Linux-Advocacy Digest #264, Volume #35           Fri, 15 Jun 01 13:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Macman)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (chrisv)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and     ignorance...)
(Nick Condon)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Sandman)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (chrisv)
  Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (.)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags ("JS \\ PL")
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (.)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (.)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Macman)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (.)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (.)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell" (Craig Kelley)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" (Dan)
  Re: Linux wins again.... ("Todd")

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: 15 Jun 2001 10:57:02 -0500

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I would view any numbers concerning market
> share of Linux compared to Windows with great
> skepticism.  How can IDC or anyone else possibly
> know about all the RedHat systems I installed
> in my home?  I downloaded all the software
> off of a mirror site and installed them on all
> 5 of my machines in my house.

if you read the report you know that that is not what they are trying to
determine.

------------------------------

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:56:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Macman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Do you think it is an option you have to turn ON or turn OFF? :) If it
> > > is, indeed, an option you can turn ON, you as a user, have the "right"
> > > to want to turn it on and it is fine. However, if it is an option ON
> > > from the beginning, MS has choosen the default behaviour of the
> > > browser and only the minority will turn it off, or even will know how.
> > > :)
> >
> > There's another issue, though.
> >
> > Even if it's off by default and the user can turn it on, there's still
> > the potential for vast abuse by Microsoft -- since they are the ones who
> > set the default smart tags. To me, that's a much larger issue than
> > whether it's on or off.
>
> But then, wouldn't it be like Netscape's "What's related"? Netscape
> controls what does and doesn't show up in that popup. they keep it away
> from the webpage though, but the idea is similar...
>
> As long as Smart Tages is off by default, I suppose it's just an extra
> feature for those who want to use it. If it's on by default, it's badly
> implemented and morally bad form from MS.

I disagree. Even if it _is_ off by default, it's evil. The default tags
can be set up to do whatever Microsoft wants it to do.

For example, Microsoft has equated Linux to cancer. Would you feel
comfortable if every time the word Linux appeared that it linked to the
American Cancer Society? Or more to the point to a Microsoft page that
says "Linux sucks"?

It is a fundamental issue of control. Microsoft already controls the
majority of the desktop computer market and the browser market. This is
a step into their controlling content and it's incredibly evil.

IMHO.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:58:40 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, The Crimean (France and Britain allied against Russia) had
>ended only a few years earlier...and when the ENTIRE Pacific Fleet
>of the Russian navy showed up, the Frogs and Brits hastily fled
>the area.

Rumor has it that French tanks go faster in reverse than they do
forward.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:02:41 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

>Thaddius Maximus wrote:
>> You keep using the term "American democracy," would you please explain
>> to this American its context in the scheme of the US Constitution?
>>
>Even our pledge of Allegiance says its a republic.

So what? Republic just means you haven't got a monarch.

de·moc·ra·cy (d-mkr-s) n. pl. de·moc·ra·cies

2. Government by popular representation; a form of government in which the
supreme power is retained by the people, but is indirectly exercised
through a system of representation and delegated authority periodically
renewed; a constitutional representative government; a republic.

--
Nick

------------------------------

From: Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:04:20 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > But then, wouldn't it be like Netscape's "What's related"? Netscape
> > controls what does and doesn't show up in that popup. they keep it away
> > from the webpage though, but the idea is similar...
> >
> > As long as Smart Tages is off by default, I suppose it's just an extra
> > feature for those who want to use it. If it's on by default, it's badly
> > implemented and morally bad form from MS.
>
> I disagree. Even if it _is_ off by default, it's evil. The default tags
> can be set up to do whatever Microsoft wants it to do.
>
> For example, Microsoft has equated Linux to cancer. Would you feel
> comfortable if every time the word Linux appeared that it linked to the
> American Cancer Society? Or more to the point to a Microsoft page that
> says "Linux sucks"?

I agree that that would be fundametally wrong of Microsoft, but I am not
agreeing that that is something MicroSoft would DO. Even for MicroSoft, the
line goes somewhere, they care about bad press (maybe not) as much as the
next guy and doesn't want a(nother) lawsuit on their hands.

So even if they COULD, they wouldn't. But hey, MS has unken to new
low-water marks for every big release lately, so why break a trend? You
might be right. :)

> It is a fundamental issue of control. Microsoft already controls the
> majority of the desktop computer market and the browser market. This is
> a step into their controlling content and it's incredibly evil.

