From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:15:11 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rotten168 wrote:
>Nigel Feltham wrote:
>>
>> > So Dennis is an avid gamer, eh?
>> > ;-)
>> >

>> Maybe we should do him a favour and send him copies of Tuxkart, tuxracer,
>> flightgear, chromium and all the other good linx games ( or suggest he
>> looks at www.linuxgames.com).
>
>I'd be wary of anything with that stupid fucking penguin in it. If he
>wants good games, send him over to Loki's sight for some REAL games.

I like the penguin.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marg Petersen)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: 13 Jun 2001 11:37:51 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. R. Ellis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Margelefty wrote:
>>Brock Hannibal wrote:
>

>>> Now move along, before you
>>> get laughed off of usenet.
>>
>>Hasn't happened yet but you're welcome to try.
>
>And I quote Margelefty thusly:
>
>"You can all burn in hell for all I care.   I'm unsubscribing from these
>groups FOREVER!"

And I'm still here. :-)  Going to try to stop me?  :-)

>How's that problem with your compulsive lying coming along, Margelefty?

Did you ever have anything to say?  No?  Figured.
Poor Trellis, nothing better to do than dredge up old
statements and arguments.  Get a life, dear.  Oh, never
mind.  I forgot, it was you.

Marg

--

The Quest is everything!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:48:06 +0100

In article <iXxV6.26576$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:

>"Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <3b2612aa$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> >"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >It's not quite the same. You don't have rabid moronic Windows guerillas
>> >who set up web sites to flame Linux in the droves that you do the
>> >other way around. Windows advocates typically like Windows, keep the
>> >Penguinistas from spreading too many lies, and extol the virtues of
>> >Windows once in awhile. They have nothing to prove because they
>> >just want to use what's right. Penguinistas, OTOH, earned the title
>> >because of their militant and underground nature of attack, propaganda,
>> >and flame.
>> >

>> Microsoft executives spout an amazing range of lies about linux,
>> the GPL, free software, etc. etc.  These need to be countered.
>
>Not really, you just don't like any organization which doesn't
>kiss Linus' ass. The fact is, Linux really isn't getting adopted
>in the market, it's still niche, it still has many problems
>and people know this, no Linux company is even close to making
>profit, including Red Hat, and most people consider Linux a little
>toy unix-like OS for when they don't want to pay for Solaris or
>HP-UX and yet need something similar for testing or whatnot.
>
>-c

Kiss ass?  Wow, love this tech chat.  Linux is certainly getting
adopted in large amounts across my company, and also, increasingly,
across the workforce for use at home.  This is a major change
from a couple of years ago, when linux users were 'geeks like me'.
Now, far less technical people are trying using and enjoying Linux.

I don't know what most people think of linux, but then I know you
don't know that either, so that's really no big issue.

Now why would they need unix for testing?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:52:12 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sandman wrote:
>In article <9g673u$688$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\)"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> What I would actually like to see is PDF replace all proprietary document
>> formats, so there is one, universal document format that will work on every
>> platform, every office suite, no matter who makes it.
>
>Go forced standards! We should all think alike!!
>
>No, seriously, I agree. I like the idea of layout looking the same way all
>the time. PDF has it's limitations to html though, and we'd have to find a
>new cool format that replaces both PDF and html, something that can be used
>for the web and for print. :)

SGML/XML are for exactly this, are they not?

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:01:52 +0100

In article <9g77qv$spb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward Rosten wrote:
>>><begin rant>
>>>
>>>I don't know why the hell BT didn't get everyone on to ISDN?
>>>
>>>OK, I know ISDN isn't that great, but it's a hell of a lot better than a
>>>modem, especially since the connection seed is much more consistent.
>>>
>>>It isn't as if the entire bloody phone network runs at 64 kb per second
>>>anyway. All ISDN does is skip the A/D converters in the RCU (remote
>>>concentrator units). Esentially what everyone has to do is send an
>>>analogue signal down a line that then then gets didgtised at the speed
>>>ISDN runs at anyway.
>>>
>>>But for some reason, they claimed ISDN was something `special' and
>>>charded a bloody fortune if you waned to use it.
>>
>> You have to change the line card at the TE, and provide suitable
>> equipment on the customer's premises to get a digital signal down the
>> 2-wire line.
>
>When I last looked, the line rental was pricey, so there was more than
>just an initial equipment cost.
>

>>>Note, the entire network is a plesiochronus network that gives a like at
>>>64kb/s (fixed for the duration of the call) between any two RCUs. The
>>>RCU's then digitize or anaolgueize the data and chuck it down a twisted
>>>pair ot the telephone.
>>
>> Not quite.  The 64kbit/s network is being replaced (albeit slowly) with
>> a new generation of switches with an ATM core.  The transmission network
>> between the switches is mostly synchonous, not plesiochronous any more.
>

>Transmission between which switches? The DMSUs or the DCCEs? I also
>thought that the link between the RCUs and the DCCEs is still mainly
>plesiochronus.

