On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:11:30PM +0100, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> It's been some two years since I read about the becoming of raid5
> etc in btrfs. Since the code is available in linux, why isn't this
> already in btrfs? Is Oracle holding back?

   It's about resourcing and stability. Oracle only employ one person
(AFAIK) on btrfs -- Chris Mason. He does a sterling job of maintaining
and developing the filesystem, but there is only one of him.

   Since well before December, he's been working on a functional fsck,
trying to get it to a state where it won't demolish your filesystem
even more than it already is. This has left the work to integrate the
RAID-5/6 patches behind. He's also been working hard on fixing a great
many other stability issues as they're reported, and integrating
patches from other developers.

   I believe that RAID-5/6 is the next major piece of work that Chris
is intending to integrate, once fsck is ready. However, stability is
better than features at this point. I don't see any commercial benefit
in preventing the integration and deployment of the RAID-5/6 patches,
but simply that there's other things that are more important. Please
be patient.

   Hugo.

  --- Startle, startle, little twink.  How I wonder what you think. ---