Linux-Advocacy Digest #232, Volume #35           Thu, 14 Jun 01 11:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and        (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and  (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: Linux freindly ISPs? ("Andy Jeffries")
  Re: Getting used to Linux ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when     (Rotten168)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and           (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: Why did Eazel shutdown? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: Linux freindly ISPs? ("Tom Ross")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: Redhat video problems. (flatfish+++)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (SSunbird)

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:51:47 +0200

Sky King wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > > U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
> > >
> > > EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> > > Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> > > Injecting drug use - -
> > > MALE 126,889 -
> > > FEMALE 46,804 -
> > > TOTAL - 173,693
> > > Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> > > Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> > > MALE 4,663 -
> > > FEMALE 248 -
> > > TOTAL - 4,911
> > > Heterosexual contact - -
> > > MALE 23,361 -
> > > FEMALE 43,128 -
> > > TOTAL - 66,490
> > > Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> > > MALE 4,784 -
> > > FEMALE 3,598 -
> > > TOTAL - 8,382
> > > Risk not reported or identified - -
> > > MALE 41,037 -
> > > FEMALE 15,533 -
> > > TOTAL - 56,572
> > >
> > >  - center for disease control, 1999
> > >
> > > --
> > > Aaron R. Kulkis
> >
> > Once again, without more information, these numbers are useless.
> >
> What info you looking for?  I will find it and post IT. sky

The source of the figure above.
The publication.

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:51:04 +0200

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
> >
> > Rick wrote:

> > > Once again, without more information, these numbers are useless.
> >
> > There will be a reason for Mr. Kulekiss not to provide anything of use.
> > Let's see.
>
> They provide the documentation that 2% of the population accounts for
> 50% of all of the AIDS cases.

You told us.
But where can we _read_ that besides in your postings of scientific
excellence?

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:45:43 +0200

drsquare wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:30:38 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Drugs, alcohol, sex; things are MUCH more libertarian (freedom) in
> >> Denmark than in the US. It's all about personal responsibility.
> >
> >And pedophilia.
>
> Well, if that's the best you can come up with, you may as well not
> bother posting at all.

And it was wrong:
The Netherlands is not Belgium, just as Canada is not the US.

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:05:56 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I think that the first-past-the-post method used in the UK and US for
> >> elections is out of date. It had its place when communications were
> >> poor and proportional representation would have been very difficult to
> >> do. In this day and age, I can't see how a system which lets the guy
> >> who got fewer actual votes overall get in to power can be justified. We
> >> have a similar problem here that the number of seats a party gets is
> >> not linearly related to the number of votes they get, but rather less
> >> fair.
> >>

> > Maybe you'll enjoy reading the following and realize that mob rule is
> > not in the best interest of each individual's liberty.
> >
> > http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst121200.htm
> >

> See if you can have an independent thought.

We (USA) do NOT have a representative democracy.  We (USA) have
a constitutionally limited republic!

> That is a
> different issue to people being improperly represented, as in
> the man who received the most voted not getting in to power.

We (USA) do not have that system of democracy.  We (USA) are a
constitutionally limited republic with an electoral college system.

These are just the facts and cannot be argued with.  If you feel
the need to write your own version of a constitution and would
like to submit it to the American people, be my guest.

> You clearly have little understanding of these terms you keep saying.

Of course I don't.  I can't even find America on a map.  Do you
feel better telling me what I do and do not understand?

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:07:31 GMT

Toadies Maximus wrote:

> Rotten168 wrote:
> >
> > "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> >
> > Well, let me throw this one at you, how do you feel about the fact that
> > here in America, somebody under 21 can buy a gun and serve his country,
> > but he/she can't even walk into a friggin' bar and order a beer? Where's
> > the American freedom there?
> >
> > I've heard several Canadians talk about warning people who take a trip
> > into America about how to act with the police: be extremely obsequious.
> > In Canada apparently, the police act as a force that exists to help you,
> > they are friendly, courteous, helpful etc. They don't automatically
> > assume you are guilty of a crime like here in the states. American
> > police are seen as jack-booted thugs who have stop and search your car
> > if they feel like it, without a warning.
> >
> > If anywhere should be put on the pedestal of freedom, it should be
> > Denmark.
> >
> > So while I do have a certain amount of pride in this country, part of me
> > is pissed off as hell about the apathy people display when they tout the
> > "freedom" of America when that's not entirely the case.
> >

> Join the ACLU and fight for the type of America that you
> believe in!

Who says I didn't?
--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:08:24 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Do you thing the victory was an international effort?

**Obviously**  That's the point.  Somewhere between the idiots who say
"the US won the war single-handedly" and the idiots who say "the US
didn't do anything" lies the truth.

------------------------------

From: "Andy Jeffries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux freindly ISPs?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:10:59 +0100

Err......http://www.uklinux.net/

> I'm moving in to a flat soon and since I have a Linux box, I need a
> Linux friendly ISP, also, cable is not an option.

Shame, I'm on NTL cable and it rocks!!!

Check out http://lhd.datapower.com

> If necessary, I can get hold of a Windows box temporarily if I need that
> to register.

Not with uklinux.net, register on-line from anywhere (internet cafe?  As
you are reading this NG I know you have access from somewhere) and then
just copy the settings in to the configuration files.

Cheers,

--
Andy Jeffries
Lead-developer of Scramdisk for Linux (SD4L)

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:14:24 +0100

drsquare wrote:
> And especially as Icewm is the ONE TRUE WINDOW MANAGER.

