On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 09:06:19PM +0600, Roman Mamedov wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 15:54:07 +0100
> Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 05, 2013 at 05:43:27PM +0300, Тимофей Титовец wrote:
> > > Hello guys, i try to convert ext4 volume, but btrfs-convert show me error:
> > > "No valid Btrfs found on file
> > > unable to open ctree
> > > conversion aborted."
> > > Ubuntu 13.04
> > > Kernel: 3.11
> > > btrfs-progs git version 0.20-git20130822~194aa4a13
> > >
> > > way to reproduce error:
> > > $ truncate -s 4G file
> > > $ mkfs.ext4 file #say yes to create fs on non block device.
> > > $ btrfs-convert file
> > >  No valid Btrfs found on file
> > >  unable to open ctree
> > >  conversion aborted.
> >
> >    I'm guessing here, but I suspect you will need to create a loopback
> > device so that btrfs-convert can look at it as a block device rather
> > than as a file:
> >
> > # losetup -f --show file
> > /dev/loop0
> > # btrfs-convert /dev/loop0
> >
> >    Hugo.
> >

> Nope, just today I saw someone report the same problem in a blog comment:
> http://popey.com/blog/2013/09/02/fun-with-btrfs-on-ubuntu/#comment-9704

   It's the same person, in fact. I'd not seen that the one on popey's
blog was doing it with block devices. This does indeed look like a
fairly drastic bug...

   Hugo.

  PGP key: 65E74AC0 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
         --- Is it true that "last known good" on Windows XP ---
                            boots into CP/M?