  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux      starts
  getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:08:20 +0200

Rotten168 wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>The USA kicked Japan's butt... the 3rd Reich was beaten mostly by the
>USSR and secondly England with the US close behind England and some
>other countries. The US had an integral role... mostly it was our
>bombing campaigns that probably did the most to destroy Nazi Germany.
>
>This is where you are now embarrassing me as an American.

While the USSR was essential to the war, and sacrificed most in terms of
human losses, the war was run from Britain.  It would be a fair assessment
to describe it as a war between Britain and its allies with Germany and its
allies.  While the allies on each side (in particular, the US and the USSR
on one side, and Italy on the other) were vital, I cannot see how you could
consider the USSR as the major force in defeating Germany.

And don't you know the difference between "England" and "Britain"?  Now
that's *really* embarrising.

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: 17 Jun 2001 14:12:02 -0500

"LShaping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>That's not Windows fault, it's to do with the ACPI BIOS I believe.
>
> >And what entity dictated that standard?
>
> Nevermind.  Highly likely that was Microsoft's doing, but it does not
> matter.  Windows could unconditionally send a shut down signal to the
> mainboard.  Instead, Windows polls itself to see if shutting down is
> OK.  I have a macroer running which has something to do with it.  The
> same thing happens when I do Start - Shut Down.  Probably has
> something to do with the macroer's hooks.  But the system is
> controlled by the operating system.  Therefore, it is Microsoft's
> fault.  My computer is supposed to shut down when I tell it to.  What
> would you think if you hit the power switch on your TV and for some
> internal reason, it failed to turn itself off?

What would happen? You would have a modern TV. Modern TVs and DVD players
and Satellite receivers and DVRs like TIVO and UltimateTV don't turn off
when you press the power switch. They go into standby mode and there isn't a
damned thing you can do about that. Because that's how the manufacturer
designed it to operate. Don't like it? Don't buy it and don't use it. But
shut up with your stupid thread already. You are obviously quite the troll
but a lame one... Didn't you already post this question before but using a
different name?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux wins again....
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:12:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:

>> >Maybe they did it without authorization, KNOWING that M$ would be
>> >stupid to make (literally) a federal case out of it.
>> >
>> >I mean...the headlines would be TERRIBLE PR for M$:
>> >
>> >"MS sues magazine for revealing that Windows2000 doesn't perform well"
>> >

>> >The press would be all over that story.
>> >

>> I need to VENT HERE!  I'll tell you what SICKENS ME GOD DAMMIT!
>>
>> WHAT SICKENS ME IS THAT BUSINESS'S HAVE TO TAKE ALL THEIR ADVICE
>> FROM DRIPPING MAGGOTS AT MICROSOFT, 6 FIGURE CONSULTANTS WHO RECOMMEND
>> NOTHING BUT MICROSOFT, AND FINALLY THE FUCKING SCREWED GENERAL NEWS
>> MEDIA!
>>
>> Why on EARTH can't the stupid business base just buy one of each,
>> put them thru their OWN competitive trial and discover the god
>> damn answer for themselves!
>>
>> YET IN EVERY CASE, WHEN A BUSINESS DECISION IS TO BE MADE,
>> STUPID CORPORATE MAGGOTS MUST POINT TO MAGAZINES, MICROSOFT, OR
>> THEIR DRIZZLY 6 FIGURE INCOME BUSINESS ANALYSTS WHO MERELY POINT
>> TO A W2K SERVER WITH IIS AND SAY "GET ME PRETTY PLEASE!."
>>
>> We have a problem in this country where by we have allowed our
>> corporations to become infested with stupid management who
>> make way more than their fare share of earnings spouting off
>> things which a six year old could do?
>
>Fortunately, this is changing.
>
>Windows is losing the war, one small battle at a time.
>
>Every time a clued-in manager chooses unix/linux, and provides more
>reliable services, at less cost....he makes his Windows-loving
>cohort look like the fools that they are...to upper management.
>
>Upper management is slowly but surely coming to realize that M$
>is the source of pollution, not solutions.
>

>> Could either of you justify why a corporate president would
>> pay a 6 figure salary to someone who would recommend nothing
>> but Microsoft.  I mean recomment MS everytime anything came
>> up?  Never giving an alternative to anything.  EVER!
>
>Ignorance.
>
>But once again, this is changing.  The CEOs of 20 years ago
>are retiring...
>
>And the new C_*I*_Os are very pro-Unix whenever possible.
>
>As Linux starts to become more visable....they will jump onto
>the Linux bandwagon....for the cost perspective alone.
>

>Users do NOT need word.  They need *a* document application.
>
>And most CIOs are smart enough to realize that users will use
>whatever damned system they are told to use....or else said
>users can go find a new job.
>

>> Our 6 figure corporate analyst was doing that just the other
>> day.  The Analyst was attempting to close a deal on a new
>> phone system with our executives, whilst screaming on the
>> phone saying it was a good deal.  The phone the analyst
>> was on was the one recommended.
>>
>> And it goes on...  And on...  And on...  And on...
>
>If I were you, I'd find a job at a new company.

Resign?  Leave the battle and just run away?

I don't think this will solve ANYTHING.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:13:54 GMT

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Nik Simpson wrote:
> > > >
> > > Of course not, the graphics card is the thing that's going to display
> the
> > > console and there is no concept of a serial port login, so no graphics
> card,
> > > no boot.
> >
> > How did it work in the days before there were graphics cards?
>
> On the PC, there never were any days where there were
> no graphics cards.  PCs were designed for people who
> needed to "see" everything, whereas the geeks in the
> white coats were knowledgable enough to understand
> what the little blinking lights on mainframe systems
> actually meant.

I was actually thinking of pre-PC days, when even the sys admin
had a terminal hooked into a serial port.

Chris

--
"I'll take 'Deceased Rappers' for $200, Alex."

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:13:03 +0100

On 17 Jun 2001 09:55:04 -0500, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nothing gets changed on *your* page.

The page on the server, yes, but not the page as seen by the user. And the
web page author is entitled, in law, to expect that the user's browser will
reproduce their page as accurately as possible within the constraints of the
technology employed. This expectation extends to the assurance that
additional, supplementary information will not be added by any third party.

This is copyright law. It can also be argued that adding additional
information is unauthorised access to computer data, [1] which is a criminal
offence punishable by a fine or inprisonment in many countries.

[1] The data is the property of the page author, nobody else.

>   *I* just get some new navigation options that *I* might find useful.   That's all
>there is to it!

Would you like it if links on your business pages were defaced by adverising
for competitors' products?

And the links that you say you might find useful are links that M$ and
anyone who've paid M$ hope you'll find useful - which is something
completely different.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Linux for me?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:15:12 GMT

Ian Pegel wrote:

> > > Windows IE is a much better browser.
>
> > Crap, its a matterof personal prefference.
>
> Spelling apart, you ask anyone who has spent any time developing web pages
> which is the best web browser! Netscape has to be one of the most useless
> pieces of software ever made. It's buggy and horrible. I loathe and detest
> it!
> You can take a couple of hours to get your pages working in IE and then have
> to spend a day altering everything to fit in with Navigator's warped view.
> Having to consider the needs of the Neanderthals who  cling to such an
> outdated program as a petty means of getting back at Bill is like constantly
> having one hand tied behind ones back.

Not really.  I've had the inverse problem of stuff that works sensibly
under Netscape looking rather screwy under IE.

In any case, you're exaggerating the problem, brahmichari.

Chris

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:17:07 GMT

Nik Simpson wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Nik Simpson wrote:
> > > >
> > > Of course not, the graphics card is the thing that's going to display
> the
> > > console and there is no concept of a serial port login, so no graphics
> card,
> > > no boot.
> >
> > How did it work in the days before there were graphics cards?
> >
> PCs always had some concept of graphics card, even if it only produced a
> text display, it was still the "graphics card"

My question did not contain the hidden assumption that the OS
was running on a PC.

Chris

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:18:44 GMT

Ian Pegel wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>
> > Vi is the only HTML editor anyone ever needs...
>
> Come on! I could cut my lawn with a pair of scissors but I choose not to.
> Just because you can do something the hard way...
>
> Ian

Actually editing internal source code is pretty quick and
easy once you get used to it.  And you can include only the
content you want, instead of finding secret codes in your
documents that advertise what product you used for your
editing.

Chris

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 06:40:58 -0600

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> assist
> single

> you?

> size.

> 5,000

> box of

> root
> tens to

> to make

> > > DO you run a webserver? maybe you should give YOUR account of what
> > > happens. What Microsoft/other vendor says and what happens in the real
> > > world are two totally different things.
> > >
> > > Matthew Gardiner
> >
> > We only run 5 dynamic web sites per IIS server. Even with that light
> > load, they rarely run for more than a week without freezing.  Perhaps
> > IIS could run more static web sites without failure.
> >

> Now that just cracks me up. Do you expect anyone except a penguin to believe
> that? I'm running more than a few dozen on a little 1U server without a
> concern for months on end and you just spue off some clap trap like that -
> silly...

Of course this is possible with weekly reboots and just serving static
pages.  Or your traffic might be a just few hits a day.  I find most pro
Microsoft advocates seem to forget all the reboots and system freezes.

I know that IIS on one server can almost faithfully serve 5 modest size
dynamic web sites with a weekly reboot. It will still occasionaly lock
up.  Serving thousands of dynamic web sites is a figment of Microsoft's
marketing imagination.  Every IIS server I have seen is unreliable,
resource hungy and requires much TLC from an army of MSCE's. Every Linux
or Solaris Apache web server I have seen has been the perfect model of
stability.

--
MV running SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4.0-4GB, KDE 2.0.1
(A good idea copied from Aaron)

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:20:32 GMT

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> And yet, whenever I mention to the penguinistas that
> Linux's lack of a centralized development model
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What hell is that object?

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:20:19 +0100

On 17 Jun 2001 09:39:04 -0500, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > >It's actually very useful.
> > > Perhaps you should withold your opinion until you've actually used it.
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > Who controls the content of these added links?
>
> Who cares?

You should care. You should care very seriously. I care about the political
slant of any newspaper I read because their reporting will be coloured by
their political agenda and if I know their leanings I can "read between the
lines".

If you don't care then there's little hope for you.

>  Who "controls the content" of *any* link on *any* page?

Guess.

Clue :- where does your browser download it from?

Peter

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:14:23 +0200

Rotten168 wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"~¿~" wrote:
>>
>> "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:cSgW6.1273$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > I've heard all of the arguments:
>> >
>> > "Pot isn't a drug, it's an herb!"
>>
>> It is an herb. It grows in the wild
>> It requires no adulteration other than to cut it and let it dry.
>
>Marijuana requires that the plant (hemp) be sexed and separated, and
>what makes the hemp be pot and not hemp is a female plant that is not
>fertilized with the male seed. Remember that hemp used to be used for
>all kinds of things and it was not smokable.
>
>--

Yes, that is one of the biggest drawbacks of banning it - hemp is such an
extraordinarily useful plant (it makes great animal feed, it's ideal for
ropes and rough cloth or coverings, it grows very quickly and easily even in
tough environments, the seeds are highly nutrisious).

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:22:38 GMT

drsquare wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 14:11:15 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Dan wrote:
>
> >Also, I'm wondering if it will be possible to e-mail a trojan that
> >would replace the default smart tags with a set of less "friendly"
> >ones.
>
> Interesting idea. It could be used inside a virus to divert everyone
> to Linux websites...

Hmmmm, might be a good idea.  Attempt to inoculate the user's
Windoze browser to avoid all references to Microsoft.
Turnabout would be fair play, I suppose.

Chris

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:24:55 +0100

On 17 Jun 2001 10:10:10 -0500, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, this is a fascinating study into how some people can so deliberately
> > not understand on purpose just to save face.
>
> Yes, it is, isn't it!
>

> > Either that or they're indulging in a wind-up.
> >
> > Or maybe they *are* stupid. It should be obvious to anyone with two grey
> > cells to rub together that SmartTags are there to alter content as opposed
> > to presentation, and as such are in violation of the web-page author's
> > copyright, pure and simple.
>
> Well, if it's so simple, then presumably someone will quickly file a
> suit.   We'll just have to see.

That'll be interesting. Who will they sue? M$ for implementing the
technology, or the competitor who paid to have someone's page defaced.

M$ will no doubt string the case out for a couple of decades, by which time
the WWW will be no more.

> Meanwhile, I'm continue to use them, OK?

Fine by me. As far as I'm concerned, nothing XP is going anywhere near any
machine I own.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:43:11 -0400

>>What people dont realise is that the button on the front isn't the
>>power button. That's typically at the back where the power cable plugs
>>in. The power "button" just sends a signal to the board, saying - "hey
>>- someones pressed the button? Whaddya want to do?"
>
> You definitely should not be giving others advice on this subject.
> The personal computer power switch, a single switch, on the front has
> always been hard wired to the power supply until recent AGP
> mainboards.  How anyone would not know that much is amazing.

Since the front switch changed it's function, from a hardware switch (which
directly switches the mains to the PSU) to a software switch which tells
the OS to shutdown, many PC power supplies have had another 'Hardware'
switch added next to the mains input for turning the system completely off
when needed (of course, unplugging mains socket is more sensible when
leaving machine for more than a few days holiday).

Also, as others have pointed out, you mean ATX and not AGP which is only a
card bus designed for high-speed graphics cards - I have an AMD K6-2 in a
VIA chipset AGP motherboard installed in an old-type AT case (which started
life as a 286) with hardware switch.

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:33:25 -0400

"LShaping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"LShaping" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> And what entity dictated that standard?
> >
> >Uh, Intel.
>
> Uh, provide a citation.
> Microsoft dictates to iNtel, not the other way around.

Having been involved with Intel and it's development track for several years
during the relevant period I can assure you that Intel drove ACPI. I can't
think of anything that would persuade you of this except perhaps a signed
letter from Andy Grove, so I'm not going to waste my time trying to provide
this proof to you. Perhaps you have some proof that ACPI was a Microsoft
development, if so feel free to share.

PS, your paranoia and ignorance will not suffice.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:36:48 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 10:22:30 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> >> For a start, AIDS is not an STD.
> >>
> >Aids can be and is transmitted sexually. sky
>
> No it can't.

AIDS is merely the name for the SYMPTOMS which were later found to
be cause EXCLUSIVELY by the HIV virus.

Therefore AIDS and HIV are two sides of the same coin.

Do you know of _any_ other disease where the pathogen and the symptoms
of infection by said pathogne are considered SEPERATE issues?

For example, when we talk about TB, does that mean

a) the bacteria
b) the symptoms
C) a and b, interchangeably, within the context of the sentance.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.