No.  That honour belongs to RTL.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Actually, come to think of it, I don't think your opponent, your audience,

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:21:20 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 22:01:16
> >On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:30:38 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >
> >>"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>And pedophilia.
> >
> >Well, if that's the best you can come up with, you may as well not
> >bother posting at all.
>
> Not to Americans, no.  It is part of the general hangup about sex, that
> we see the exploitation of children in pornography and all other sexual
> acts (including masturbation) completely abhorrent.  It has become
> almost a psychosis.  The United States Congress has even publicly
> censured an academic paper which merely suggested that any and all
> sexual experiences with adults don't irreversibly harm children.
>
> It is, after all, a slippery slope.  If you are going to subscribe to
> the (primarily American, let's face it; we invented the 'sexual
> revolution' and led the world in feminine rights) idea that everyone
> should be free to engage in sex with anyone else at their discretion,
> then you are going to have to draw a rather firm line between consensual
> sex and exploitation of vulnerable victims.

On the cover of my local newspaper a few months back there were the
pictures of all of the area's sexual predators and their respective
addresses: rapists, molesters, etc. etc. Well... one of the guys on the
cover was on their because he, 19 years old, had had sex with his 15 (I
think) year old girlfriend... statutory rape. So that earned him a spot
on the cover with these types of people. The only reason I know this is
because one of his family members wrote the newspaper and I happened to
read the letter. Not one other person in the community went to his
defense.

Conservatives spent the 1980's vilifying anyone who came to the aid of
someone accused of molestation-type crimes as liberal... so now no one
wants to risk it. And not everyone who's accused is guilty... memories
can be "planted" by psychologists etc. etc.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:23:41 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> >>What country(s) may that be?
> >>

> > Balkan countries.
> >

> They aren't in the European Union and as a result donot come under the
> European Union's Humans Rights Act.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Regardless, it occurred and Europeans did nothing to stop it.

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:20:36 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> It's a representative democracy.
> >>

> > No, it's a republic!  The term "representative democracy" is purely to
> > satisfy those who cannot grasp that the USA is a republic and who remain
> > committed to believing that the USA is a democracy.  It's  simply a term
> > to satisfy the ignorant.
>
> You seem to be incapable of understanding that it can be a republic run as
> a representative democracy.

You seem to be struggling with the word "representative."  You seem
to think that the word cannot be used in describing both forms of
government.  See below:

"Republican government: One in which the powers of sovereignty are
vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly,
or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers
are specially delegated."

"Democracy: That form of government in which the sovereign power resides
in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or
indirectly through a system of representation."

The USA, is without doubt, a Republic.  Sorry to bust your bubble Ed,
but there is no democracy form of government in the USA!!!

This is fact.  The founding fathers layed this out, not me, so take
it up with Ben Franklin if you still have a gripe!

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why did Eazel shutdown?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:18:12 +0100

Stuart Krivis wrote:
> I would also imagine that Newsfeeds will turn you over pretty quickly if
> given the right motivation. Try using this "anonymous" server to post
> death threats against George Bush. There will be a knock at your door
> pretty quickly. :-)

I didn't know that the Nobel Peace Prize committee was that responsive.  :^)

Donal.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:21:29 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:
> "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > BBC BASIC is a steaming pile too.  HTH!
>
> It's the best BASIC there is and it gets in the way least. Besides this
> is a religious issue.

That's one particular cesspit whose mastery of I wouldn't hurry to
proclaim that widely.  :^)

Donal (I've written many programs in Beeb Basic, so I know how bad it is.)

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:29:29 +0100

drsquare wrote:
> All indenting should be one space.

No.  That is such a silly thing to say that I shall use enable the
use of ad homenim attacks.  Nitwit.  Buffoon.  Nincompoop.  Colobus
monkey.  Knuckle-scraping nodule noggin.  Pyromaniac lycanthrope[*].

(I can see this argument getting mega-tedious fast.  Try getting some
long-term experience with dealing with your indentation rules both in
your code and other people's and see if you still agree with them...)

Donal.
[* OK, that's a bit OTT. ]

From: "Tom Ross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:36:50 +0100

I use redhat with demon and so far no problems. Biggest obstacle was to find
any info on how to set it up.

Tom

news:9ga1a6$npp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

(u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 15:35:12 +0100

Ayende Rahien wrote:
[DKF wrote that gets() is BAD NEWS]
> Never understood what it was there in the first place.
[...]
> Works just as well, and don't cause anything any problems.

That can cause trouble of a different sort if the buffer is shorter
than the line.  Doing it properly takes more code than I feel like
writing right now.

[DKF wrote that Eiffel and B are languages for mission-critical usage]
> Isn't B the lagnguage before C? ;-)

It's a different B.  You know how people like to recycle unused and
underused things... :^)

Donal.

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:56:40 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 03:03:21 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Mark) wrote:

>So why not use RedHat?

I am :)

I was just making a point that there really should be some kind of
consistency between distributions. Why should selecting the EXACT same
parameters for X produce different results on different systems to the
level that some don't work at all?

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: SSunbird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:49:42 -0500

"." wrote:

> I am a polygamous heterosexual, and I have at least 20 friends who are also,
> and over 200 aquaintances who are the same.  All in the same city.

> Actual real world experience once again completely nullifies your white trash,
> inbred, backwoods, hick retardation.

> With a gun.

> -----.

huh.  five letters.  i wonder.