On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 02:07:53PM -0700, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have a filesystem that is spanning about 10 devices.
> It is currently using RAID1 for both data and metadata.
>
> In order to get higher availability and be able to handle multi device
> failures
> I would like to change from RAID1 to RAID6.
>

> Is it possible/stable/supported/recommended to change data from RAID1 to
> RAID6 ?
> (I assume "btrfs fi balance ..."  is used for this?)

   Yes.

> Metadata is currently RAID1, is it supported to put metadata as RAID6 too?
> It would be "odd" to have lesser protection for metadata than data.
> Optimally I would like a mode where metadata is mirrored onto all the
> spindles in the filesystem, not just 2 in RAID1 or n in RAID6.

   Yes, that should be supported.

> Im running a 3.8.0 kernel.

   The btrfs RAID-5 and RAID-6 implementations aren't really ready for
production use, so right now I wouldn't recommend using them for
anything other than for testing purposes with data that's replacable.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
              --- w.w.w.  : England's batting scorecard ---