Linux-Advocacy Digest #185, Volume #35           Wed, 13 Jun 01 08:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Thaddius Maximus)
  Re: Redhat video problems. (Terry Porter)
  Re: The Microsoft PATH. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (Terry Porter)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Sandman)
  Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job? ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: ZDnet: David Coursey Attacks that Horrible Operating System: Windows (Terry
Porter)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux         starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...) (Nick
Condon)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
(Stephen Cornell)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux         starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows (Chris
Ahlstrom)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and  ignorance...)
(Nick Condon)
  Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows (pip)

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:14:33 +0100

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:09:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> >>send pieces of metal into space for fun.
> >
> >Typical Dutch attitude.  Blame someone else for all the world's
> >problems.
>
> How is starvation a Dutch problem?

What exactly do the Dutch do on a world scale?  Sell tulips and
wooden shoes?

> >Sounds like a severe case of jealously, to me.  (Gee, I wonder if
> >he'll deny it.)
>
> Yes, I'm jealous that I don't hoard up food and resources whilst
> children starve to death.

Enough already with the implication that the US is "starving
children to death."  You really are becoming the Dutch version
of Homer Simpson.

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:36:01 +0100

Rotten168 wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:09:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  (chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >Typical Dutch attitude.  Blame someone else for all the world's
> > >problems.
> >
> > How is starvation a Dutch problem?
> >
> > >Sounds like a severe case of jealously, to me.  (Gee, I wonder if
> > >he'll deny it.)
> >
> > Yes, I'm jealous that I don't hoard up food and resources whilst
> > children starve to death.
>
> Yeah right, European governments are bending over backwards to give help
> to impoverished nations, right.
>
> The US gives a huge amount of money in foreign aid each year, I don't
> really have statistics on how much in comparison to other countries.

In 1998, U.S. foreign aid amounted to $14.1 billion

Largest foreign aid contributions in 1997:

Japan
France
Germany
USA

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:40:01 +0100

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:20:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Typical American attitude. Let the children starve to death whilst we
> >> send pieces of metal into space for fun.
> >
> >Starve to death? Most of the children in America are obese and getting
> >fatter.
>
> Oh right, you're not American so you can starve to death. If this is
> an example of 'patriotism' then I was right in speaking against it.
>
> >If you cannot understand why space exploration is important than you
> >have a teeny tiny little brain.
>
> Yeah, it's important to waste all that money so we can see some pretty
> pictures of some stars!

drsquare, with each of your posts, your brain keeps getting smaller
and smaller - you're going to implode, boy!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:11:31 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:31:12 +0200, Mart van de Wege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:45:05 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>>www.linux-laptops.net
>
> Ooops, that should be www.linux-laptop.net

Which just goes to show that Flatty was lying as usual!

He said that he tried your advice, but later said that
the link didnt work, and you have just supplied the correct link.

Anyone still in doubt re Flatties sincerity ?

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: The Microsoft PATH.
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:15:44 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:11:01 +1200,
Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:12:22 GMT, webgiant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Frankly, I wish the Linux community had also had a period without a
>> > GUI.  There'd be more console-only software and games for starters,
>>
>> We use the cli daily, there are lots of games and apps for the console,
>> someyou will *never* see under Windos.
>>

> But you can still play nethack on Win32, that's the only console game worth
> playing.

My son Sam, loves Adom and Nethack and some others, one was a multiplayer
networked version, and we had a LOT of fun, with Sam leading around gangs
of characters, mages, knights, pick pockets etc.

I didnt stand a chance!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:21:15 GMT

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:54:17 +1200,
 Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Terry Porter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> If your still interested, try something like xfce, flwm, icewm, blackbox
> etc.
>
> I sold the box when I went overseas.  Now I run Slackware 7.1 under a VMWare
> session, which runs better than the 486 ever did.  I also have a copy of
> BigSlack installed on my Win98 PC at home.

Bigslack ..cool.

>> Same as I have running my router.
>>
>> Thats not so slow, and with 32 megs ram would have been tolerable
>> with X and flwm. I also think a kernel below the 2.2 series as well,
>> because they are faster.
>
> I suspected that adding more memory would have helped, but I couldn't find
> any of the right type.
> Using X was like wading through treacle.

