Linux-Advocacy Digest #256, Volume #35           Fri, 15 Jun 01 06:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Here's a switch for a change ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Getting used to Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Getting used to Linux ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: IBM Goes Gay ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: IBM Goes Gay ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and     (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and        ignorance...)
("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
("Edward Rosten")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux         starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! ("Edward Rosten")

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:08:10 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Except my wifes HP 8175... 48Mb ram, 6Gb harddrive.... winmodem...
> cd-rom
> PII-mmx.... it runs too slow with win98se on it as it is.  Doubt that it
> would do any better under XP.

Get more RAM, 48Mb is not really adeque even for Win98.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:13:14 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > No.  It had become a moot point anyway... MS says I don't qualify.
> > > I'll go to Metrowerks compiler.  They make compilers for a lot of
> > > different platforms.
> >
> > What do you mean, you don't qualify?
> > You mean that you can't get the SP?
>
> That is correct.  They won't give me one.

I understand that you are on 28.8
I suggest that you would get Go!zilla or download accelerator and download
it.
Shouldn't take more than a week, at most. :-)

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:11:05 +0200

"B. P. Uecker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bob Hauck wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >>No, we're really back to square one.
> >
> >>But I am appalled that she couldn't come up with the answer.
> >
> >But why do you care?  She's not _your_ IT person.  I am not her boss
either,
> >so telling me that she's worthless is, well, worthless.
>
> I care because people like her cause people like you to say "Windows
> sucks, it can't do ___".  I can't tell you how many times I've seen
> poorly configured boxes blamed on a software company.  True, I don't
> work with her, but it's like seeing someone turn off their computer by
> unplugging it, you just have a reflexive desire to make them STOP
> doing that.  Perhaps it's altruistic.

I've once met someone who did something like that.
He had a extention cord with a switch, so you can turn on/off the power, and
that is how they turn their computer on/off.
I'd to come by to see why his computer kept losing files, and nearly beat
him up when I saw him do it.
When I asked him why he did it, he said "Well, it's the power button, duh!"

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:39:04 +0100

>> um... the religous war is simple, much like the vi/emacs war.
>>
>> VI and proud of it.
>>
>> -Ed
>>
> I find I use vi or vim a lot.  Vi loads up faster than xemacs. One of
> these days I'll buy O'reilleys little book on vi.

Its a good book. There are loads of things I didn't know about vi, never
mind vim.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:40:12 +0100

> Well, I use XEmacs, not GNU. What is the explanation for that then?
> (Demonic infighting comes to mind)

Emacs is Satanic. XEmacs is the product of Beelzebub.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What language are use to program Linux stuff?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:44:55 +0100

>> > BBC BASIC is a steaming pile too.  HTH!
>>
>> It's the best BASIC there is and it gets in the way least. Besides this
>> is a religious issue.
>
> That's one particular cesspit whose mastery of I wouldn't hurry to
> proclaim that widely.  :^)
>
> Donal (I've written many programs in Beeb Basic, so I know how bad it
> is.)

There's no shame coz I had no choice:

I started on BBC Basic, since those were the computers my junior school
had.

Later, I moved on to QB since my dad didn't want anything put on his
computer that might have a virus, and it came with QB, so I have a lot of
experience with QB.

Eventualy, I got my own computer and a C compiler (thank god).

Having seen some of the more recent versions of BBC Basic (circa 1997
version), it has most of the features that BBC Basic was missing. The
other great thing abou tBBC Basic is that it came with a symbolic
assembler which you could use in conjunction with the BASIC if you
wanted. That made it truly useful.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:50:45 +0100

>>> Yeah, buta large book is a bit of an arse to have to cope with. Or you
>>> could connect the computer up to the telly and read everything off the
>>> there, with the keyboard on your lap.
>>
>>The good ones split up the books in to several managable volumes.
>
> Which means even more arsing about trying to find what you're looking
> for.

Well, looking at a copy of the complete Oxford English Dictionary (I
don't own one, its in the library), you can easily identify the required
volume since the range is on the spine. This does require them to be in
alphabetical order, though.

>>> Also, books are better in that you don't have to launch up your
>>> computer etc every time you want to look at something, and the
>>> pictures are generally better quality.
>>
>>That is true.
>
> Also, you can't pirate a book!

Yes. You need rather expensive equipment.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:54:17 +0100

> Hmmm, but are you free to develop a PS interpreter and sell it for
> money?  Isn't this the exact reason why Apple didn't choose postscript
> for their  display model and developed Quartz instead?

Aladdin ghostscript?

-ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:55:45 +0100

>>> every
>>>>

>>> PDF **is** a proprietary format.  It's owned by Adobe.  It's no less
>>> proprietary than DOC or XLS.
>>
>>It si completely open , though.
>
> Then why are the viewers so bad?

