On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:19:29 -0500
Steve French <smfre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Jeff Layton <jlay...@redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:55:58 -0500
> > Steve French <smfre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> For   cifs: use CreationTime like an i_generation field
> >> Seems like a good idea, but what happens if server is unix one without
> >> birth time, eg samba with no xattr support and changes creation time
> >> (ie uses last mtime or some such) frequently - e.g. on every write?
> >> Would that break your aprroach?
> >>

> > Aye, there's the rub. This makes a ton of sense for windows where we
> > can count on a valid create time. Samba servers may be problematic here,
> > but with most of them we'll be using unix extensions and you don't get
> > create times there anyway. The problem may be samba or other
> > non-windows servers without unix extensions that fake up create times.
> >
> > We could consider a mount option or something to ignore create times,
> > but how to document when it should be used? IMO, fake create times are
> > really a server bug. Do we hobble servers where this is done correctly?
>
> Jeff,
> I merged the other patches from your tree, but wanted to think more about
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jlayton/linux.git;a=commit;h=e5b7e004ed0ccdcf5fd3b1b0aff2a1a45023912b
> ie the CreationTime i_generation patch and what happens to servers
> which don't have creation time - presumably e.g. most Samba servers
> on Linux can't get to creation time.  Any additional thoughts on this?

Hi Steve,

Looks like Linus released 2.6.35 yesterday. There's still a patch in my
tree that's unmerged as of yet and that I'd like to see go into 2.6.36:

cifs: reduce false positives with inode aliasing serverino autodisable

...any reason that you haven't merged it yet?

--
Jeff Layton <jlay...@redhat.com>