On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM, David Sterba <dste...@suse.cz> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 04:05:50PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> I was thinking (and Josef just suggested too) that making a
>> dir flag, saying "everything under this dir gets compressed" might make
>> more sense for that scenario than adding a whole slew of
>> on-disk-persistent-mount-option code.
>
> We have this dir flag stored in the attributes, chattr +c dir/, but this
> cannot be tuned further - no way to specify the compression algorithm
> (or for example the target ratio as compression hint), or we can't say
> "never compress files in this dir (even if mounted with compression)"
> etc.

What Eric/Josef suggested, I think I've implemented it in the following RFC:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2840235/

The only thing it doesn't permit, is to disallow compression for
individual files or files placed under specific directories.
Any idea how would this be specified? (not via chattr I guess)

--
Filipe David Manana,