Linux-Advocacy Digest #226, Volume #35           Thu, 14 Jun 01 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?) (drsquare)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (drsquare)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (drsquare)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (drsquare)
  Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?) (drsquare)
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (drsquare)
  CP: Re: Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it ("Matthew
Gardiner (BOFH)")
  Re: More funny stuff. (Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed ("Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)")
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! ("ne...")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Peter da Silva)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! ("ne...")

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: The point of all of this... (was Re: Where is American pride?)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:33 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:04:53 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
>>
>> IOW, it was a lack of patriotism (ie: the love for one's
>> country and its ideals) that put Europe in the shitter.
>
>Amen, brother!!!  A country without patriotism is east pickins.

It was patriotism that caused the war in the first place.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:36 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:30:43 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <9g8fp2$2mtk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stuart Fox"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> document formats, so there is one, universal document format that will
>>> work on
>> every
>>> platform, every office suite, no matter who makes it.
>>>

>> PDF **is** a proprietary format.  It's owned by Adobe.  It's no less
>> proprietary than DOC or XLS.
>
>It si completely open , though.

Then why are the viewers so bad?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:35 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:52:33 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>You can also pick up the book and go and sit in a comfy chair which is
>>>not easy to do with my computer.
>>
>> Yeah, buta large book is a bit of an arse to have to cope with. Or you
>> could connect the computer up to the telly and read everything off the
>> there, with the keyboard on your lap.
>
>The good ones split up the books in to several managable volumes.

Which means even more arsing about trying to find what you're looking
for.

>>>Copyiung/pasting mabey of some use, but it would be best to have both,
>>>since the price of a CD is so cheap, they should give one away with the
>>>printed version.
>>
>> Possibly.
>
>Best of both worlds, really.

Indeed.

>>>You may not agree, but many people do, which is why books aren't going
>>>anywhere soon.
>>
>> Also, books are better in that you don't have to launch up your computer
>> etc every time you want to look at something, and the pictures are
>> generally better quality.
>
>That is true.

Also, you can't pirate a book!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:34 +0100

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:54 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:33:50
>>On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:38:34 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>It is in some ways. Print is much easier to read than a
>>>computer screen due having a much higher resoulution and contrast. Also,
>>
>>I wouldn't be so sure. It's easier to read from a screen than to have
>>a collection of giant books strewn about the place.
>
>You obviously haven't been using computers very long.  Or very much, at
>least.

I use them for at least 16 hours a day.

>>Also, I like reading off the monitor. They're are no problems with
>>shadows/lighting etc, and you can set your own font/size. Also, you
>>can copy/paste text.
>
>Get out in the sun, man.  You've been in your mama's basement for too
>long.

I notice you avoided replying to me points about CD encyclopedias.
Does this mean you agree with them?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:33 +0100

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:48:46 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Stephen Cornell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Right.  And, if the Brits hadn't sat tight on their own against the
>> Axis for two years, while the US stayed out of the conflict until the
>> Japanese attacked them, then Europe would have been overrun by the
>> Nazis.  Do you have any idea of the pounding that Britain took, and
>> the bravery required to hold a much stronger enemy at bay?
>
>I have no idea, because I wasn't there.  But you
>must understand, I'm not picking on anyone in
>particular.  I'm talking about Europe in general.
>
>France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Poland... they
>all fell like dominoes, because none of them
>wanted to "deal" with it.  Since the Brits were
>demolished, it was left up to us.

Demolished? It's obvious you don't know a single thing about the war.
Stop posting before you humiliate yourself further.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:27:31 +0100

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:17:21 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >While your at it, lets see how small the HD is. You claim it's 1gb which
>> >doesn't jive with system sold during the 200mhz era.
>> >right click on your c: in explorer, hit alt-print screen paste into
>> >paint.....
>>
>> OK, I admit I lied. It's 1.26GB. Are you happy now?
>
>I knew you were lying. But I also know your still lying. That's pretty sad.
>Saying you have a SMALLER system than you actually have. Pathetic.

You'd prefer it if I said I had a BIGGER system than I actually had?
Wouldn't that be even MORE pathetic?