It might be, but that's not much of the network.  There's still a lot
of plesiochronous around, but it hasn't been made for a few years now,
so is being replaced.

>Besides, this changeover is much more recent than the introduction of
>ISDN.

Yes!

>> The other job of the line card (aside from PCM to analogue conversion)
>> is to provide a balanced bridge to get four wires out of 2, as well as
>> providing signalling from the customer's premises to the switch.
>> Otherwise you wouldn't be able to dial anything!
>
>4 wires out of 2?

That's what the bridge (aka hybrid) does - it's based on the same principles
as Wheatstone's bridge, and relies, amongst other things, on very
precisely matching impedance in both directions.

You need four wires - 2 to send audio and 2 to receive it.  You could
argue using 3 wires, 1 earth, 1 send and 1 receive but the distances
between handset and switch are so large that you wouldn't have an
effective earth.  This also means you can't use the 'real' earth for
the same reason, so you're left with either providing 4 wires, or
saving 50% of the cost and providing 2 wires and a hybrid.

>And I kind of forgot about signalling.
>

>> I thought that home highway pricing was the same as PSTN once you'd had
>> the install done, but I might be wrong - maybe you should look into it?
>
>I think its more.
>

>Anyway, I still think that they could have made life much easier and got
>everyone over to ISDN (or most people) a lot more easily. It would also
>save them quite a lot of hassle now since they're being so slow with ASDL
>rollout (for a change).

I agree with you!  I think the pricing policy was probably a mistake.

>-Ed
>

>PS I'll stop ranting now.

:-)

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:17:57 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> Usually, it says something about a file being used by another patch.
>
> I've seen others flash up about how it couldn't execute a command or
> script or something. They just flash by in the countless lines of
> useless crap output it displays as its hosing the OS and blowing away
> and hope of ever booting again.

Ever try redirecting standard error to a floppy?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: Opera
Date: 13 Jun 2001 22:14:44 GMT

Todd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: "Fred K Ollinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:9fr73v$8k7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: > Ayende Rahien (don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: >
: > : "Leigh Wedding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: > : news:9fhnnp$eki$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
: >
: >
: > : > The way I see it IE is not really free as MS claims, it is
: > : > actually included in the price of MS Windows.  Can you
: > : > grasp this concept?
: >
: > : No, I can download updates for free.
: > : I don't have to buy something to get IE5 on Win95.
: >
: > Where do I get the source.  I'd like to compile the linux version.

: It doesn't come with source, like 95% of the applications out there.  Source

Then it's not free in all senses.  So to say that it's free isn't completely
correct. Unless MS is changing the meaning of the word free.

Do 95% of free applications come with no source or is this all applications?
Are these apps for windows in the 95%, ix86 line or are they for mainframes
as well.  Probably better to give a reference for this exact-sounding number
of 95%.

: is intellectual property, something that Linux users don't grasp.

I can grasp it.  I'm a linux user. But to say that it's free, and not have
sources seems to mean that the freedom is only in monetary terms.  But if
it's for a non-free operating system, then it's not free at all b/c it's
dependent upon the purchase of a product. Free, to me, in the dollar sense
means that I don't have to buy another product. Giving away the sources
would make IE free.

Oh, what does intellectual property mean to you? That you can't copy it?
If that's true then the people at MS also have no grasp of this intellectual
property. They copy a lot. I'm not saying that copying is bad, but all the
data above shows that linux people aren't lacking at all, actually.

: Just because source isn't available, doesn't mean that the application sux
: or whatever.

I didn't mean to imply that.  I was asking a simple question based on what
was said earlier, it seemed to be a good one.

: 99% of the consumers out there do not *want* to compile, they just want to
: *use* the software... another thing the Linux community will probably never
: get.

Why is this important what others want to do?  I'm not a clone of others nor
do I want to be. I don't base my action on what others do. I don't need many
other people to do something before it's 'ok' for me to do it.  So it looks
as if linux people can think for themselves b/c they don't follow 99% of
consumers. I think that this is great, that all linux users should pat
themselves on the back for being elite. I wouldn't have thought about it this
way, but it was nice of you to mention that.

