From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the world thinks there is only windows. yahoo sucks.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:26:06 -0400

> yahoo is as stupid as any business out there which only makes its
> web pages to one platform.

This is even more stupid when you realise that all of Yahoo's website
servers are running FreeBSD (
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/hosted?netname=FGC-REQ000000010007,204.71.200.0,204.71.203.255

).

It really pisses me off when I see large companies who use Open-source
software to run their servers yet refuse users with the same operating
system to access those sites.

If windows isn't good enough for them to use then why force use to use this
crap.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:16:38 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> unidentified poster wrote:
>
> > More ideally, we should've listened more carefully
> > to Patton, and just taken the USSR when we had the
> > chance.

Dumb idea.

NEVER attack a country in which it's army can perform strategic withdrawal
for 10,000 miles across a 3,000 mile-wide front.

In such conditions, Even stupid snipers will take out 5 enemy soldiers
before being killed themselves.

Not only that..but...although the typical Russian is QUITE peaceful
(less prone to support military aggression than American citizens),
they are FIERCELY loyal to the cause when the country gets invaded.

In WW2, the Red Army wasn't fighting for Stalin....they were fighting
for MAMA AND GRANDMA

> How would that have helped? the US benefited in that the Soviet Union
> created the first biological weapon, when the US originally thought it would
> be impossible.  First person in space, first sat. in space, first woman in
> space, first space station in space, first lander on venus. One can go on
> and on about the accomplishments of the former Soviet Union. Also, the only
> reason why the Soviet Union collapsed was the lack of re-investment back
> into their industries, thus, not enought hard currency coming back into the
> coffers (government's treasury) to pay the bills. The US didn't go to good
> either, ballooning the debt to 2 trillion dollars, over half of it due to
> Vietnam, which they lost miserably, which funny enough, the US still treats
> it as though they won.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death
> nobody hears your scream's
>
> Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
> however, in New Zealand and Australia
> a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)
>
> For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
> Seek and ye shall find

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:18:02 +1200

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>>>Yes, but at the same time, it's not clear what it will be running. The thing
>>>we really need to see is a survey of what operating systems businesses are
>>>running today. The survey would have to include companies of different size
>>>and different markets (etc, etc.) so that variations could be factored in.
>>>As you point out, just looking at what OS machines were shipped with isn't
>>>necessarily valid, especially in the case of server shipments.
>>>
>>>-- Mike --
>>>

>>Also, most Linux users are DYI people who build their own computers so
>>that they have absolute control over what goes into it, and when the
>>shit hits the fan, how to fix it.  Hence, one cannot always get the
>>correct figures when counting the number of Linux "shipments" vs. the
>>number of Windows "shipments".
>>

> Oh yes, this "Enterprise Linux" running on a bunch of home-grown
> boxes. I'm glad I'm not an employee of one of those companies. I'd
> have to use my stock options as toilet paper because it'd be cheaper.
>
> -c

Whats the difference between a dell machine assembled in Malysia by a

chinese person vs. a machine assembled by the system admin?  Nothing.

Also, if you were to use it for enterprise, you would get a prioprietry
solution from SUN or IBM, REAL hardware with a REAL os.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Nova <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nz.comp
Subject: Re: CP: Re: Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:26:15 +1200

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:53:29 +1200, Angel of Paradise..
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Then we M$ users can live in peace and get on with using our PC's
>>> with out having to play with every thing to get it going and being bombarded by
>Linux
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Don't put down Eathlink as a chap from their sorted out my HP Scanner problem with my

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For a MS Windows user who doesn't have to play with everything to
get it going, you sure do have a lot of problems that you post about
in here, don't you?

-
Nova
(uses both OSes and is happy thank you very much)

------------------------------

From: "George Alexeief" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What does XP stands for ???
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:22:10 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Zsolt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen some rather good, although 'unofficial' explanations about the
> XP abbreviation in Windows XP. Let's try to collect them in this thread.
> Anybody, who has other good idead, please post them here!
> To kick-off the collection, some idea's I've seen so far on this
> newsgroup:  eXPerimental
> eXtra Problems included
> eXtremely Pathetic

"eXtra Production" - as in the only reason XP exists is to obsolete
slightly-old hardware, to force upgrades and new hardware purchases.
HP's CEO Fiorini said as much today on cnet.com.  .... Since it needs at
least a 450 mHz machine with 256mB RAM, XP will bring the hardware sector
out of its economic slump.

I'd rather have my machine running Linux, and then *I* get to decide, not
Microsoft, when it's time to upgrade my hardware.

