On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:52:40PM -0400, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Tim Eggleston <li...@timeggleston.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > root@mckinley:/# btrfs fi df /mnt/shares/btrfsvol0
> > Data, RAID10: total=2.06TB, used=2.06TB
> > System, RAID10: total=64.00MB, used=188.00KB
> > System: total=4.00MB, used=0.00
> > Metadata, RAID10: total=3.00GB, used=2.29GB
> >

> > Am I being an idiot and missing something here?

> No, it's confusing. btrfs fi df doesn't show free space. The first
> value is what space the fs has allocated for the data usage type,
> and the 2nd value is how much of that allocation is actually being
> used. I personally think the allocated value is useless for mortal
> users. I'd rather have some idea of what free space I have left, and
> the regular df command presents this in an annoying way also because
> it shows the total volume size, not accounting for the double
> consumption of raid1. So no matter how you slice it, it's confusing.

   It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. So far, nobody's
managed to come up with a simple method of showing free space and
space usage that isn't going to be misleading somehow.

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
         --- If you're not part of the solution, you're part ---
                           of the precipiate.