On 9/19/17 10:35 AM, Timofey Titovets wrote:
> Stupid question:
> Does btrfs use crc32 for error correction?
> If no, why?
>
> (AFAIK if using CRC that possible to fix 1 bit flip)
>
> P.S. I try check that (i create image, create text file, flip bit, try
> read and btrfs show IO-error)
>
> Thanks!

I wasn't aware that crc32 could (in general) be used for single bit correction;
I've read up on that, and it seems pretty cool.

However, I don't think that the generator polynomial used in crc32c /can/ be
used for error correction.  I just skimmed some reading, but that seems to be
the case if I understand it correctly.

-Eric