On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:55:03 +0800, Wang Shaoyan wrote:
A prerequisite is: when first mounted file system, not specify '-o
compress' options, only on mount subvolume
Below is my test:
# mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda8
# mount /dev/sda8 btrfs
# df
     Used: 56k
# btrfs subvolume create mysubvolume
# mkdir some_dir_in_root
# mount -o compress,subvol=mysubvolume /dev/sda8 some_dir_in_root
# cd some_dir_in_root
# dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile count=2048 //create a all-0 file of 1M byte
# df
     Used:1088k
we can find it is not compressed at all.

Another test:if we mount subvolume with "-o compress" first, then we
mount /dev/sda8 without "-o compress", and create a test file in
somewhere not in subvolume, we can find the file is compressed too.

Sorry! I made a mistake.

According to the implement of the btrfs, after we mount a btrfs filesystem
(include subvol), if we mount the same filesystem again or its subvol, the
kernel doesn't allocate a new super_block object, and use the super_block
object that allocated and initiated at the first mount. So the feature is also
the same as the filesystem mounted first.

Thanks
Miao