I agree as far as "It -COULD- be evil" but I'll wait to look for the
implementation when it's released. :)

--
Sandman[.net]

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:06:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

>>>The US will never have personal freedom whilst their people are still
>>>continuosly brainwashed by Christian ideology.
>>
>>A.  We're not.  Most people I know don't go to church.
>
>This proves little, although I'm not sure how to show better
>evidence myself.  It's clear, though, that the moderates
>are running the show -- one hopes they continue to do so.
>Of course, there's the issue as to what precisely a moderate is;
>the old joke bears repeating:
>
> (points snipped)

Good points.  At least it's getting better.  The morality of the
puritans grows less relevant each year.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:07:40 GMT

You obviously don't know what "DLL Hell" is.  It's more
insidious than excessive dependencies.

As for gnucash, it *was* a nightmare to get working last time
I installed it from source.  If I want to try it again, I'll
just do it through a package manager (I'm a debian user):

apt-cache showpkg gnucash
Dependencies:
1.4.12-1 - gdk-imlib1 (2 1.9.10-3) libart2 (2 1.2.13-6) libaudiofile0 (0
(null)) libc6 (2 2.2.3-1) libdb3 (2 3.2.9-1) libesd0 (18 0.2.20)
libesd-alsa0 (2 0.2.20) libglib1.2 (2 1.2.0) libgnome32 (2 1.2.13-6)
libgnomesupport0 (2 1.2.13-6) libgnomeui32 (2 1.2.13-6) libgtk1.2 (2
1.2.10-1) libgtkxmhtml1 (2 1.2.13-6) libguile9 (2 1:1.4-11) libjpeg62 (0
(null)) libpng2 (2 1.0.10) libxml1 (0 (null)) xlibs (4 4.0.3) zlib1g (2
1:1.1.3) libwww-perl (0 (null)) slib (0 (null)) scm (0 (null)) guile1.4 (0
(null)) guile1.4-slib (0 (null)) perl (0 (null)) eperl (0 (null))
libgwrapguile0 (2 0.9.1) gnuplot (0 (null))

Wow, that is a lot of dependencies.  Good thing the
package manager takes care of it all automatically.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:09:05 GMT

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Peter K=F6hlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > Who cares what you run in your home. We're talking about
>> > real businesses making critical decisions that effect their
>> > bottom line. It appears that they don't chose Linux.
>> >

>> Yeah, yeah, Chad. By your definition IBM is no *real* business.

> No, they're a real business, they just make poor decisions.
> I'm talking about Linux-based companies, of which IBM is not.

>> Moron.

> At least I can read and have basic readic comprehension skills,
> which you obviously do not posses.

This is about the funniest thing ive read in a long time.

=====.

--=20
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:10:10 -0400

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Yeah, buta large book is a bit of an arse to have to cope with. Or you
> >> could connect the computer up to the telly and read everything off the
> >> there, with the keyboard on your lap.
> >
> >The good ones split up the books in to several managable volumes.
>
> Which means even more arsing about trying to find what you're looking
> for.

> >> Possibly.
> >
> >Best of both worlds, really.
>
> Indeed.

> >> Also, books are better in that you don't have to launch up your
computer
> >> etc every time you want to look at something, and the pictures are
> >> generally better quality.
> >
> >That is true.
>
> Also, you can't pirate a book!

I just typed "book" into Agent and found out yes indeedy you can pirate a
book. You can pirate A LOT of books.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:19:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> (And then they expect us to fall over wounded because some lame
>> I'm-going-out-of-buisiness Windows magazine is doing a publicity stunt
>> for some sustainted advertising dollars)

> That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of - I
> find that laughable.

IBM makes the largest, fastest parallel clusters in the world.  See the
ASCI series, also Blue.

If thats a little rich for your blood, you can get a single S/390 node
running vm/linux (suse, ibm) with all the licensing you need (including
DB2 and software) for right around 600,000 US dollars, not including
shipping and installation.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:21:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Not at all preposterous, given their past history of sponsoring "flawed"
>> > studies.
>>
>> "Hello, Gartner?  Yeah, Miller from Microsoft again.  Look, we'd like you
>> to do another independent study for us.  You know, call up a bunch of
>> system administrators and ask them if they've bought any Linux servers in
>> the last year.  Oh, no, not at all, we'll be more than happy to provide
>> you with a cold-call list.  Just don't tell anybody we culled it from our
>> MSVP and MCSE mailings.  Good enough.  Pleasure talking to you again."

