On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 07:51:12AM +0000, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hello
>
> If I want to manage a complete disk with btrfs, what's the "Best Practice"?
> Would it be best to create the btrfs filesystem on "/dev/sdb", or would it be
> better to create just one partition from start to end and then do "mkfs.btrfs
> /dev/sdb1"?

   I use full unpartitioned disks for my big array (8 devices, 9TB).

> Would the same recomendation hold true, if we're talking about huge disks,
> like 4TB or so?

   Probably more so. DOS/MBR partitions have a size limit (although I
must confess I don't know what it is these days). You could partition
with GPT in that instance, but probably better to just use the full
device.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
                 --- emacs: Eats Memory and Crashes. ---