On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 03:56:23PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> I have heard/read about systems from Sun and NetApp using SDs for
> caching. Sun uses different SDs for read and write caching (one being
> faster for reads and the other for writes). The storage solution from
> Sun is based on Solaris with ZFS.
>
> I know too little about filesystems design to know exactly how they do
> this, but can someone think of a way this could be implemented in btrfs?

  Linux already has second-level¹ cache layer, it called FS-Cache. For now,
the sole user is NFS. btrfs could take advantage of FS-Cache also.

¹ first-level is page cache in RAM

--
Tomasz Torcz               "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
xmpp: zdzich...@chrome.pl    wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray