On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 6:01 AM, Ulli Horlacher
<frams...@rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> On Fri 2017-09-15 (06:45), Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
>
> > The actual question is - do you need to mount each individual btrfs
> > subvolume when using encfs?
>
> And even worse it goes with ecryptfs: I do not know at all how to mount a
> snapshot, so that the user has access to it.
>
> It seems snapshots are incompatible with encrypted filesystems :-(

My experience is the opposite. I use dm-crypt as well as encfs with
BTRFS and everything, including snapshots, works as I would expect it
to work.

I have been able to successfully restore snapshots that contained
encrypted data.

I think the other answers have already provided more details than I
could provide, so I just wanted to add the fact that my experience has
been positive with BTRFS snapshots and encryption.