  Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell" (Craig Kelley)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:34:44 -0400

Fernandinande Le Mur wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:13:19 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> expounded:
>
> <
> <If I recall right, San Francisco was notorious for gay bathhouses that
> <ran all night.
> <When aids became a problem, most of the bathhouses shutdown.  I suspect
> <that this helped in reducing the spread of aids some. Then public
> <education on tv started via commercials, but the aids has gotten into
> <every sector of life its starting to blur the lines.  Africa, at least
> <what we've been spoon fed on the news, is suffering heavily from aids.
> <Not exactly sure what their real problem is over there.  The news is
> <sort of vague about it.
>
> The popmedia is dishonest about reporting on AIDS in Africa because
> they don't want to burst the bubble that AIDS is a threat to the
> general population, rather than just to some specific sub-groups.
>
> About a year ago Scientific American had a fairly PC article about
> AIDS in Africa and blamed rampant prostitution combined with sexual
> practices which cause small amounts of bleeding ("dry sex", or women
> putting sand, baboon urine and such in their vaginas before fucking -
> no, I'm not kidding). In other words, the AIDS epidemic in Africa
> is the result of the sexual behavior of the victims.

Yep.

With modern screening in the blood supply (i.e. source of transfusions),
in this day and age, the ONLY way to get AIDS is to behave like a MORON.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: 15 Jun 2001 14:36:15 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gdm1h$35d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3b2a2b14$0$853$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> > It IS fact that whomever writes the content for Encarta under employ by
MS
> > DOES change, add and delete that content. yes, true.
> >
> > It is NOT fact that this is done "according to their marketing
strategy" -
> > do not believe that claim and ask you to prove it.
> >
> > Factual integrity is something that can be literally assertained. Find a
> > factual error and unless you can prove that it is intentionally
inaccurate
> > would say you are again wrong. Find me a printed encyclopedia that does
> not
> > contain some factual error - would you claim the reason for the factual
> > error is because of bias on the part of the publishers/authors - or that
> > it's just an error that needs to be fixed.
> >
> > Paranoia is a treatable disease...
>
> Facts mean little, you can turn the *meaning* of those facts around very
> easily.
> I present this as proof:
> http://www.satirewire.com/news/0105/amnesty.shtml

hehe - funny :)

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:38:45 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> And vice versa,don't forget.
> The DLL Hell is the result of developers ignoring the guidelines set by MS
> regarding dll's behaviour.

Youre wrong here with MS guidelines... i recalll some installation
combination of Exchange Client, MS Office and i think IE where it was
virtually impossible to view web pages with IE.

I have a more recent one with W2K. Clean system with Outlook 98 and Office
97 (i think) where installing PowerPoint resulted in a non usable
Outlook...Not even installing Office 200 with Outlook 2000 resolved the
problem since system file protection mysteriously didnt allow a deletion of
the Outlook 98 files .. But what the heck... solution was to remove system
file protection by fiddling the registry, removing Outlook 98 files,
uninstalling Office.. and reinstalling Office. - the good old remove-
reboot- reinstall :-)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "This will not happen again," said the Microsoft spokesperson.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:37:48 -0400

Todd wrote:

> "Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6270970.html?tag=tp_pr
> >
> > Hey everyone! Microsoft said they will NEVER
> > make a botched patch again!
> > How reassuring!
> >
> > Let's all set our watches now and see
> > how long before this promise is broken!
>
> Ummm... they did *NOT* say "promise".
>
> They said 'said'.
>
> Learn the f@#$ing english language.

In other words, you ADMIT that Microsoft made a deliberately misleading statement.

As usual.

> -Todd
>

> >   --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
> >      Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
> >     -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 13:39:13 -0600

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

> > > "Dealing with the rest has proved tricky, even for people who are
> accustomed
> > > to this sort of problem. "
> >
> > apt-get install gnucash
> >
> > Where's the problem?
>
> GnuCash is on debian unstable. The dependedcies might cause you to
> download a lot of unstable share libraries. I understand that in
> some case, it might overwrite the stable versions that you already
> got.

It's also in woody and stable; no need to switch to unstable (which
really *is* a bad idea most of the time).

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:38:09 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> >>AIDS cases.

> >>I never said the 1% bullshit.  Just correct the figure, most cases, in
> >>Eastern Europe, African and Asia are either hetro sex or drugs. Also, I was
> >>assuming thats what AK was trying to say in his frantic hetro-fit.
> >>

> > translation: I, Matthew Gardiner, am a homosexual...who is
> >       trying to silence ANY AND ALL commentary against homosexual behavior.
> >

> Should I be offended?
>
> Matthew Gardiner

you tell me

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Zsolt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:39:45 GMT

Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:12:17 +0200 presented us with the
wisdom:

> GnuCash is on debian unstable. The dependedcies might cause you to download
> a lot of unstable share libraries. I understand that in some case, it might
> overwrite the stable versions that you already got.