> "Hello Netcraft? Yea, Linus here. Look, can we jigger those figures again.
> You know, publish some really high numbers for Apache, low ones for IIS,
> jigger then around a little up and down and since there is no independent
> verification and no one else is even trying I'm sure no one will mind. Of
> course I won't be paying you anything, I don't have any money, but I can
> guarentee you'll get mentioned on Slashdot again this month. Great ... and,
> please, wear that aftershave I sent you, it really turns me on."

Are you accusing Linus Torvalds of bribing netcraft to skew results?

You realize he does actually read this newsgroup now and then, dont you?

=====.

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:28:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Macman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > But then, wouldn't it be like Netscape's "What's related"? Netscape
> > > controls what does and doesn't show up in that popup. they keep it away
> > > from the webpage though, but the idea is similar...
> > >
> > > As long as Smart Tages is off by default, I suppose it's just an extra
> > > feature for those who want to use it. If it's on by default, it's badly
> > > implemented and morally bad form from MS.
> >
> > I disagree. Even if it _is_ off by default, it's evil. The default tags
> > can be set up to do whatever Microsoft wants it to do.
> >
> > For example, Microsoft has equated Linux to cancer. Would you feel
> > comfortable if every time the word Linux appeared that it linked to the
> > American Cancer Society? Or more to the point to a Microsoft page that
> > says "Linux sucks"?
>
> I agree that that would be fundametally wrong of Microsoft, but I am not
> agreeing that that is something MicroSoft would DO. Even for MicroSoft, the
> line goes somewhere, they care about bad press (maybe not) as much as the
> next guy and doesn't want a(nother) lawsuit on their hands.
>
> So even if they COULD, they wouldn't. But hey, MS has unken to new
> low-water marks for every big release lately, so why break a trend? You
> might be right. :)

Granted, Microsoft is more subtle than that, but I'm 100% certain that
they'll do it at a lower level.

> > It is a fundamental issue of control. Microsoft already controls the
> > majority of the desktop computer market and the browser market. This is
> > a step into their controlling content and it's incredibly evil.
>
> I agree as far as "It -COULD- be evil" but I'll wait to look for the
> implementation when it's released. :)

The basic issue is that with Smart Tags, Microsoft moves from
controlling the web browser into controlling web content. That's a step
I don't want to see them take.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:30:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I wasn't aware that netcraft was counting physical servers. When did that
>> start happening?
>> The way they count has nothing to do with server market share.
>> No more than counting houses shows the amount of cities.

> Netcraft has never claimed nor is it even capable (or anyone for that
> matter) of counting physical servers.

> So, a mom&pop ISP running a single BSD box using Apache with 2000 virtual
> hosts (those little 5 meg sites that joes diner and franks car repair puts
> up their one or two pages created in dreamweaver or frontpage)

Apparently youve never had to deal with such a box.  Heres an example:

I can run 3500 of those websites *easily* on a dual PIII 600 w/1 gig of ram
and freebsd 4.3.

IIS cannot handle 3500 websites, no matter what kind of hardware its running
on, and never has been able to.  Microsoft likes you to pile em on lightly,
or buy one box per site.

They think thats cost effective.

Heres the uptime of the last webserver I had my hands on:

11:24AM  up 193 days, 12:11, 3 users, load averages: 0.25, 0.28, 0.22

Its configured exactly as above, except with 3100 websites sitting on a drive
array plugged directly into two external fast/wide scsi ports.  Customers on
this machine have access to all the latest in webserving technology, including
coldfusion (thank you linux binary compatability).

It never crashes.  Its next reboot will be to do an upgrade to a xeon board
w/4 procs, as soon as freebsd 5.1 is stable.

And thats how you do it cheaply.  Of course, if money is no object, you can
assemble a 230 node S/390 cluster running vm/linux and boot up over 560,000
virtual linux machines, each running at the equivalent of 1000mhz and utilizing
a gig of its very own ram.  Choose arrays at your own discression.

Whats that?  Windows doesnt run on big iron?

