From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: the world thinks there is only windows. yahoo sucks.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:46:00 -0700

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yep!  You're right!  It does give a damn error message.  I'm using
> Solaris 8.
> Well Yahoo can go piss up a rope!

I think that's funny as hell.  It displays the page in Mozilla perfectly,
then goes off on that error message bullshit.  I can reload the page from
cache and Mozilla doesn't have any problem with it.

Yet just another case of a dumb web designer.  For the same reason I don't
think you should be allowed to drive a car unless you can put gas in the
tank, this guy shouldn't be allowed to design webpages unless he's proved
he can do it with Notepad.

I guess Yahoo's not paying as well these days.....

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Howe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:41:43 +0100

> For a long time, Sybase didn't promote C++ (and it largely still doesn't
> today, though it acquired Powersoft, who had the long-acknowledged king of
> the non-MS C++ compilers, Watcom C++, in its arsenal).
> Exactly how much do you hear about Sybase and C++ today? (Powersoft and
> Watcom, which Powersoft bought in the early 1990s, are
> class-library-agnostic as companies, and licensed both ObjectWindows and
> MFC.)  Watcom C++, even with MFC, was known for producing tighter code
than
> Microsoft's own compiler.  (Even Microsoft doesn't dispute this.)

Well, Sybase is open sourcing Watcom C/C++ and Fortran. See
www.openwatcom.org

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase], a member of the OpenWatcom development team
London UK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 02:43:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ritchie started his Unix project LONG before Bell pulled out of Multics.
>
>He started Unix because he wanted to play 'Space Travel' and Multics
>wasn't up to the task.

You're mistaking Dennis for Ken Thompson.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Howe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:43:43 +0100

> I don't think Watcom was compatible with MFC, since it required a few
> extensions which Watcom didn't support.

Not that I know of. There are some issues connected with templates but they
can be worked around.

From: "Stephen Howe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:44:51 +0100

> Just to quible- MFC does not need any language
> extensions. It *does* need some rudimentary template
> support, plus exceptions, so maybe Watcom gets tripped
> up there.

True for 32-bit MFC, not true for 16-bit MFC.
--
Stephen Howe [TeamSybase]
London UK

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat video problems.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:51:51 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 18:45:05 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>www.linux-laptops.net
>

> Something wrong with that link at least at the moment?

Skip the "s".  It should be:

http://www.linux-laptop.net

Gary

------------------------------

From: Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:03:45 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> --
> (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> /d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
> r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
> d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

Is that Postscript? I know a tiny bit of it from using psplot in LATeX.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:09:55 -0400

Peter K=F6hlmann wrote:
> =

> JS | PL wrote:
> > operating systems. But I do know that Windows XP saves the consumer m=
oney
> > in ways which are far above and beyond the price of the list price.
> > Actually if you add in savings realized in NOT seperately purchasing =
it's
> > newest bundled software, CD burner software, video editing, etc... th=
e OS
> > could be considered *FREE* for some.
> >
> JS\\PL, you somehow  mixed Linux and Windows.
> With Linux you get the CD burner Software, a full office suite, complet=
> server software for the asking or for a nominal fee (for the media). Th=
ats
> right, and you said it, it=B4s free. Windows on the other hand costs mo=
ney,
> and lots of that to boot.

Hey, even the $69.95 (US) for SuSe 7.1 Professional isn't that
expensive.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:08:29 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Nick Condon wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > >Let us not forget Nikolai Tesla.  Without his advanced thinking we
> > >wouldn't have TV, Radio, solenoids, AC power, etc.  He got out of Europe
> > >from the "Impossible, can't be done" crowd.  He came to America where he
> > >could freely invent and test.
> >
> > And promptly had all his ideas robbed by Edison, who had better patent
> > lawyers.
> >
> > --
> > Nick
>
> It's too bad too.  Tesla in my mind was a true genius.
> DuPont turned down Teslas recommendations to make free energy.
> No profits could be had so he turned down the idea and even pulled back
> some funding for teslas other research.
> Edison was a businessman... and a marketer.  Edison went so far as to
> use AC power to electrocute a horse in public to show how dangerous AC
> was over DC.

