276l$btn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> saw

> > > It's not just another color for a hyper link.
> > > It's a totally different mecanism.
> > > You *can't* get confused between them.
> > > http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
> > > Here is a screen shot.
> > > news:9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > So what if you can't get confused?
> >
> > I'll add my own hyperlinks, thank you. I don't need or want Microsoft to
> > do it to my web pages -- no matter what color they make them.
>
> To be quite frank, there is little you can do about it.
>
> If I want to create a web browser that replaces all instances of macman with
> moron, I can do so, and there is no legal leg for you to stand on.
What you propose sounds to me a lot like changing the key in a piece of
music and claiming a new work as the notes are different. In fact,
besides copyright infringment, I think you could be charge with a
criminal act. Web page defacement has resulted in several lengthy prison
terms.

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-032 : SQL Query Method Enables Cached
Administrator Connection to be Reused
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:32:13 +1200

When a client connection to a SQL Server is terminated, it remains cached
for a short period of time for performance reasons. One SQL query method
contains a flaw that has the effect of making it possible for one user's
query to reuse a cached connection that belonged to the sa account.

Exploiting this vulnerability would enable an attacker to execute the query
using the administrator's security context. This would give her the ability
to take any desired action on the database; moreover, it would give her the
ability to run extended stored procedures, thereby giving her the
opportunity to run code of her choice and assume de facto control of the
server itself.

Patch availability:

  a.. Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 7.0:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q299/7/17.asphttp://support
.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q299/7/17.asp

Is this Chads glorious, secure SQL server he raves on about? my god, a
Microsoft product having security problems, GOOD LORD NO! HOW CAN THAT BE?

Matthew Gardiner
--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
however, in New Zealand and Australia
a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 02:53:31 -0000

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:59:22 +1200, Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I just wish whoever writes these damn viruses would just quit or get a
>> life.
>> Its screwing up computing.
>
> Hunt the bastard down, and send him to 20 years hard labour. Something the
> Soviet Union did, which worked quite effectively to ensure that idiots don't
> cause too many problems.  But of course you would have all the constitution
> wavers, libertarians, and other tosspots complaining.    Maybe what the US
> needs is a ruthless dictator, like Alberto Pinoche or General Tito (former
> dictator of Yugoslavia) to shake some sense through the community that
> acting like a dick head is unacceptable, and yes Aaron, you are on the Dick
> Head list.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death
> nobody hears your scream's

It's hard to do the dictator thing when there are over 70 million gun
owners, and 240+ million privately owned firearms... It shortens the
reign (and life) of such attempts.
 (not that things are perfect here, but the statists have to play it
 softer than they would like.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Sunday 17 June 2001 Install Fest at Ruben's Place in Brooklyn
Date: 12 Jun 2001 23:08:05 -0400

The GNUbies and LXNY, with NYLUG in support, are throwing a big
Install Fest on Sunday 17 June 2001 in Brooklyn.

This Install Fest is free and open to all.

This Install Fest is made possible through the work and kind generosity of
the organizers and all the volunteers.  We especially thank Ruben Safir,
Mrs. Safir, and HCE.

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

All free software welcome!  We do not discriminate among free kernels based
upon the first letter of their names.  We shall install as many free
systems on as many machines and on as many different kinds of machines as
possible.  We shall install both Linux kerneled and free *BSD kerneled
systems.  Any person who installs or helps install the Hurd or Squeak or
any Lisp OS or any ML OS will be treated to a family drink.

All experienced installers are invited to come and help.

All students of economics, of the history of engineering, and of the art
of propaganda are invited.

Date: Sunday June 17 2001.

Time: Starts at 1:00 pm.
      Late comers are just as welcome as those who arrive at 1:00 pm.

Location: Ruben's Place
          1600 East 17th Street
          Brooklyn, NY 11230

          By Train:
          Brighton Line Q (D is local in Brooklyn) to Kings Highway.
          Walk to E17th Street - 2 blocks.  Turn Left.
          One Block - cross Ave P - 3 houses on the Left.

          By Car:
          Note there is a Parking Lot in E15th and Kings Highway.
          BQE to Prospect Expressway to the end, into Ocean Parkway.
          Drive to Ave P and make a Left to E17th
          one block past the Elevated Subway.

          By Car from South Queens:
          Belt to Knapp Street.
          Knapp to the end to Gertitson Ave to the end to Nostrand Ave.
          Left on Kings Highway (one block on Nostrand)
          Kings Highway turns INTO Ave P.  Left on E17th Street.

Hardware: Bring the boxes on which you wish to run a Free OS.
          Though it is safest to bring your monitor, keyboard, and mouse,
          you need not.  We will have such available onsite.
          Internet connections via ethernet will be provided.
          Telephone lines will be provided, so we can help with PPP.

