On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 09:39:39PM +0200, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
> Am 04.04.2012 21:33, schrieb Shyam Prasad N:
> > On 04/04/2012 10:08 PM, Arnd Hannemann wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> today I experimented with hard links on btrfs and by this used all
> >> available inode space of a file.
> >> Interestingly if this happens even a rename of such an filename to  an
> >> _equal length_ filename
> >> fails:
> >>
> >> arnd@kallisto:/mnt/btrfs/tmp$ mv a b
> >> mv: cannot move `a' to `b': Too many links
> >>
> >> Is this expected behavior?
> >> There should be no reason to let this particular case fail?
> >>

> > What do you mean by 'used all available inode space'? What did you do
> > exactly?

   There's no inode limit specifically. The limit is on the number of
hardlinks to the same file stored in the same directory (and it's very
small). This is a known limitation of btrfs. Someone's working on a
fix (can't remember who, off-hand), but it's not been published yet.

> I created hard links of a file in the same directory until no additional one
> can be created.
>
> Eg.:
> touch a
> for i in {1..1000}; do ln a $i; done;

   This is a little odd, but I don't really know what the internals of
mv try to do...

   Hugo.

         --- Nothing right in my left brain. Nothing left in ---
                             my right brain.