On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 16:17 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Matt Mackall wrote:
> >> I'm admittedly a bit of a novice in this area... Why does it matter if
> >> someone watching knows more or less when a sample is added? It doesn't
> >> really reveal anything about the sample itself, if we're using a
> >> high-granularity counter value's low bits -- round-trip to userspace has
> >> all sorts of inherent timing jitter, so determining the low-order bits
> >> the kernel got by monitoring from userspace should be more or less
> >> impossible. And the pool is constantly changing, making it a less static
> >> target on an otherwise mostly idle system.
> >
> > I recommend you do some Google searches for "ssl timing attack" and "aes
> > timing attack" to get a feel for the kind of seemingly impossible things
> > that can be done and thereby recalibrate your scale of the impossible.
>
> Hm. These are attempting to reveal a static key though. We're talking
> about trying to reveal the exact value of the counter when it was read
> by the kernel. And trying to do so repeatedly, several times per second.

I read this as "I am not yet properly recalibrated".

Yes, it's hard. Hard != impractical.

> And this can't be done without getting some form of local system access,

Ok, now Google "remote timing attack".

> This code is largely spurned on by someone here at Red Hat who I
> probably should have had in the cc list to begin with, Steve Grubb, who
> pointed to slides 23-25 and the chart in slide 30 of this doc...
>
> https://www.osadl.org/fileadmin/dam/presentations/RTLWS11/okech-inherent-randomness.pdf
>
> ...as the primary arguments for why this is a good source of entropy.

..on a sixth-generation desktop CPU with a cycle-accurate counter.

Welcome to the real world, where that's now a tiny minority of deployed
systems.

But that's not even the point. Entropy accounting here is about
providing a theoretical level of security above "cryptographically
strong". As the source says:

"Even if it is possible to  analyze SHA in some clever way, as long as
the amount of data returned from the generator is less than the inherent
entropy in the pool, the output data is totally unpredictable."

This is the goal of the code as it exists. And that goal depends on
consistent _underestimates_ and accurate accounting.

Look, I understand what I'm trying to say here is very confusing, so
please make an effort to understand all the pieces together:

- the driver is designed for -perfect- security as described above
- the usual assumptions about observability of network samples and other
timestamps ARE FALSE on COMMON NON-PC HARDWARE
- thus network sampling is incompatible with the CURRENT design
- nonetheless, the current design of entropy accounting is not actually
meeting its goals in practice
- thus we need an alternative to entropy accounting
- that alternative WILL be compatible with sampling insecure sources

> Well, they *are* understood to be estimates, and /dev/random does block
> when we've spent everything we've (estimated we've) got, and at least
> circa 2.6.18 in RHEL5.4, NIST was satisfied that /dev/random's
> estimation was "good enough" by way of some statistical analysis done on
> data dumped out of it.

A modern stream cipher output on a -single- sample will also pass that
test. These sorts of statistical tests can never be more than a basic
sanity check because they only look at output streams. A real attacker
tries to observe inputs and correlate their observations with outputs.