: Oh well... if you don't adapt, you will not succeed.  So stop whining.

Who's whining? I asked for sources for a purportedly 'free' application.  This
makes me a whiner b/c I don't copy other, b/c I think for myself?  B/c I'd
like to read the source for the apps that I'm dependent on? Would an auto
manufacturerer insult a customer for wanting to look under the hood, trying
to convince me that I don't want to do that after all?  This is very similar to
the mac mentality which is why I left that platform.  All things not possible,
(cli, pre-emtive multitasking, etc), the users didn't want anyway.  When the
platform changed, it suddenly became a Good ThingTM. I like irony here.

Fred

: -Todd

: >
: > Fred
: >

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:22:13 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > > it's the SPREADING OF DISEASE which I don't like.

> > Cannot ANY form of intercourse spread disease?
>
> Yes.  However, are all diseases equally communicable and equally deathly?

Very true, but if you are (as you claim) heterosexual, the chances of
you catching an STD from a homosexual are minimal.  Your chances of
catching an STD from a heterosexual woman are somewhat higher (though,
given some of your views, pretty low, as I guess you would have some
trouble getting laid)

--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:24:04 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > You're right.  It's much worse.
> > >
> > For 10 minutes could you stop being retarded, and explain in RATIONAL
> > TERMS wht is wrong with homosexuality?
>
> What part of  AIDS, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Kaposi's Sarcoma  do you not
>understand?

This is hardly rational terms.  If you are straight, how, for example,
do you propose to catch AIDS from a homosexual?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 22:13:14 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Maynard Handley wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Well, it does :-) and in this particular respect, a great deal
>> more than other alternatives.
>>
>> Per user pref files tend to be unlimited.  I can't think of a
>> single application that I use that is constrained by system-wide
>> preferences.  My per-user preferences define my environment.
>> How else could a multi-user system operate?
>>
>> What about the apps?  For the most part they're available in
>> source, and can be compiled or installed from scratch with
>> essentially no effort or cost.  For the ones that aren't
>> available that way, the old versions will still work unless I've
>> changed to a machine with a different processor architecture.
>> In that case I have to get a replacement or I'm short of luck.
>> How else could the applications behave?  Even Windows is
>> famously backwards-compatible for applications.
>>
>> Drivers and system-wide configuration are an issue of bringing
>> the new machine up in the first place, and are essentially
>> orthogonal to the issue of moving your user environment around
>> with you.
>>
>> So what _was_ the question?
>

>Oh give me a fucking break. This is why adults consider the Linux crowd to
>be a bunch of amateurs.

?? err,what?

>The point I raised was that it is time-consuming to move from one box to a
>new one.

Yes, it's hard, isn't it.

>Your answer is "well the apps are available as source".
>So FUCKING WHAT??? How does that reduce the time involved?

Er, yes, it does.  It means that you can recompile the apps from
source, which will be quicker and easier than finding new apps which
don't do exactly what the old ones did.

>The problem is NOT the availability of the apps or data or whatever else.

Er, it isn't?  I think this is the root of your misunderstanding.

>The problem is that I can't hit a single button, come back in an hour, and
>have the new machine just ready to work the same way my old machine did.
>In my world, the world of consumer computer users, people who have lives
>outside computing, we expect things to work that way, with single button
>installers.

Welcome to the real, adult world, where we can't all have exactly what
we want.  Father Christmas is not going to wave his magic reindeer and
pull a replacement machine which is magically exactly the same as the
one you have out of his sack.

You sound like my 6 year old kid.

>The idea of spending twelve hours surfing the net downloading
>packages and building them does not thrill us to our cloacas.

Yes, my 6 year old kid doesn't like working for anything either.

>if you look at my original post, my point was my claim that this lack of a
>single-button way to move an old machine to a new machine has a
>demonstrable economic effect, that there is a substantial base of
>consumers out there who are wealthy enough to buy a new system, and
>willing to buy a new system, but could not be bothered to do so because
>the cost (in TIME) of moving everything from one machine to the next is
>too high; and that by fixing this MS (with money from Intel in necessary,
>since Intel wins as much as MS) could do as much as anything else to
>improved their revenue stream.

You very naive person.  Microsoft's business model is based on you
having to buy replacement apps during an upgrade.  That's the point
of doing the upgrade, from their point of view.