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nz.comp
Subject: CP: Re: Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:30:08 +1200

Angel of Paradise.. wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:18:44 +1200, "Nathan Mercer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>I've just put my flamesuit on.
>>

>>http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2773365,00.html
>>

>>Some highlights that made me smile:
>>
>>"because it gives a large number of geeks and wonks a religion to belong
>>to--complete with a patriarch."
>>
>>"I don't have numbers to support this, but Linux may be a bigger threat to
>>various flavors of UNIX than it is to Microsoft server operating systems."
>>

> GREAT goes a long with my thoughts some 200%..
>
> We must have  a news group for these nut's
>
> Like   nz.comp.linux.idiots   etc..
>

> Then we M$ users can live in peace and get on with using our PC's
> with out having to play with every thing to get it going and being bombarded by Linux
> Nerds..

Doesn't this sound like the typical AOL or earthlink dimwitt you
constantly hear about, but of cource, in optimism you think, "na,
someone can't be that thick!", or, "they must be in the extreme
minority". Here is proof that idiocy exists everywhere, even people who
don't even use Earthlink and AOL.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Subject: Re: More funny stuff.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:04:42 +0200

GreyCloud wrote:

> Mark wrote:

> > >That's why I love linux. It doesn't pretend to be as easy as a toilet. I
> > >especially like the style of the documentation. For me, it is the
> > >intuitive approach "at second glance".
> > >

> > Ah, now here's a thought - what would the microsoft toilet be like?
> >
> > --
> > Mark Kent
>
> Hehehehe.... the water would look blue for sure!
> And they will use a 2 gallon reservoir.

Its tube covered with displays showing animations of blue liquid...
Saying "You may now leave" displayed on a blocked door out. Ooops, yes,
we forgot to close the window before leaving.
Reboot, scandisk (yuk), flush again to leave.

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:07:44 +0200

give us a link

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:09:13 +0200

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> [something]
> Can you quote some recent figures?

a link perhaps?

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:13:28 +0200

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> > S.T. Pickrell wrote:
> >
> > > In North America, it seems more homosexuals get it. Whether the
> > > gap will close or not is another issue.
> >
> > Last I heard its progress through the gay community has slowed, but its
> > advancing among the heterosexual youth,
>
> That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists

please explain the 4 dots       ^^^^
is that a joke or something?

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:11:40 +0200

Rick wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > drsquare wrote:

> > > Do they? Have you got any EVIDENCE? No, you haven't. So fuck off until
> > > you have.
> >
> > U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
> >
> > EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> > Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> > Injecting drug use - -
> > MALE 126,889 -
> > FEMALE 46,804 -
> > TOTAL - 173,693
> > Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> > Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> > MALE 4,663 -
> > FEMALE 248 -
> > TOTAL - 4,911
> > Heterosexual contact - -
> > MALE 23,361 -
> > FEMALE 43,128 -
> > TOTAL - 66,490
> > Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> > MALE 4,784 -
> > FEMALE 3,598 -
> > TOTAL - 8,382
> > Risk not reported or identified - -
> > MALE 41,037 -
> > FEMALE 15,533 -
> > TOTAL - 56,572
> >
> >  - center for disease control, 1999
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
>
> Once again, without more information, these numbers are useless.

There will be a reason for Mr. Kulekiss not to provide anything of use.
Let's see.

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:28:08 +0200

Sky King wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:52:43 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> > >That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists
> >
> > The same way all your rumour are spread by paranoid right-wing nuts
> > like yourself.
> >
> Except we "right wing nuts" have the stats to back us up.  Do you?
> sky

I don't see any. I see a figure in Mr. Kulekiss's two postings which he
claims to be one of an organisation he trusts.

some funny stuff on statistics:

                ``I gather, young man, that you wish to be a Member of
                Parliament. The first lesson that you must learn is,
when I call
                for statistics about the rate of infant mortality, what
I want
                is proof that fewer babies died when I was Prime
Minister than
                when anyone else was Prime Minister. That is a political
                statistic.'' (Winston Churchill)

