Welcome to the weekly newsletter of the Linux Professional
Institute(tm)!  LPI is dedicated to providing a standardized,
multi-national, and respected program to certify levels of individual
expertise in Linux.  Our goal is to design and deliver such a program
from within the Linux community, using both volunteer and hired
resources as necessary. We resolve to undertake a well considered, open,
disciplined development process, leading directly to the establishment
of a recognized and widely endorsed Linux certification body.

What's News?
------------

(This is a resend.  It appears as if my first attempt to mail this
 to linux-cert was only partly effective.  Please accept my
 apologies if you're getting this message twice.  I am though,
 taking advantage of this opportunity to specificially thank
 some folks who helped us at ALS...see below.  --jared)

New Weekly Format
-----------------
  Today marks the inauguration of our new weekly format for
  posting the latest news concerning LPI's certification efforts.
  We're hoping the increased frequency will help to keep the Linux
  community better informed as to our progress.  I hope to have
  the newsletter out first thing each Tuesday morning.

Happy Birthday LPI!
-------------------
  November marks the one year anniversary of the "birth" of LPI.
  Last year a group of diverse individuals with a common goal of
  advocating Linux through the development of a certification
  program got together and formed the Linux Professional
  Institute.  One year later, on the verge of releasing our first
  test, LPI got a great birthday present: we're now formally
  incorporated!  As of Oct 25 1999, LPI is now an official non-
  profit corporation based out of Ontario, Canada.  Happy Birthday
  and thanks to all those who've made this milestone possible.

Items Needed for T1b and all T2x Exams
--------------------------------------
  Scott has passed along that we've received all the items we
  need to get out our first test, T1a, but that we still need
  contributions to finish out T1b and all of our distribution
  specific exams (T2a-f).  Please login to:

  http://www.lpi.org/cgi-bin/tips.py

  and help advocate Linux by sharing your knowledge.  According
  to Scott ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) we need about 65 items to complete
  T1b, especially items on installing and configuring X and
  configuring window managers.  We need items for all T2
  objectives.

  On a related note, we also need volunteers to be reviewers
  for the T2x exams.  If you're a subject matter expert on a
  particular distribution and willing to help, drop Scott a line.

Trade Show Updates
------------------

  Things went really well out at the Atlanta Linux Showcase.  I
  didn't personally make the show, but I've heard that we got
  great turn out at the booth, the birds-of-a-feather session,
  and at our Advisory Council meeting.  Many thanks to all those
  who volunteered their time and efforts.  Special thanks go to
  Stuart Trusty and Linux Labs for their help and the use of a
  PC.  Also thanks to Jim Miller of Digital Metrics and
  Dan Roscigno and "Big" Dan of the University of Florida. Great
  work everyone!

  Comdex is fast approaching, as well as the launch of our first
  exam.  As usual, we need volunteers to help staff the booth.
  The AC is working with Evan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on a big PR roll out
  so the show should be pretty exciting for us.  If you'd like
  to participate, drop me a line ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Resources
---------
LPI Home                http://www.lpi.org
LPI (German) Home       http://www.de.lpi.org

Dan's Other Cert Articles:
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue33/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue34/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue35/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue37/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue40/york.html
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue43/york.html

Other Linux Certification Programs:

(SAIR)  http://www.linuxcertification.com/
(LPI!)  http://www.digitalmetrics.com/
        http://www.redhat.com/corp/products_training.html
        http://www.enterprisecertified.com/aboutecc.htm

Additional email archives are now on-line:

linux-cert:
   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-cert%40linuxcare.com/
   http://lists.linuxcare.com/linux-cert/threads.html
   http://linux.codemeta.com/archives/linuxcert_archive/