On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 12:23 AM, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 18.09.2017 05:31, Dave пишет:
> > Sometimes when using btrfs send-receive, I get errors like this:
> >
> > ERROR: parent determination failed for <subvolume name>
> >
> > When this happens, btrfs send-receive backups fail. And all subsequent
> > backups fail too.
> >
> > The issue seems to stem from the fact that an automated cleanup
> > process removes certain earlier subvolumes. (I'm using Snapper.)
> >
> > I'd like to understand exactly what is happening so that my backups do
> > not unexpectedly fail.
> >

> You try to send incremental changes but you deleted subvolume to compute
> changes against. It is hard to tell more without seeing subvolume list
> with uuid/parent uuid.

Thanks to Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> I have a bit better
understanding of -c and -p now.

My backup tool is using only the -c option. (The tool is GitHub -
wesbarnett/snap-sync https://github.com/wesbarnett/snap-sync .)

No subvolume at the destination had ever been deleted.

At the source, a number (about 30 in this case) preceding snapshots
(subvolumes) exist, but some others have been cleaned up with
Snapper's timeline algorithm.

I think I understand that with the -c option, it is **not** strictly
necessary that the specified snapshots exist on both the source and
destination. It seems I had sufficient subvolumes available for the
incremental send to work with the -c option.

Therefore, it still isn't clear why I got the error: ERROR: parent
determination failed.

Further general comments will be helpful.

I understand the limits in getting too specific in replies because I
cannot give subvolume lists with uuid's.

As mentioned, I cannot give that info because I tried to fix the above
error by sending a subvolume from the destination back to the target.
This resulted in my source volume having a "Received UUID" which
wrecked all subsequent backups.

I now understand that (for my use cases) a source subvolume for a
send-receive should **never** have a Received UUID. (If that is indeed
a general rule, it seems btrfs tools should check it. Or possibly
something about this the pitfalls of a "Received UUID" in a source
could be listed on the BTRFS incremental backup wiki page?)

I was previously referred to the FAQ here:
https://github.com/digint/btrbk/blob/master/doc/FAQ.md#im-getting-an-error-aborted-received-uuid-is-set

But in the end, I decided the safest strategy was to delete all prior
backup subvolumes so I could be sure my backups were valid going
forward.

I am asking these questions now to avoid getting into a situation like
this again (hopefully). Any general comments are appreciated.