If you really have the money, take your machine to a computer store
and tell them what you want.  You pay your money to the nice man
in the shop, who'll install new hardware and replacement software
which does as near as possible to what you have now.  If you ask
him really nicely and pay some more money, he'll probably spend
some time with you explaining how to use these nice new apps.

That way, you use your lever, your money, to get what you want.

>Since then I have not read a single post since then that makes me change
>my mind. I have, however, once again had a chance to view just how
>fundamentally out of touch with reality your average Linux zealot is.

This has nothing to do with Linux.  You can pay a nice man to have
whatever OS you want.

I think you're out of touch with life in general, at least as much
as my young kids are.  You seem to think that your money should buy
you a big red button, but don't seem to understand what it really can
buy you.

--
Mark Kent

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:25:50 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> drsquare wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:32:03 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("S.T. Pickrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >In Africa and Asia you're certainly right.
> > >
> > >In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
> > >gap will close or not is another issue.
> >
> > Do they? Have you got any EVIDENCE? No, you haven't. So fuck off until
> > you have.
>
> U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
>
> EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> Injecting drug use - -
> MALE 126,889 -
> FEMALE 46,804 -
> TOTAL - 173,693
> Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> MALE 4,663 -
> FEMALE 248 -
> TOTAL - 4,911
> Heterosexual contact - -
> MALE 23,361 -
> FEMALE 43,128 -
> TOTAL - 66,490
> Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> MALE 4,784 -
> FEMALE 3,598 -
> TOTAL - 8,382
> Risk not reported or identified - -
> MALE 41,037 -
> FEMALE 15,533 -
> TOTAL - 56,572
>
>  - center for disease control, 1999

Can you quote some recent figures?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:26:36 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> > S.T. Pickrell wrote:
> >
> > > In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
> > > gap will close or not is another issue.
> >
> > Last I heard its progress through the gay community has slowed, but its
> > advancing among the heterosexual youth,
>
> That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists
>
> (imagine that).

Well it makes a change from Communists

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 15:23:24 -0700

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:29:40 -0700
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> [snip for brevity]
>
> >> (Side note: Believe it or not, there's at least one bulb out there
> >> that has been burning for 100 years.)
> >
> >Now that you mention it, I read somewhere in a newspaper after the
> >collapse of the Berlin Wall, that most of the light bulbs in Russia were
> >hard wired in and have been lit for over 40 years.  Does that mean our
> >light bulbs are planned obsolesence?
>
> I for one couldn't say; i've never been over to that side of what
> once was called "the Iron Curtain".  The closest I got was Yugoslavia.
>
> Mind you, that sounds a little weird.  Hard-wiring in a light bulb?
> Might make sense if it had a zener shunt protector and was some sort
> of a LED / solid state device, perhaps -- but it's only been within the
> last two or so years that we could manufacture white LED's.  Then again,
> electrolumiscent panels might work, too.
>
> But you'd still want them field-replaceable in case of, say, a lightning
> storm, tornado, earthquake, mudslide, flood, destructive neighbor kid,
> helpful not-so-handyman all-thumbs spouse, mad scientists, etc.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random light source here
> EAC code #191       44d:12h:43m actually running Linux.
>                     This is a voluntary signature virus.  Send this to somebody.

It was an article in the Seattle times several years ago. Their
lightbulbs worked.
Can't say that about the rest of their country.  Of course the Seattle
Times have been known on several occasions to get things wrong.  After
all they are a very liberal newspaper.

Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Jun 2001 18:27:22 -0400

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Try writing a file compression utility in java. Now write that same
> utility in C or C++ using all the nice features that C and C++
> have. The function mmap(...) can make the whole compression chore as
> easy as rifling through a buffer. There is no comparison, the C or
> C++ code can be so much fatser and require fewer resources, than the
> equivilent in Java or perl.

Also, with Java, you sometimes have to regress a bit.  For example,
it's not very easy to write a simple function that swaps two variables
in Java by passing them by reference. You have to do some strange
mutations by creating a class just so you can work with objects.  I
think your only hope is to pass an array with two elements, and swap
the two elements.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:28:14 +0100

>>It is in some ways. Print is much easier to read than a computer screen
>>due having a much higher resoulution and contrast. Also, the print
>>quailty from an expensive book is liable to be much higher than the
>>print quality you could get out of any printer you are likely to be able
>>to afford / have room for.
>>

> History has a habit of disappearing in online publications.

True.

But I'd still prefer a hardcopy encyclopedia to an encyclopedia on CD
ROM.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage