On Tue, 25 Jan 2022, Philip Rhoades wrote:

I am just a regular user of Linux audio but I am interested in the history of how software was developed and what problems they were meant to solve on Linux eg OSS, ALSA, Jack etc and more recently PipeWire.

Is there such a documented history already in existence on the web somewhere? (ie NOT a HOWTO) - that would be intelligible to non-audio professionals?

Funny that. I started using Linux in the early 90s. I had no sound card at the time and did music on tape with one track with sync, giving me 7 audio tracks and 16 (well 32 if I wanted but 16 was enough to cover the few synths I had) tracks of midi. For that sequencing I used an Atari Mega. Sound cards were more than my small budget could afford and so I ignored OSS till I got one. I had just figgured OSS well enough to use a bit when ALSA showed up and so was annoyed that I had to figgure out a new audio server. However, my low memory, low speed mother boards of the time meant audio was more of a curiosity. By the time I got something I could actually do sound on (a P4 single core) Jack on top of alsa was the way to do things.

All that to say, even though I have been using Linux from the roll your kernel monthly days, I can't really say much about audio history.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net