Thats too bad.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 16:32:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jon Johansan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said green in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:46:41 +1000;
>> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >ah the very long task challenge that would take too long any way to win
> the
>> >argument.
>> >and being an reference source it should have changed (updated with
> current
>> >knowledge where appropriate)
>> >
>> >the best way to lie is to tell the truth unconvincingly
>> >the second best way is to tell a almost truth. (a version of the truth)
>>
>> You're sputtering.  The fact is, MS *has* changed, added, deleted, and
>> modified content according to their marketing strategy, with little or
>> no regard for factual integrity.

> Oh no, not so fast:

> It IS fact that whomever writes the content for Encarta under employ by MS
> DOES change, add and delete that content. yes, true.

> It is NOT fact that this is done "according to their marketing strategy" - I
> do not believe that claim and ask you to prove it.

Actually, it is a fairly well known *fact* that every single company that
controls content of *any* of their products does so for one of two reasons:

1. market strategy
2. stratified legalities

You need to go to business school.

=====.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 10:42:12 -0600

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I so LOVE it when someone claims to have killfiled (or better yet, actually
> done it) - it is the ultimate proof that that person is not willing to
> consider anything but what they believe is true - very blind indeed...

Aaron is an exception, though.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 10:42:52 -0600

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > (And then they expect us to fall over wounded because some lame
> > I'm-going-out-of-buisiness Windows magazine is doing a publicity stunt
> > for some sustainted advertising dollars)
>
> That's rich. Oh, that's precious. A linvocate trying to talk about
> "going-out-of-business" and trying to make some dollars? given the
> "performance" of EVERY single "linux" related company you can think of - I
> find that laughable.

Like IBM and Oracle?

Hrmmm.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 10:45:36 -0600

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well, "DLL Hell" is no longer a valid concept or issue in Windows 2000 or
> XP. Looks like that legacy has been taken up by linux - taken from the front
> page of Linux Weekly News (http://www.lwn.net/):
>
> "gnucash 1.6 and the dependency nightmare
>
> gnucash is perhaps the prime example of shared library dependency hell. The
> executable requires no less than 60 different shared libraries, all, of
> course, with the right version."
>
> I'm sorry but... har! har! har!
>
> "Upgrading to GNOME 1.4 addresses many of those dependencies, but not all of
> them."
>
> Sure, just upgrade
>
> "Dealing with the rest has proved tricky, even for people who are accustomed
> to this sort of problem. "

apt-get install gnucash

Where's the problem?

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:47:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Microsoft isn't changing anything.   *I* changed the appearance on *my*
> > computer.   I can also turn off graphics, sounds, videos, change fonts
> > and sizes, background colors, etc.
>
> You as the user have the right to do that under fair use doctrine.
>
> Microsoft does not have the right to do that for millions of users.

Again Joe, Microsoft didn't do anything.   *I* did by turning on the
feature.   Just as *I* can "change your page" by changing fonts, colors,
turning off graphics, sounds, etc.   There is no difference.

Dan

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:49:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You, as a user, have certain rights under the fair use doctrine.
> Presumably, looking at the text only, or changing fonts, or similar
> things would fall under fair use.
>
> Microsoft, as a third party, does not have the same rights. They do have
> the rights to fair use, but what they're doing would almost certainly
> not fall under that doctrine.

I am still the user.   Microsoft has not changed anything.   Your page
as it exists on your server is unchanged.   There is just a new option
on *my* computer.

The analogy is spot on.

Dan

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:50:05 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Do you think it is an option you have to turn ON or turn OFF? :) If it is,
> indeed, an option you can turn ON, you as a user, have the "right" to want
> to turn it on and it is fine. However, if it is an option ON from the
> beginning, MS has choosen the default behaviour of the browser and only the
> minority will turn it off, or even will know how. :)

It *is* an option, and it is OFF by default.   I had to find it and turn
it ON.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:42:30 +0800

"Linux Admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Linux stops Solaris and the best the over priced W2K can do is come close
> to a tie on one benchmark while falling far behind on another!
>
> http://www.sysadminmag.com/articles/2001/0107/0107a/0107a.htm

Linux could be 100% faster than w2k, but I *still* wouldnt' switch.

Ok,

Linux could be 500% faster than w2k, and I still woudln't switch.

Why?

Because I can get my *work* done with w2k, and I can do my *gaming* with
w2k, and with *zer0* crashes.

Hell, I still can't even get my standard 3com card working with Linux.

Sorry.

W2k just wins because it has so much more built in functionality, more
ease-of-use, tons of built in support for hardware, and just far easier to
use overall.

Linux is a *fine* server OS.  But *nothing* more.

-Todd