Linux = user sovereignty, not corporate control.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:22:44 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> > More ideally, we should've listened more carefully
> > to Patton, and just taken the USSR when we had the
> > chance.
>
> How would that have helped? the US benefited in that the Soviet Union
> created the first biological weapon, when the US originally thought it would
> be impossible.  First person in space, first sat. in space, first woman in
> space, first space station in space, first lander on venus. One can go on
> and on about the accomplishments of the former Soviet Union. Also, the only
> reason why the Soviet Union collapsed was the lack of re-investment back
> into their industries, thus, not enought hard currency coming back into the
> coffers (government's treasury) to pay the bills. The US didn't go to good
> either, ballooning the debt to 2 trillion dollars, over half of it due to
> Vietnam, which they lost miserably, which funny enough, the US still treats
> it as though they won.

I've never heard any American, no matter how stupid (and there is a hell
of a lot of stupidity among the populace) express a belief that we won in
Viet Nam.

Hell, the first thing the Army did was do studies to figure out why
we lost.

The results of that study are in a book titled "On Strategy: A Critical
Analysis of the Vietnam war" by Col. Harry G. Summers.  Col. Summers
then used this as the TEXTBOOK for his class on this topic at the
US Army's Carlisle Barracks school (where officers go for field
grade and higher studies)

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death
> nobody hears your scream's
>
> Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
> however, in New Zealand and Australia
> a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)
>
> For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
> Seek and ye shall find

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:22:04 +1200

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>>I would view any numbers concerning market
>>share of Linux compared to Windows with great
>>skepticism.  How can IDC or anyone else possibly
>>know about all the RedHat systems I installed
>>in my home?
>>

> Who cares what you run in your home. We're talking about
> real businesses making critical decisions that effect their
> bottom line. It appears that they don't chose Linux.

They choose Microsoft not because it is superior but because the support
is sooooooo cheap as there is an excess supply of MSCE's and other
Microsoft supported drivil.  However, who wants to use a MSCE?
considering the number of WIndows NT servers that aren't properly
secured by these mouse "point'n'click" jocks.  Stick to UNIX for REAL
work, not these half ass attempts to woo UNIX admins over.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:25:57 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > > The first thing that Americans are proud of is their proper use of the
> > > word 'there'.  The second thing that we Americans are proud of is both
> >
> > Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.
> >
> > > our level of education and the fact that we pay for our own education.
> >
> > Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.
> >
> > > Americans learn a sense of  accomplishment and independence at an early
> > > age.
> >
> > Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
> > independence?
> >

> > > Unlike your country, we Americans do not feel the need to have our
> > > government take the majority of our income and then dole it back out to
> > > us as seen fit.
> >
> > maximum of 40% is not a majority.
> >
> > > Most all medical programs in Eurpoe are a complete disaster.   The NHS
> > > in the UK should be disbanded immediately.
> >
> > Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
> > disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
> > something we should be proud of.
> >

> > > Nowhere in the world does an individual have a greater chance of success
> > > building a small business than in the USA.  No other nation on Earth
> > > puts more money into research and development than the USA.
> >
> > Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?
> >
> > > Without the USA, mother Russia would have gobbled up most all of Europe
> > > long ago.
> >
> > Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> > free" long ago.
> >

> Thats true.  If I recall it was in the civil war that Russia sent over a
> fleet that stopped England and France from picking up the pieces.

What happened was, Vladivostok Harbor got iced-in, so the fleet went
to California (as Russia STILL had settlements in California at
that time...for example, Sevastapol, Calif. was originally a
Russian settlement from when they were colonizing the entire
Pacific coast.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:27:03 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:37:43 -0500, B. P. Uecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Bob Hauck wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>>Yes, I'm a dumbass and you are superior.  Do you feel better now?
>>
>>No, we're really back to square one.
>
>>But I am appalled that she couldn't come up with the answer.
>
>But why do you care?  She's not _your_ IT person.  I am not her boss either,
>so telling me that she's worthless is, well, worthless.

I care because people like her cause people like you to say "Windows
sucks, it can't do ___".  I can't tell you how many times I've seen
poorly configured boxes blamed on a software company.  True, I don't
work with her, but it's like seeing someone turn off their computer by
unplugging it, you just have a reflexive desire to make them STOP
doing that.  Perhaps it's altruistic.

>I don't even know all of the circumstances.  Maybe there's a bug that makes
>it not work like it ought to, I have no idea.  I left it up to IT to fix the
>problem, as I have other work to do.  I'm paid to write embedded software,
>not finagle the NT boxes.

Oh, you're a developer, say no more.

>YOU are the one making it into a big deal.  I just asked out of idle
>curiosity.

