On Sep 4, 2013, at 3:32 PM, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:

>> If I would like to show the subvolume, i get
>>
>>> gspe@jura:/mnt$ sudo btrfs subvolume list /
>>> gspe@jura:/mnt$
>>
>> nothing is shown!!!
>
>   Try using the -a option. It got added a while ago, and has been a
> complete pain in the neck ever sinceā€¦

What does -a do?

I recall with older versions of btrfs-progs that if a subvolume was mounted,
btrfs subvol list would only list subvolumes under the one that was mounted,
not all subvolumes on the volume. I just tried this with
btrfs-progs-0.20.rc1.20130501git7854c8b-4.fc20.x86_64 without -a option, but
with a subvolume mounted and the command lists all subvolumes.

OK now I'm seeing the behavior is sometimes wrong.

[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/cookies
Create subvolume '/mnt/cookies'
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/chips
Create subvolume '/mnt/chips'
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/nuts
Create subvolume '/mnt/nuts'
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/nuts/cashew
Create subvolume '/mnt/nuts/cashew'
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/nuts/cashew
ERROR: '/mnt/nuts/cashew' exists
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume create /mnt/nuts/cashew/small
Create subvolume '/mnt/nuts/cashew/small'
[root@f19v ~]# umount /mnt
[root@f19v ~]# mount -o subvol=nuts/cashew /dev/sdb /mnt
[root@f19v ~]# btrfs subvolume list /mnt
ID 256 gen 5 top level 5 path cookies
ID 258 gen 10 top level 5 path chips
ID 259 gen 12 top level 5 path nuts
ID 260 gen 13 top level 5 path nuts/cashew
ID 261 gen 13 top level 260 path small

The last one should be /nuts/cashew/small. Or the one before it should be
cashew instead of nuts/cashew.

Chris Murphy