That's the whole point, that on Unix you do _not_ overwrite the other versions,
because the shared libraries have their very specific version numbers in the file
name! So when you install another, you get another file on your system, but the
old file is still there intact, all other applications can keep using those versions
that they were linked against!

For example, when I go to my /usr/X11R6/liv directory and type:
$ ls *GL*

I get:
libGL.a
libGL.la
libGL.so.1
libGL.so.1.0
libGL.so.1.1
libGL.so.1.2
libGLU.la
libGLU.so
libGLU.so.1
libGLU.so.1.2.030300
libGLU.so.3
libGLwrapper.so.0.1.3
libMesaGL.so.1
libMesaGL.so.1.0
libMesaGL.so.3
libMesaGLU.so
libMesaGLU.so.1
libMesaGLU.so.3

So, you see I have 4 different specific versions of libGL.so shared library as well as
libGLU.so -
each application may use whatever version it was linked with. No overwriting, no DLL
Hell.
I hope you can understand it from this demonstration...

Zsolt

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:39:28 -0400

"You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:

> Translation:
>
> AARON is a closet homosexual, which is why he makes such a big deal
> about trying to distance himself from it.

Oh yes, the old fag "anyone who opposes us is secretly one of us" routine.

There's a reason nobody ever believes that, fag..

> Perhaps this is why he never gets any sex.

I do...with WOMEN.

> [...]
> > > Eastern Europe, African and Asia are either hetro sex or drugs. Also, I was
> > > assuming thats what AK was trying to say in his frantic hetro-fit.
> >
> > translation: I, Matthew Gardiner, am a homosexual...who is
> >         trying to silence ANY AND ALL commentary against homosexual behavior.
> >

> > > Unfortunately/fortunately AK doesn't live in reality. Supposedly that is
> > > because he went off to war like a good little boy, and somehow that makes
> > > him the judge, jury and executioner.  I've actually always wondered whether
> > > AK was one of those kids that used to get beaten up all the time for acting
> > > like a dick head.
> > >
> > > Matthew Gardiner
> > > --
> > > I am the blue screen of death
> > > nobody hears your scream's
> > >
> > > Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
> > > however, in New Zealand and Australia
> > > a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)
> > >
> > > For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
> > > Seek and ye shall find
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > L: This seems to have reduced my spam. Maybe if everyone does it we
> >    can defeat the email search bots.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > K: Truth in advertising:
> >         Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shalala,
> >         Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan,
> >         Special Interest Sierra Club,
> >         Anarchist Members of the ACLU
> >         Left Wing Corporate Extremist Ted Turner
> >         The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
> >         Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:40:19 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > drsquare wrote:

> > > Do they? Have you got any EVIDENCE? No, you haven't. So fuck off until
> > > you have.
> >
> > U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
> >
> > EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> > Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> > Injecting drug use - -
> > MALE 126,889 -
> > FEMALE 46,804 -
> > TOTAL - 173,693
> > Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> > Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> > MALE 4,663 -
> > FEMALE 248 -
> > TOTAL - 4,911
> > Heterosexual contact - -
> > MALE 23,361 -
> > FEMALE 43,128 -
> > TOTAL - 66,490
> > Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> > MALE 4,784 -
> > FEMALE 3,598 -
> > TOTAL - 8,382
> > Risk not reported or identified - -
> > MALE 41,037 -
> > FEMALE 15,533 -
> > TOTAL - 56,572
> >
> >  - center for disease control, 1999
> >

> Can you quote some recent figures?

For medical research, that's brand-spanking-new.

> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jun 2001 13:44:07 -0600

"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > apt-get install gnucash
> >
> > Where's the problem?
>
> Obviously LWN has it all wrong as does /.  according to you...

First of all, DLL Hell doesn't mean a ton of libraries; it means a ton
of libraries THAT INSTALL OVER EACHOTHER (like MFC40.DLL, for
instance).  UNIX does not have this problem because we have this
amazing thing called v-e-r-s-i-o-n-i-n-g on our libraries.

> but, ok, so that installs gnucash and it's very specific versions of
> libraries. But, um, what happened to your other applications that need other
> very specific versions of those same libraries?

They still have them.  If you attempt to upgrade a library that
something else *depends* on, apt will scream at you; then you can
install *both* libraries happily together on the same system.

> The funny part is that when DLL hell wasn't a phrase yet and Win95
> was new and these things were first mentioned, we (Windows
> advocates) too laughed and said, "Setup.exe - where's the problem?"
> and didn't get it. Well, we lived through it and it sucked. Pretend
> it isn't an issue... be our guests...

And how have you solved it, exactly?  AFAIK, Windows 2000 still has
DLL hell, but instead of implementing library versions, they installed
some facist piece of software that writes over any libraries that an
application installer installs.  That falls under the 'kludge'
category, if I'm not mistaken.