Hey, you've got to work with her, if you don't mind that she can't do
her job, I guess I don't either.  No wonder you have script kiddies
crawling all over your network.  I'll bet there are rootkits in just
about every server on the LAN.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:28:54 -0400

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:

> > > Spelling flames are the lowest form of flame.

> > > Is that something to be proud of? I don't see how either way.

> > > Through their parents paying for education? How does that teach
> > > independence?

> > > maximum of 40% is not a majority.

> > > Well, I'm glad you don't live here, because I do not want to see the NHS
> > > disappearing any time. I think it is a quite amazing service and
> > > something we should be proud of.

> > > Do you have any evidence to back this up, or are you just spouting?

> > > Without mother Russia, the Nazia would have gobbled up the "land of the
> > > free" long ago.
> > >

> > Thats true.  If I recall it was in the civil war that Russia sent over a
> > fleet that stopped England and France from picking up the pieces.
>
> What's true?  Are you suggesting that America was saved because of
> Russia???

It wasn't be design....but that was the result

The Russian fleet couldn't get into Vladivostok because of ice.
So, they set sail for their North American settlements in California.

Well, The Crimean (France and Britain allied against Russia) had
ended only a few years earlier...and when the ENTIRE Pacific Fleet
of the Russian navy showed up, the Frogs and Brits hastily fled
the area.

> First off, the Nazis didn't kill 20 million Russians.  Stalin killed
> 20 million Russians by leaving them out in the freezing elements
> without supplies for extended periods of time.
>
> Nazi Germany and Japan needed petro and that petro came from the east
> indies region of the world where American military was in full force.
>
> America had Germany both by power and by strategic positioning.
>
> Europe can thank the good ol' USofA for saving the world!
>
> End of story!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:56:11 -0700

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9g9vfk$m84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <TaWV6.679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stephen S. Edwards II"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >> Stephen S. Edwards II spouted:

> >> The Japs. The Japs brought the US into WWII. What's the matter, don't
> >> you go to the cinema?
> >
> > Perhaps that was poorly worded.  As I said in my reply to Steve, if
> > Europe had banded together properly to face off against the Nazis, they
> > would have squished them instantly.  Japan never would have been
> > influenced to attack us, and we wouldn't have gotten dragged into it in
> > the first place.
> >
> > And as for Pearl Harbor, I have no interest in seeing Hollywierd's
> > interpretation of events.
>
> Eh?
>
> The Japs certainly destroyed Pearl Harbour which was one of the key
> events in the war.

Yes, it was _the event_ which brought us into it,
but it never would have happened if Europe had
properly banded together.  The only reason why
the Japanese attacked was because we (the U.S.
and Canada) were one of the few thwarting forces
left.  That's all I'm saying.

A lack of patriotism led to their falling in
the end as well (the Nazis). The Japanese, long
known to be conquerors, needed something a bit
more drastic... the A-bomb.

Do you see what I'm trying to say here?

> However, I agree with you about holywood's interpretation. I have read
> several scathing reviews about yet another rewrite of history. Much like
> U571. Disgusting if you ask me.

You can thank the liberals in this country for that
kind of tripe.  People like Oliver Stone.  Furrfu.

And if you ask me, the very fact that Alec Baldwin
is in PH is enough for me to ignore its existence.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:04:05 -0700

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3b28eb00$0$94313$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:F6TV6.314$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9g72gl$qqf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Ignorance must be bliss in the US, hence the reason why so many
> > > groups/nations just want to blow the crap out of the country.
> > >
> > > Have you ever been outside the US once? maybe you should realise the
world
> > > doesn't stop at the shores of the US.
> >
> > Germany, Japan, France, Egypt, Holland, etc.
> >
> > As I said, all of the alternatives I've seen
> > so far suck.  Hence, why I've stayed here.
> >
> > *Yawn!*
> >
> > Same old same old.  Non-U.S. folks always say
> > that very same statement, when their reason
> > runs out, and they have no more ammo to back
> > up their ludicrous socialist ideals.  "Have
> > you ever been outside the U.S.?"  How typical.
> >
> > BTW, how many times has the U.S. been invaded?
>
> Actually, the British invaded in the War of 1812,
> but they were quickly disposed of.

True, but that was before we were a complete nation.
We were still just learning to walk.

> > Zero.
> >
> > But still, I guess our way of life must be
> > weak and pathetic nonetheless, because some
> > socialist ne'er-do-well weenie on the other
> > side of the world says so.
>
> From what I gather, Matthew is a Kiwi.
>
> What is it with Kiwis that they are so self
> important? They are way worse than even Brits.
> They list New Zealand along with the US, Britain,
> Chinda, and the former Soviet Union, as if
> New Zealand is larger than just that little island.

Pardon?  What exactly is a "Kiwi"?