In discussing the performance of various metadata operations over the past few days I've had this idea in the back of my head, and wanted to see if anybody had already thought about it before (likely, I would guess).

It appears based on this page:
https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Btrfs_design
that data and metadata in BTRFS are fairly well isolated from one another, particularly in the case of large files. This appears reinforced by a recent comment from Qu ("...btrfs strictly
split metadata and data usage...").

Yet, while there are plenty of options to RAID0/1/10/etc across generally homogeneous media types, there doesn't appear to be any functionality (at least that I can find) to segment different BTRFS internals to different types of devices. E.G., place metadata trees and extent block groups on SSD, and data trees and extent block groups on HDD(s).

Is this something that has already been considered (and if so, implemented, which would make me extremely happy)? Is it feasible it is hasn't been approached yet? I admit my internal knowledge of BTRFS is fleeting, though I'm trying to work on that daily at this time, so forgive me if this is unapproachable for obvious architectural reasons.

Best,

ellis