You mean using Enlightenment with 16 megs ram was like treacle ?
;-)

From: Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:30:01 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> What I would actually like to see is PDF replace all proprietary
> >> document formats, so there is one, universal document format that
> >> will work on every platform, every office suite, no matter who makes
> >> it.
> >
> >Go forced standards! We should all think alike!!
> >
> >No, seriously, I agree. I like the idea of layout looking the same way
> >all the time. PDF has it's limitations to html though, and we'd have to
> >find a new cool format that replaces both PDF and html, something that
> >can be used for the web and for print. :)
>
> Yeah, one thing that puts me off PDF is that the viewers are such low
> quality. They always render things really badly, and it's next to
> impossible to copy/paste text etc.

Agreed, that's why we have to come up with a new all-in-one format
everybody can use to handle information with :)

--
Sandman[.net]

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:28:53 +1200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g77sh$spd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9g60ae$1mr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > Do you remember the Amiga? That too was a great system, esp. programming
> > with AMOS and AmigaBASIC.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> I naver had an Amiga, but I used them a fair bit.
>
> -Ed

Do you remember the good old days of computers when companies took pride in
producing the best software and hardware they could? Amiga was one of those
pieces of hardware, and I never once had a hardware fault in the 8 years I
owned the Amiga 500 w/ 1.5MB RAM. Software was compact, fast, easy to use.
Software Applications like Fusion Paint, Workbench 1.3.2, AMOS, AmigaBAIC,
KindWords, Wordperfect, all of them second to none. The games, they were
awsome, Great Giana Sisters, Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands.  No one I knew,
who were newbies, never had any problems getting their computer up and
running.

Matthew Gardiner

--
I am the blue screen of death
nobody hears your scream's

Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
however, in New Zealand and Australia
a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)

For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
Seek and ye shall find

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: ZDnet: David Coursey Attacks that Horrible Operating System: Windows
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:32:01 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:03:28 -0700, Paolo Ciambotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9g5u6i$r9o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bobby D. Bryant"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Attention all Linux advocates: If you haven't used Windows for a while,
>> strand yourself somewhere where there is only a Windows machine for a
>> couple of days.  It will refresh your perspective on things, for sure.
>
> I spent all day today trying to uninstall MSFT Project.  On the first pass
> with the uninstaller it told me that the installation was damaged and to
> re-run setup from the original location.  So I did, and it told me again
> the installation was damaged and I should re-run setup from the CD.  So I
> tried to re-install directly from the CD, but it tells me the installation
> is damaged and I should re-run setup from the original location.
>
> MSFT Project still seems to work perfectly; I just can't uninstall it or
> re-install it.

LOL!

Please Paolo, have pity, this old mans innards can only stand so many belly
laughs in the one post!

> Tomorrow I'll probably have to spend all day alternating between REGEDIT

Ohh what FUN!

> and Norton WinDoctor before I can get it banished from my system.  What a
> magnificent piece of shit is this thing called Windows.

Oddly Bill Gates thinks so too, but for different rea$on$ to us ;-)

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:36:14 +1200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g79kd$ta$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> We should've let the Nazis stoot-slap your asses, it would've shut you
> >> up.
> >
> > More ideally, we should've listened more carefully to Patton, and just
> > taken the USSR when we had the chance.
>
> Rule of combat #1, never attack Russia. It has never been succesfully
> done. The problem was that if the US had failed, they would have been
> thoroughly up the creek.
>

> -Ed

Two instances where the invaders failed, Napoleon and Adolf Hitler. In the
thousand or so years Russia has existed, only one group successfully invaded
it, the Mongolians under the command of Gengus Karn, probably one of the
best military leaders of his time.

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:42:01 GMT

Stephen S. Edwards II spouted:

>The fact is, if Europe hadn't dragged us into
>their little conflict ..

The Japs. The Japs brought the US into WWII.
What's the matter, don't you go to the cinema?
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: Stephen Cornell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 13 Jun 2001 12:40:49 +0100

"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> If it wasn't for the U.S., Adolf and
> Hirohito would have wiped your country
> off the face of the Earth.

Right.  And, if the Brits hadn't sat tight on their own against the
Axis for two years, while the US stayed out of the conflict until the
Japanese attacked them, then Europe would have been overrun by the
Nazis.  Do you have any idea of the pounding that Britain took, and
the bravery required to hold a much stronger enemy at bay?

