On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:05:33AM -0700, David Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> From: Evgeniy Polyakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:37:31 +0400
>
> > On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 03:48:51PM -0700, Gautam Singaraju ([EMAIL
> > PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > > Is there any attempts being made to provide software based RSA
> > > cryptographic support in kernel level? I see that 2.6.21 supports
> > > Hardware devices such as VIA Padlock ACE. Has anybody had a change to
> > > use such a system?
> >
> > VIA padlock engine or RSA? The former is heavily used in the wild, but
> > why would anyone want to use RSA in the kernel?
>
> Automatic SSL done in-kernel on user data for socket I/O, with
> hardware offload from the crypto layer when available.
>
> Solaris has done this for quite some time and it helps a lot for
> things like the VIA and Niagara.

I.e. for userspace stuff? That is obviously the right usage, but Linux
cryptoapi does not have userspace interface, so was my question.
Actually I was several times already asked after acrypto was closed, how
userspace can use new hardware drivers, and frankly I do not know what
the best userspace API would look like (in one of the projects I already
used all three methods one-by-one and failed to determine the best).
Simple char device read/write or ioctl, or blocking/nonblocking syscall
over file descriptor, or anything else?

--
        Evgeniy Polyakov
-