Am 15.08.22 um 21:21 schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
I find the destination directory depending on who the user pretends
to be a bit strange, but it works !

"pip install" as a normal user used to fail with an (apparently for most users) incomprehensible error message about not being able to write to the system-wide site-packages (doh!) and you needed the --user option to install into ~/.local/lib. That changed a while ago, so it automatically assumes --user, if not run as root and not told otherwise. I'm on the fence about whether I agree with this change or not.

Unless there is a cleaner solution.

$ python setup.py build
$ sudo python setup.py install --skip-build

(not sure about the appropriate options for other build backends)

"install" implies build (and build_ext, if necessary) unless you tell it otherwise, and that step creates the .egg-info dir.

Chris