> Why does everyone keep talking about how the
> Soviets defeated the Nazis?  That's utter
> bullshit.  The Soviets spent more time shooting
> their own people for cowardess and treason than
> they did killing Nazis.

No-one is claiming that.  What they're saying is that the Soviets
managed to occupy a significant fraction of the Axis's resources, and
this weakened the enemy.

> The fact is, if Europe hadn't dragged us into
> their little conflict, they would have been
> overrun.  They were in quite poor shape once
> we got into the game.  From that point, we
> called the shots, and kicked 3rd Reich ass.

You accuse others of being ignorant and arrogant, and yet you come out
with this crap.  You really have no clue.

First, Europe did *not* drag you into the conflict - you got involved
because you were attacked by the Japanese.  Second, WWII was not won
by any party alone, but by the *allies*.  The US would never have won
it on their own, and in particular if Britain hadn't stood fast then
the war in Europe would have been over before the US decided it was in
their interest to become involved.

> But too many Euros have far too much ego
> to admit that someone else actually saved
> their asses.

No, most `Euros' are very well aware of the major role played by the
US in rescuing us in WWII.  What pisses us off is the revisionist
picture you paint that somehow you did it all yourselves.

The infuriating thing about your style of American patriotism is the
dogma that what makes America great is the American Way.  The main
reason why the US enjoys such prosperity is that you have a huge land
mass with a wealth of natural resources, thousands of miles away from
any serious aggressor.

You believe you have a moral superiority that entitles you to preach
to the rest of the world.  You pretend - some of you even believe -
that your military interventions are for the sake of idealism, whereas
your foreign policy is dictated by self interest, just like every
other country.  You expect unconditional gratitude when your actions
benefit us, and tell us to get stuffed when they don't - and you feel
free to tear up international agreements whenever it suits you.

> Really?  How long have you lived in the U.S. yourself?
>
> Tell me, how is it that you can know about every
> single person here, what they think, and how they
> feel... you must be Jesus Christ returned.

Can't speak for Matthew, but I lived for a year in Canada, with
frequent trips to the US.  The level of ignorance and
small-mindedness, even among the educated classes, was frankly
appalling.  Even Britain does better in this respect.

Finally: don't get me wrong - I don't hate Americans or the US.  There
are many things about the US and about Americans that I admire. It's
just absurd when Americans accuse Europeans of being clueless about
the rest of the world.

--
Stephen Cornell          [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:40:37 +1200

Look at the US social problems vs. whats happening in the European
countries, then come back and say something a little more than nationalist
retoric. For example, look at the debt, unemployment of the Netherlands.
Look how europe tackles social problems rather than sweeping it under the
carpet as the US does.  You may want to continue on your right wing mantra,
but time will tell.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:43:40 GMT

Dennis Ritchie wrote:

> The article doesn't seem to be online as of yesterday.  I gather the
> magazine is mainly paper-based.
>
> People seem to have noticed the edges of the screen, but so far
> no one has identified the contents and origin of the very large
> pale-yellow window with pride of place on the screen.
>
>         Dennis

Okay, I apologize for speculating that you may be in your dotage!
But I can't identify the window; part of it looks like an e-mailer,
but the picture in this magazine is too blurry to tell.

Thanks for venturing into this thankless arena, dmr!

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:42:50 +1200

> What's true?  Are you suggesting that America was saved because of
> Russia???
>
> First off, the Nazis didn't kill 20 million Russians.  Stalin killed
> 20 million Russians by leaving them out in the freezing elements
> without supplies for extended periods of time.
>
> Nazi Germany and Japan needed petro and that petro came from the east
> indies region of the world where American military was in full force.
>
> America had Germany both by power and by strategic positioning.
>
> Europe can thank the good ol' USofA for saving the world!
>
> End of story!

Ask any ANZAC who were the biggest whiners and complainers in the second
world war.  The US didnot save the world actually, so pull your head in and
re-read history without all the pro-US propaganda.

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:47:18 +1200

> Not to mention all the work on Mars. How many non-US probes have been
> sent to Mars?
>
> Oh yeah, that's right, none. Although Canada is planning a manned
> Mars mission in the next few years (*laugh*).