Software: Bring whatever distribution CDs, boot and rescue disks, boot
          managers, tiny distributions, manuals, and anything else you
          want.  Again, you need not bring any of these things, since
          they will be available onsite.

http://www.lxny.org
http://www.gnubies.org
http://www.nylug.org
http://www.sixgirls.org
http://www.fsf.org
http://www.debian.org
http://www.linux.org
http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd
http://www.squeak.org
http://www.freebsd.org
http://www.netbsd.org
http://www.openbsd.org
http://www2.ics.hawaii.edu/~esb/prof/proj/hello
http://www.daemonnews.org
http://slashdot.org
http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems
http://www2.tunes.org/Review/OSes.html

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:15:04 -0400

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:46:22 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >These specs don't mesh with what was available in the 200mhz era. Every
ad I
> >find in January 1997's Computer shopper has a mhz range of 133-200mhz and
> >hd offering of 2.x GB for low end pc's and 3.x GB for high end.
>
> I got a computer with a 200mhx processor and a 1GB hard disk, no
> matter what you might say.

Lets see a screenshot of the system properties window. It doesn't jive.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Jan Johanson and racism.
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:20:03 -0700

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

"Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Id2O6.14224$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Aside from the ususal Flat Fish you can find posting to COLA
> > with their rediculous arguments, we have Jan Johanson
> > and {HER?} rediculous arguments also.
> >
> > Posts every 2-5 minutes for 18 straight hours a day 7 days
> > a week.  You can mainly find Jan Johanson on COLA!
> >
> > I figured she'd be a tremendous hit with the Rush fans!
> >
> > And speaking of Rush fans, we now have MS crossposting
> > to COLA from RACISTS GROUPS!  This is truely fun reading
> > and has much to do with Linux VS MS.
> >
> > Until next time then!  From the wild, wild world
> > COLA where Linux reighs, this is the PAID WINTROLL REPORT!

> Charlie Ebert - ass headed idiot. You are a joke Charlie. Your laughable
> posts only harm Linux or whatever your cause it. Go get college degree
> before you post on this newsgroup.

Oh come on, Boris.  Give him a break.

It's summertime, and 6th grade doesn't
start for him for about three months.

Just let him have his fun.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:23:09 -0700

"Jasper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> On 20 May 2001 13:35:11 -0500, "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >I thought you were educated? Time to go back to class...
> >
> >radio waves travel slower than light...
> >

> How embarrissing.  Radio waves are light.

*sigh*  That comment is right up there with
"patriotism is a stupid thing".

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Advocacy - Wintroll Mission
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:24:02 -0700

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Thanks for comming clean Wintroll.
>
> 8)
>
> Try reading my post Charlie.

Impossible.  That would require intelligence...
something which Charlie is devoid of.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:41:20 -0700

"quux111" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > Nick Condon wrote:

> >> Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything.
> >> Your parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere.
> >> So just keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just
> >> visualise your father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes
> >> down to, really.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nick
> >
> > Harsh , but to the point.
> >

> ...not.  This is exactly the kind of vitriol I try to stay out of, but the
> notion that patriotism is somehow pointless or wrong is repugnant.
> Patriotism (in the best sense) is nothing more than a sense of community
> and common purpose.  Cynics like those who posted above are generally
> malcontents who don't vote (if they live somewhere where people elect
their
> leaders) but bitch all the time about how society is going to hell.
>
> When I call myself an American, it's not just because this is where I was
> born.  I am fully capable of moving someplace else if it's just a matter
of
> "one place is pretty much like the next".  However, I happen to believe
> that being an American is more than that -- it's about a set of beliefs,
> ideals, ethics, and experiences that are unlike anywhere else in the
world.
> And just about any *other* culture/nationality can make the same claim.
>
> That's why "home" has a special meaning to everyone.
>
> From A Proud Yank,

Be you a Windows user, or a Linux user, you have
spoken well sir... my hat's off to you.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:59:06 -0700

"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stephen Edwards wrote:
>
> >Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> >mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon) wrote
> >in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >>Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
> >>parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
> >>keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise
> >>your father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to,
> >>really.
> >
> >Remember that, when the Chinese police
> >are knocking at your door, and intend to
> >take you away for questioning.
> >
> >Again, spoken like a true communist.
>
> You don't think the Chinese are patriotic? Patriotism is huge over there,
> haven't you noticed how easily their national pride is dented? Didn't you
> see all that stuff about the spy-plane?

You're talking about their government.  The people there
want out of communism.  Remember Tienimen (sp?) Square?

Also, notice how our being steadfast got our men home?
The spy-plane incident is an example of how great we
are.  The Chinese government was simply spineless... no
wonder they are so afraid of their people.  If the Chinese
people ever decide to revolt, and bring down their govt.
you can bet that the U.S. will back them up.  Why?

Patriotism, and love for the American way of life.