In addition to the questions below, if anyone has a chance could you advise on
why my destination drive has more data  than the source after this command:
# rsync --hard-links --delete --inplace --archive --numeric-ids /media/disk/*
/home
sending incremental file list
sent 658660 bytes  received 2433 bytes  1322186.00 bytes/sec
total size is 1355368091626  speedup is 2050192.77

# df /media/disk
/dev/md2             1868468340 1315408384 553059956  71% /media/disk
# df /home
/dev/sdb             3907029168 1325491836 2581537332  34% /home