Russian actually did.  Also, Russia landed the first probe onto Venus. A
small feat in itself.

> > The US switched from very expansive maned space program to an unmaned
> > program,  which was cheaper. Also the budget for NASA has been cut and
cut
> > and cut over the years,  so they have to make due on alot less money.
Even
> > though the technology that has come out of the space program,  could
have
> > paid for it 10 fold.
> > If it was so easy to send men into space,  why has anyone but USSR
(Russia)
> > and the USA sent men into space?
>
> I can hear it now... "They could, they just don't want to," right =)

Poland, India, Hungary, Bulgaria, East-Germany, China <-- Examples of the
USSR allowing these countries to use Soviet equipment to get into space.
Why make the hardware when you lease it for a week or two?

Matthew Gardiner

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:49:22 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g6cbc$a5o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:gvxV6.78595$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
[snip]
> > "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9g673u$688$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > What I would actually like to see is PDF replace all proprietary
> > > document formats, so there is one, universal document format that
> > > will work on every platform, every office suite, no matter who makes
> > > it.
> >
> > Hmmm?
> >
> > Why is PDF better than, say, Word format?
> >
> > Heck, PDF doesn't work for *any* office suite,
> > does it? At least Word works for some of them.
>
> Wordperfect Suite has embraced it.

"Embraced" it? What does that mean? Have
they abandoned their own formats?

> Apple Mac will soon.

How do you figure?

> Maybe Microsoft
> should keep up with the play and adopt it.

What for?

>  Why not word? Microsoft will use
> it as leverage to stifle competition and cross platform compatibility.  By
> Adobe controlling where it should be heading, Adobe has no vested interest
> in which office suite wins, all its interested in is ensuring that their
> format is used, and embraced by the respenstive companies.

Adobe has no interest in making PDF into a word processing
document format at all, still less in making it, say, a spreadsheet
format.

> Standards and
> filters are provided by adobe,

Filters? Do you mean that everyone would
still use their own format, but with Adobe
translators?

That would be quite the full-time job for
Adobe.

> ensure that all Suites have equal
> compability,

Not with filters. If each Office Suite has its own
format to translate to, there will be variations in
how well the translation works.

> thus, the one stumbling block in the Office wars has been taken
> away, thus, the level playing field has been created.

I think this overly optimisitic. It's not that easy to create
a level playing field- indeed, I think it's pretty much
impossible. There will always be *something* that gives
this or that product and advantage.

For instance, support for the old formats will continue
to be important for quite some time. That will favor
Word et al; they will surely be better able to handle
the now-officially-obsolete Word format.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:53:12 GMT

Stephen S. Edwards II wrote:

>"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>
>> Well, let me throw this one at you, how do you feel about the fact that
>> here in America, somebody under 21 can buy a gun and serve his country,
>> but he/she can't even walk into a friggin' bar and order a beer? Where's
>> the American freedom there?
>
>It is preposterous, and such laws are a result
>of the liberal mindset.  That law was as recent
>as the 70's, IIRC.  The reason why laws like
>that one get put into place is because of
>a lack of patriotism, and pride.  People just
>apathetically allow these idiotic politicians
>to do their own bidding, without saying a damn
>word.

The reason such laws exist in the US is the Republican Elizabeth Dole. As
transport secretary in the early 1980s, Mrs Dole hit on the idea of linking
federal highway grants to raising the legal drinking age to 21. Sadly, even
states that are supposed to take freedom particularly seriously, such as
New Hampshire (motto: Live free or die) decided to take the cash.

This kind of thing is fuelled by two currents in American life: petty
puritanism and a pathological obsession with safety.

America likes to think of itself as a country conceived in liberty. But it
is also a country that was conceived by puritans. Again and again, these
days, puritanism seems to be trumping freedom. No country treats smokers
(or indeed tobacco companies) with such petty vindictiveness as the United
States. As for safety, America seems to have convinced itself that the
world is an astonishingly dangerous place, and that the only way to keep
these dangers at bay is to regulate even the most trivial bits of
behaviour. Hence the need to replace standard playground equipment with
"safer" alternatives, such as one-person see-saws and transparent tubes to
crawl through. And where else would photocopier toner come in packets that
warn you not to eat the contents?
--
Nick

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>