Pass.

Adobe Acrobat is free and a very good viewer. You can also run it without
an X display as a print filter.

There are perfectly good views that work with older PDF versions, such as
xpdf.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:58:09 +0100

> No, I understand the biological definition of 'race'.  Not your fake,
> made up, nationalistic version.

So, what is this `biological' definition of which you speak? When does a
nationality become a differnt race?

>> I wasn't accusing you of hating non caucasians. I was accusing you of
>> being racist for hating the English. There is a difference. There are
>> planty of non caucasian Englishmen.
>
> Yes, and I hate them all too.  Thats why I pointed out the difference.

What have we done to make you hate us so much. not that I really care
about the opinion of a complete fool.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:00:01 +0100

In article <9gb4ag$isl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 14 Jun 2001 07:12:57 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>>So "english" is a race now?
>
>> Erm, yes.
>
>>>You fucking moron.  I'll bet youre engilsh.
>>>
>>>I dont hate *caucasians*, you ignorant swine.  I hate people from
>>>england, no matter what fucking color they are, bitch.
>
>> Therefore you are a racist. Goodbye: *plonk*
>
> Took long enough.

Ah! I get it now!

You're a mate of Kookis and you're trying to see who can get the most
killfile entries. figures, really.

Or are you competing for the "biggest newsgroup twit"?

-Ed

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:59:02 +0100

Mark wrote:

> >> The US created that bastardised system, now its time for it to be mended.  I
> >> have always suggested that the US adopt the west minster style government
> >> via a MMP setup.
> >>
> >> Matthew Gardiner
> >

> >The USA is a republic system and foremost in this system is protection
> >of inalienable rights and personal liberty.  Our founding fathers were
> >nothing short of geniuses and I like their chosen system just fine,
> >thank you!
> >

> Hm, I'm hoping that you're joking here?

I have no reason to joke about my country.

> I would never suggest anyone
> doesn't question their governmental system continuously.

You are assuming something about me that I have not written.  I like
the US Constitution.  I think the Founding Fathers are geniuses.
People (politicians) continusely attempt to abuse the US Constitution
but it was designed to thwart them.

> Failure
> to do so will always result in far too much power lying with far too
> few people.

This is why the US Constitution is so beautiful and the Founding
Fathers are geniuses - abusers of power can only get so far before
getting their asses handed back to them by the US Constitution.

Mark, in the future, please don't put words in my mouth, thank you.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
ignorance...)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:10:27 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > No, it's a republic!  The term "representative democracy" is purely
>> > to satisfy those who cannot grasp that the USA is a republic and who
>> > remain committed to believing that the USA is a democracy.  It's
>> > simply a term to satisfy the ignorant.
>>
>> You seem to be incapable of understanding that it can be a republic run
>> as a representative democracy.
>>

> You seem to be struggling with the word "representative."  You seem  to
> think that the word cannot be used in describing both forms of
> government.  See below:

> "Republican government: One in which the powers of sovereignty are
> vested in the people and are exercised by the people, either directly,
> or through representatives chosen by the people, to whome those powers
> are specially delegated."
>
> "Democracy: That form of government in which the sovereign power resides
> in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or
> indirectly through a system of representation."

Look carefully at what you wrote. If you look at the bit referring to
"representative" in both descriptions, then they describe the same thing.

A republic run by representatitves which are democratically elected is a
representative democracy. The reverse isn't true.

> The USA, is without doubt, a Republic.  Sorry to bust your bubble Ed,
> but there is no democracy form of government in the USA!!!

You democratically elect the representatives.

> This is fact.  The founding fathers layed this out, not me, so take it
> up with Ben Franklin if you still have a gripe!

You seem unable to realise that the 2 terms are not mutually exclusive.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:12:21 +0100

> The term "representative democracy" was devised by the democratic party
> and the tabloid press.  Repeat an error often enough and long enough and
> people will start to believe in the big lie.

BS. It is a description  of a system where a buncha of representatives
are elected (democratically) to run the country.

The confusion is that "democracy"=="representative democracy" which is not
true.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:25:55 +0100

>> See if you can have an independent thought.
>>

> We (USA) do NOT have a representative democracy.  We (USA) have a
> constitutionally limited republic!
>

>> That is a different issue to people being improperly represented, as in
>>  the man who received the most voted not getting in to power.
>>

> We (USA) do not have that system of democracy.  We (USA) are a
> constitutionally limited republic with an electoral college system.
>
> These are just the facts and cannot be argued with.  If you feel  the
> need to write your own version of a constitution and would  like to
> submit it to the American people, be my guest.

I said REPRESENTATIVE democracy, not democracy. They are different. A
republic has overlap with representative democracy in that a republic can
or needn't be a representative democarcy. Rome was republic which was not
a representative democracy. The US is a republic which is a
representative democracy simply because you elect people to represent you
rather than vote on every small issue.

But I can see your point of view: unless it is stated in the
constitution, it mustbe wrong. Learn to think for yourself.

>> You clearly have little understanding of these terms you keep saying.
>>

> Of course I don't.  I can't even find America on a map.  Do you feel
> better telling me what I do and do not understand?

I can tell you don't understand the concept that two definitions can
overlap.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:29:11 +0100

> Mind you, IBM has always been at the bleeding edge of technology. They
> actually innovate, such as Copper in CPU's, the special silicon
> technique use to reduce power consuption. There are quite a number of
> innovations.

Hard disks are one of their innovations as well.

That is real innovation, not this Microsoft crap.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:30:48 +0100

>> > BTW, how many times has the U.S. been invaded?
>> >
>> > Zero.
>>
>> In recent times? What about the time when the europeans invavded and
>> kicked out teh natives?
>
> I'm talking about after the U.S. became a superpower.

So? its a nonsensical argument. The England hasn't been invavded for much
longer. Your point?

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:42:48 +0100

>> The Japs certainly destroyed Pearl Harbour which was one of the key
>> events in the war.
>
> Yes, it was _the event_ which brought us into it, but it never would
> have happened if Europe had properly banded together.  The only reason
> why the Japanese attacked was because we (the U.S. and Canada) were one
> of the few thwarting forces left.  That's all I'm saying.

Bollocks. Europe underestimated the Nazis. The US underestimated the Nazis
as well, which is why they waited until they were attacked to enter the
war. Perl harbour could have been one of the most fortunate events which
happened to the US.

> A lack of patriotism led to their falling in the end as well (the
> Nazis). The Japanese, long known to be conquerors, needed something a
> bit more drastic... the A-bomb.

That's bullshit as well, then Nazis lost because they were fighting a much
larger and stronger enemy with more resources, after having used up most
of theirs.

The US didn't drop the A-Bomb because the the Japs patriotism, they
dropped it for several reasons. The Japs had an active and advanced
nuclear program and they didn't want the USSR to get to the Japs first.

> Do you see what I'm trying to say here?

No, I think you're completely wrong.

>> However, I agree with you about holywood's interpretation. I have read
>> several scathing reviews about yet another rewrite of history. Much
>> like U571. Disgusting if you ask me.
>
> You can thank the liberals in this country for that kind of tripe.
> People like Oliver Stone.  Furrfu.
>
> And if you ask me, the very fact that Alec Baldwin is in PH is enough
> for me to ignore its existence.

Liberals? What are you on about. I think the US and UK definition of
Liberal must differ somewhat since you attribute many evils to them which
are completely unrealated, even oppersite to the things liberals here
want.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:45:53 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "chrisv"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Do you thing the victory was an international effort?
>
> **Obviously**  That's the point.  Somewhere between the idiots who say
> "the US won the war single-handedly" and the idiots who say "the US
> didn't do anything" lies the truth.

Indeed.

There seem to be a huge number of idiots from the US on this group
(either that or a small number of very vocal idiots, which I think is
closer to the truth) who believe the US won it alone. there also seem to
be some other idiots who believe the reverse.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:47:51 +0100

>> United Kingdom:
>> ---------------
>> Ecomomic aid: ODA, $3.4 billion (1997) Population: 59,511,464 (July
>> 2000 est.) GDP: purchasing power parity - $1.29 trillion (1999 est.)
>>
>> Overseas aid per capita: $57 Fraction of GDP spent on overseas aid:
>> 0.26%
>>
>> USA:
>> ----
>> Economic aid: ODA, $6.9 billion (1997)
>
> This figure is flat-out wrong.  The USA foreign aid is 14.1 billion USD.

That puts the US at 0.15%, still way behind Britain.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
starts    getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:48:42 +0100

>> The US had radar, so a large, slow long range bomber would have been
>> spotted and shot down very quickly.
>>
>> -Ed
>
> True... the Japanese did have submarine lauchable planes however, but
> I'm not sure if they could've carried something as big and heavy as an
> A-bomb.

Good lord! i didn't know such things existed.

-Ed

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:49:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:40:02 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>>> thus making it unpleasant to drink, causing the stomach to bloat, and
>>> giving a
>>> 'full' feeling.
>>
>>Lager is good for one thing. It goes well with hot curries. It seems to
>>be rather better than water at calming the heat, but other than that,
>>I'd prefer a bitter or ale any day.
>
> What? NO beer goes well with curries. The flavours completely clash. ANY
> beer drunk with curry tastes like shit. Especially lager.

We'll have to disagree with this one.

Besides, it is traditional British food: lager and british curry.

-ed