                ``You haven't told me yet,'' said Lady Nuttal, ``what it
is your
                fiance does for a living.''
                ``He's a statistician,'' replied Lamia, with an annoying
sense of
                being on the defensive.
                Lady Nuttal was obviously taken aback. It had not
occurred to
                her that statisticians entered into normal social
relationships.
                The species, she would have surmised, was perpetuated in
some
                collateral manner, like mules.
                ``But Aunt Sara, it's a very interesting profession,''
said Lamia
                warmly.
                ``I don't doubt it,'' said her aunt, who obviously
doubted it very
                much. ``To express anything important in mere figures is
so
                plainly impossible that there must be endless scope for
                well-paid advice on the how to do it. But don't you
think that
                life with a statistician would be rather, shall we say,
                humdrum?''
                Lamia was silent. She felt reluctant to discuss the
surprising
                depth of emotional possibility which she had discovered
below
                Edward's numerical veneer.
                ``It's not the figures themselves,'' she said finally.
``It's what
                you do with them that matters.'' (K.A.C. Manderville,
The undoing
                of Lamia Gurdleneck)

found at http://www.xs4all.nl/~jcdverha/scijokes/1_2.html

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:32:59 +1200

drsquare wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:23:59 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>

>>I'm now using Mozilla 0.9.1, and I have removed Aaron off my killfile.
>>

> Why the hell have you done that?

I need something as a very low benchmark, "hell, at least I am not a
total dick like Aaron". I just like seeing how his crap is either
ignored or flamed. None of his posts address the issues, hence, he is
kind of like a politian.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:39:11 GMT

On Jun 14, 2001 at 07:06, . eloquently wrote:

>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 8 Jun 2001 18:54:00 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>>heineken?
>
>> That's lager isn't it?
>
>No, its pilsner.  Read the goddamned can.
U drink from cans??? bletch!

roach vt.

 [Bell Labs] To destroy, esp. of a data
   structure.  Hardware gets toasted or fried, software gets
   roached.

  8:38am  up 3 days, 10:03,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 14 Jun 2001 12:11:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Maynard Handley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The problem is that I can't hit a single button, come back in an hour, and
> have the new machine just ready to work the same way my old machine did.

Your computer system is more complicated than your house. It has more
components that interact in more complicated ways, and that change more
quickly. I just moved into a new house, and even disregarding the time spent
just moving stuff around, which computers are good at, it's taken me more
than an hour to set up new device drivers: my A/C filters, my windows (all
new blinds and drapes), learning how to boot and maintain my pool, finding
components for the pump, locating the phone jacks and matching phone jacks and
power plugs to the Southwestern Bell network interface box and my fusebox,
and so on. I'm still finding stuff I need to fix.

And this is in an industry where a 30 year old house has all the same
interfaces as one built today.

For that matter, how long do you spend familiarizing yourself with a new
car? Or do you just wait until something breaks and then try and find the
dipstick by flashlight?

> In my world, the world of consumer computer users, people who have lives
> outside computing, we expect things to work that way, with single button
> installers. The idea of spending twelve hours surfing the net downloading
> packages and building them does not thrill us to our cloacas.

Absolutely. Dealing with new kit is tough. Some computers are designed to
make dealing with new kit easier: I upgraded my Palm in 2 minutes in a single
hotsync session, but even then I had some driver issues with OS plugins that
didn't work with the new processor. Still, that was the most pleasant
upgrading experience I've ever had.

But reality is: a personal computer is the most complicated device the average
user will ever own. It's got more components that have to interact with each
other than, well, everything else they own put together.

If you buy a new sound system for your car, do you install it yourself? No.
You pay someone to do it for you. Unless you are an expert, you're going to
have to do the same thing with computers for quite a while to come, or
buy them preinstalled, reinstall your apps from media, and your data from
the last CD-RW backup you made. And keep track of all your install disks
and packages so you can do it again.

UNIX based systems at least *help* you do this. These "Linux Zealots" are
more in touch with reality than you are.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:42:24 GMT

On Jun 14, 2001 at 11:40, Edward Rosten eloquently wrote:

>> Drink bitter.  Lager is not beer!  Amongst other things, it is flashed
>> cooled to a temperature where your taste-buds are no longer effective
>> (deliberately, because it tastes very bad), it is pasteurised, thus
>> removing much of the flavour it might have had, and it is carbonated,
>> thus making it unpleasant to drink, causing the stomach to bloat, and
>> giving a
>> 'full' feeling.
>
>Lager is good for one thing. It goes well with hot curries. It seems to
>be rather better than water at calming the heat, but other than that, I'd
>prefer a bitter or ale any day.
Heinekin Dark, Carlsberg Special Brew - the only things worth
drinking.....

Q:      What is orange and goes "click, click?"
A:      A ball point carrot.
  8:40am  up 3 days, 10:05,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00