On 8/15/17 7:48 AM, David Sterba wrote:

>>> If using HOSTCC then I'm fine with it.
>>
>> CFLAGS needs also be replaced by something like HOSTCFLAGS, because if
>> you use something like mips/architecture specific CFLAGS, they may be
>> not applicably on the host system.
>
> Good point. Without a regular/automated cross-compilation build testing
> I think we could break it quite easily. I'm going to keep the
> pregenerated file in git.

Isn't using the host compiler for some binaries during a cross-compile
a very standard thing to do?

The kernel manages it, as shown above.  xfsprogs does it (see libxfs/Makefile
for the crc32table.h and crc32selftest targets), e2fsprogs does it (see
gen_crc32ctable target in lib/ext2fs/Makefile), etc.

Seems that checking in a generated file would be more prone to eventual
errors, no?

I guess it's harder to do in btrfs-progs since it's not using autotools...

-Eric