And cows, too.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:03:36 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:58:43 -0700
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >Let us not forget Nikolai Tesla.  Without his advanced thinking we
> > >wouldn't have TV, Radio, solenoids, AC power, etc.  He got out of Europe
> > >from the "Impossible, can't be done" crowd.  He came to America where he
> > >could freely invent and test.  And I have to agree with Tesla about
> > >Edison too.... a screwdriver mechanic.
> >
> > Ah, yes.  Unfortunately for Tesla, he became rather crazy in his
> > later years; but I'd forgotten about him.
> >
> > I'd say that one's rather obvious. :-)  As for Edison -- I can't say.
> > I'm not familiar with their interactions.  I was always under the
> > impression that Edison tried a large number of materials before
> > settling on carbon fiber for his inaugural light bulb.  :-)
> > (Tungsten came somewhat later.)
> >
> > (Side note: Believe it or not, there's at least one bulb out there
> > that has been burning for 100 years.)
>
> Now that you mention it, I read somewhere in a newspaper after the
> collapse of the Berlin Wall, that most of the light bulbs in Russia were
> hard wired in and have been lit for over 40 years.  Does that mean our
> light bulbs are planned obsolesence?

yes

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:05:01 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:33:59 -0700
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >Now we are supposed to feed them too?  Why don't the Dutch do it?
> >
> > Because we have the surplus food and the Netherlands does not.
> > Simple enough, I would think. :-)
> >
> > Of course, I would hope that we start setting up things with
> > the Russians to increase their grain production (for a cut of
> > the profits, of course).  That would help in feeding them,
> > increasing their vodka production, and indirectly feeding
> > the entire world.
> >
> > Ditto for the Chinese, although I don't think they have as much
> > of a problem.
> >

> I hear that a lot of entrepeneurs in Russia will eventually get there.
> It's almost a parallel to our early 20's what Russia is going thru now.
> It will take time for things to settle out... if they are allowed to
> that is.

Yes....if you go to Russia, that's EXACTLY how it feels,...and what
it looks like.

Look at pictures of New York in the 1920's...and modern day Russia
looks the same...

it's.....weird.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:09:36 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >This just gets funnier every day.
>
> Are you trying to replace Kookis as the chief newsgroup idiot?  Don't
> try.  For one, he's a lot smarter than you are.  He's not totally

Thank you  ;-)

> ignorant of the most basic facts of history.  Maybe read some books,
> go to college, then come back.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:11:04 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> chrisv wrote:

> > >What? Are you referring to how you went round driving people out of
> > >their homes, and skinning them alive etc?

> > >Yeah, you sent a couple of men over to Europe after the Nazis were on
> > >their last legs, and then wiped out hundreds of thousands of innocent
> > >women and children in Japan. Now THERE'S something to be proud of.
> >
> > You see, you lose all credibility with statements like this.  It only
> > shows you to be totally ignorant of history, or that your just an
> > anti-american a-hole, or, more likely, both.
> >
> > Try to choose your battles.  Not everything about America is bad,
> > obviously.
>
> Maybe he still has his finger in the dike.
                                       ^^^^

In DrSquare's case... it would be......dyke.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Colin Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:21:27 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> > Unix executables have to be chmod u+x bfore anything can happen. losedos
> > executable files are executable by default.
>
> That's irrelevant. If a user wants to run a program, they're going
> to run it regardless if they have to +x it or double click on it.

Home users may be able to do this, but users on a large system? They
wouldn't have permission to +x such binaries in the first place.

> The fact remains that if a user runs a damaging executable on
> either OS, it can cause as much or as little damage as the user
> has privileges.

But UNIX users have far fewer privileges than Win9x users. Not sure
about NT/Win2K.

Colin Day