On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:45:43AM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:

> >> what real-world application uses and needs this many hard links?
> >
> > I don't think that's a good counterargument for why this is not a bug.
>
> I strongly agree.  Our ignorance of users operating inside existing
> limits of existing file systems shouldn't justify tightening those limits.
>
> Sure, this is a weird corner case.  But given how early btrfs is in the
> deployment stage, it seems worth changing the format to get rid of this
> risk of teaching people to question their expectation that btrfs will
> just work in environments that previous linux file systems worked in.

This hasn't been at the top of my list for a while, I remember a bunch
of planning sessions where you weren't worried about it ;)

But, we can look at ways to resolve it in the future.  My big concern
right now is the enospc support, but there is room to update this
without forcing a full format change.

-chris